Author Topic: Something Wonderful My Way Cometh....  (Read 678 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
Something Wonderful My Way Cometh....
« on: March 02, 2024, 08:47:26 PM »
I have been shooting open tops for the last few years (I have 6, pairs in 3 calibers) so I have forsaken Top breaks.  Well, I work part time in a local gun shop, and guess what came in?  A Uberti No. 3, 1st Model "American" 5" top break in .44 Spcl/Russian!  It had been back ordered several years ago, apparently, but there is no longer any record of who ordered it, nor was there a deposit paid.  Boss knew I like cowboy guns, and offered it to me, to work off with shifts!  I said "hell yes!".  I put it on layaway, but had to leave town on a family emergency that evening.  I am SO excited!  Pics when I get back home.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Something Wonderful My Way Cometh....
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 09:33:38 PM »
You'd better hope it wasn't ordered for somebody that frequents CASCity and sees this.  ;D

Those guns are cool, but don't fit my hand at all.  You may know, the reason Cimarron kept after Uberti to make the American is because Mike Harvey owns Texas Jack Omohundro's American.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 07:46:52 AM »
They must have gotten a shipment in. Gunbroker is full of them. 
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:14:15 PM »

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 02:31:50 PM »
I like that it is in .44 Spcl/Russian.  I already load and shoot .44 Colt in my Anderson 1860 first model Richards conversions I  44 Colt. I’ll pair the American with one of them for main match pistols. 
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2024, 08:22:12 AM »
Back from my last minute trip back east.  I work tomorrow.  I'll take pics.  I'll do a Cowboy Chronicle article on it too.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 08:25:38 PM »
Checked mine, and it is marked "44 Russian" the under it "Smith & Wesson Special". I checked, and it chambers .44 Special brass.  I checked ejection with my .44 Colt brass, and it ejected fine, despite its smaller rims. Good news, as I will pair it with one of my Anderson 1860 .44 Colt only conversions.  It fits my Oklahome Leather California Slim Jim holster perfectly. Too busy to take pics.

The American is going to look Hella-Cool with my 1860 Henry!  IT will be a little weird shooting 44 Colt from a .44 Russian, but I have over 800 rounds of brass, with 550 of that already being loaded. as my main match pistols have been a pair of Anderson (pre-American Frontier Firearms) .44 Colt (only) conversions.  Maybe the lawman bought the 1st Model American and bored the cylinders and had an enterprising frontier gunsmith hog out the .430" bore to .451" so he could use the same ammo with his .44 Colt 1860 conversion.

The .44 Russian OAL was only a little over .07 shorter that .44 Colt, so a straight bore .44 Russian cylinder would work. The .44 American was only .05" shorter than the Colt, so the American/1st Model Russian cylinder would be long enough.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2024, 09:36:50 PM »
You'd better hope it wasn't ordered for somebody that frequents CASCity and sees this.  ;D

Those guns are cool, but don't fit my hand at all.  You may know, the reason Cimarron kept after Uberti to make the American is because Mike Harvey owns Texas Jack Omohundro's American.

I had actually heard that he did.  I know he has/had quite the collection.  Wyatt Earp actually used an 8" .44 S&W American in the gunfight at the OK Corral.  I, for one, am glad he pestered them.  To me, the American/1st Model Russian was the coolest of the S&W Break tops. I have had Schofields in the past, but I hate the sighting system on the Schofields.  They were cool, and fit my hand, but I never shot them well because of the sights.  The American is pretty straight forward and distinct (if a bit small!)
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 08:45:03 PM »
Now I need to get a 44 American ammo box...  There is a seller on ebay GC1876 that makes exact replicas.  I have some of his .44 Colt and .44 Henry boxes.  REALLY nice.  He has a 44 American box and I have asked him if he can size it for .44 Colt/Russian. (44 American used a small case and heeled bullet, basically the same as a shortened .41 Mag case.  I have three or four original .44 Americans in my cartridge collection I can use in the photo shoot for the Cowboy Chronicle article.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2024, 09:50:53 PM »
May go with a .44 Russian ammo box for the article instead of .44 American.  Only found three .44 Americans in my ammo collection (I have about 20+ .44 Colts, though).  Besides, I have a feeling I am going to end up with an 8" one so I have a pair.  If that's the case, I'll load Bear Creek 246 grain slugs in .44 Russian cases.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 914
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 12:14:40 AM »
May go with a .44 Russian ammo box for the article instead of .44 American.  Only found three .44 Americans in my ammo collection (I have about 20+ .44 Colts, though).  Besides, I have a feeling I am going to end up with an 8" one so I have a pair.  If that's the case, I'll load Bear Creek 246 grain slugs in .44 Russian cases.

I have a few dozen .44 American cartridges.  They're Rem-UMC black powder rounds from a falling-apart box.  I might be able to send a couple your way (especially if a .44 Colt or two could wander my way eventually, as I don't have any of those).  PM or email me if interested.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2024, 09:27:22 AM »
Here you go:

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2024, 07:03:41 PM »
Thanks for the label.  I tweaked it a bit, and sized it to fit on Cheyenne Pioneer Cartridge box 44 Russian boxes.  The orignals were cool "as is", but the new ones have a stupid picture embedded in the label

I also ordered two really cool reproduction of orignals from GC1876 on ebay..  Exact reproductions.  I have his .44 Colt and .44 henry boxes, too.  At $15 each, not cheap but worth every penny.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2024, 10:53:13 AM »
Cimarron called me yesterday and told me my Author T&E sample 8" No. 3 American in .44 will be at the gun shop today.  Because of our draconian laws in Commiefornia (one handgun every 30 days), I can't start my 10 day jail DROS hold until the 26th.  But, then I will have my matched pair: one 5" and one 8". I'm like Ralphie in "A Christmas Story" waiting for his Red Ryder BB Gun.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2024, 06:13:26 PM »
Argh!!!!!!!  They sent the wrong revolver! They sent it in 44 WCF (44-40)!  That is useless to me.  Emailed them to see if they will make it right.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2024, 08:29:13 AM »
44 WCF 8" headed back to Cimarron, .44 Russian headed my way....
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4667
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2024, 07:04:47 PM »
Some folks are just plain picky!   ;)
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2024, 07:59:06 PM »
Funny thing is, I did not expect to have a No. 3 American drop into my life, literally.  I had been working on a stand alone historical article for the Chronicle on the S&W American.  Then the planets aligned and I have modified it into part one of a two part article on the Cimarron No. 3 American.  Part one (the history), will possibly be in the July 2024 Chronicle.  Part Two, Mike's efforts and a review of the revolver, should be in October 2024.

I'll do testing with several loads: Black Hills .44 Russian, some factory .44 Colt, some standard 246 grain .44 Special, and my original 44 Russian factory duplication load of 5.3 grains of Unique under a Bear Creek 246 conical .44 Russian .429 bullet.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2024, 08:08:16 PM »
I have 1000 246 RN .430" slugs, 750 rounds of .44 Russian brass, and dies.  I have loaded 300 of these into .44 Russian factory duplication load (5.3 grains Unique), and plan on loading up another 250 or so.  That will give me enough for a couple annual matches, a couple local matches, and a range session for the Chronicle article.  I also have 500 .44 Colt loded for my 1860 conversions, that I can also shoot in the Cimarron No. 3 1st Models.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 08:14:53 PM »
The correct 8" No.3 1st Model in .44 Russian/Special, showed up at the shop today.  Start my 10 day Commiefornia gun jail tomorrow.  Wow, its beautiful!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com