Author Topic: back to civilization  (Read 60457 times)

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: back to civilization
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2008, 12:14:32 AM »
Leonard and the girl had exchanged stories well into the night, most of them humorous, but rekindled old memories none the less.  When he was nodding off he thought he would have a good nights rest with her here lying next to him.  But the dreams came just the same.

Not the war this time.  Tonight he dreamt about the Mexicans.

He had been riding for a long time and had entered the hardpan of the desert.  It was a trail on which one could see everything for miles.  This gave him great comfort, especially after his encounter with the amateur bounty hunter.  The idiot would pick up drifters he had no poster on and try his luck at seeing if he had caught anyone worth money when he got to the next town.  His luck had ended with Leonard.  The man had ended up insane and wandering for the rest of his days.

Now in this place he felt he was alone and secure.  But suddenly they were there.  Five of them, all carrying hardware.  He must have let his mind drift a bit too far to have  missed them.  He had heard the words “bandito” and “highwaymen” but until this point had never concerned himself with them as a real obstacle.  He was focused on going to where his friends had told him he could get well.
     He looked over the men who were now facing him, it was if they had sprung from the ground.  The apparent leader of this band had spoken then.  “Jour horse, he look tired.  Maybe we can take care of him for jou.”  The greasy man had spat and continued with, ”An’ those things you carry, certainly they will be to heavy for jou without the horse.  We take care of them for jou too”.

So there he had been, out gunned and grossly over numbered.  He had begun to reach for his service pistol with his right hand with his left hand on the reigns trying to figure out how he would grab the second gun if it were necessary.  But he saw it was no use.  He knew immediately that these were not reasonable men.  He put his hands in air in a sign of surrender and glared at all of them.
     His eyes passed over one of the bunch, a chubby man who looked distinctly out of place with the rest.  The fat man’s eyes widened and he whispered,
“Es El Muerte”.  The leader looked over at him and said, “Shut up you fool, this is just another worthless gringo lost in our desert.  And jou”, he said to Leonard, “ I don’t like the way jou looked at me.  I think we teach jou some manners now”.

They had tied his hands behind his back and his feet to a length of rope that was attached to the saddle horn of the horse that Leonard had only ever referred to as “Boy”.  The horse was whipped in the hindquarters and began to run.  The ex-soldier did his best to keep his left hip from contacting the swiftly moving ground but after awhile he had lost conciseness.  He hated losing time, but this time when he came to, he had no idea where he was or how he had gotten there.
     He was indoors and his hands were still tied.  He was now shirtless.  If the one he had been wearing was ripped off during the dragging or removed by one of the men, he did not know.  Leonard was still trying to get his bearings when the first lash came.  That had been a pain that was almost as bad, if not equal to, the feeling of the bullet entering his hip on the battlefield.  His captors were laughing.  This is when he had spoke his first words since encountering the group.  “Yer all gonna die.  I promise you that.”  Another bite from the whip came.  It didn’t seem to sting as bad as the first.  It was either the joys of becoming numb or just blind hate and fury.  The leader spoke again.
     “My name is Hector Morales and nobody says these things to me or my brothers.”  The leather tore into Leonard’s back once again.  “Hey”, Hector continued, “jou see my new pistolas?”   Leonard saw that his gun belts were now being worn by the man who was speaking.  “Maybe jou like to see my silver coins?”  Now Hector was holding out the leather purse that the soldier had carried with him since leaving for the war.  “I’d show jou my new horse but he is being watered and having the hay.  I take much better care of him then his old owner.”  Leo kept his gaze on the revolvers the man was now wearing.  Mostly the steel one, the one that was his since the beginning.  Morales saw this and said, “Jou like shooting these things, don’t you?  Bet you are good at it too.  What if you could never shoot one again?”  The Mexican had laughed at this and motioned to two of the others.  Those members of the gang lifted Leonard up and walked him to the fireplace and turned him so his back was to the hearth.  “Do it!” was the next command given.
     He had felt one of the banitos grabbing his right hand which was still firmly tied and  prying his index finger straight.  The other pushed back on him until he could feel the fire licking at his hand.  And then his finger had been pressed onto the cast iron pot and held there until the smell of his burning flesh became too much for the others to bear.  He now had a useless trigger finger.  For the time being that was.

He lay on the floor of that old place for what must have been days wondering why they hadn’t just killed him.  He figured Hector was using him to assert his role as the lead man of the group.  He would come in every day and kick Leonard, then spit in his face.  The truth was that each night as Hector Morales lay down to sleep, his fat brother’s words came back to him as well as the look in the gringo’s eyes and the way he had sounded when he had said they were all to die.
  “Es El Muerte” Pablo had whispered that first day.
     What Morales didn’t know was that when he had ordered Leonard’s finger burned, the rope that tied his wrists had been compromised by the flame.  Relentless work with overgrown finger nails for hours on end (all but the right index finger) wore the hemp down eventually.  When it finally gave way, there was nothing to listen to but five snoring banditos.  Leonard hated the sound of snoring.

Actually one of the men had not been  snoring.  Of course it was Hector.  He was muttering, but defiantly out.  Too risky to approach him though.  Leonard crawled quietly towards one of the men who had left his rig within his arms reach and was able to procure the gun without making a sound.  He desperately wanted to check the chambers, but did not dare make any noise.  He had to take a chance.
     He took a deep breath and pulled the hammer back.  Highwaymen do not become highwaymen without learning certain reflexes, and Leo had expected this.  The clicking of the old Colt being cocked brought all of them to life.  Then the room lit up with gunfire.

This part of the dream (memory, that’s the right word) jolted Leonard out of his sleep.  He was here with Lily lying next to him.  He heard her soft breathing, but did not know that she had remained awake and had listened closely while he talked in his sleep.

"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Drunken Irish Darksider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • If I can't see the targets neither can the spotter
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2008, 05:46:41 PM »
Cyrus came back into the Saloon and took a seat at one of the tables.  When the girl came over he asked for a whiskey and if they had anything to eat. The girl returned a few minutes later with his whiskey and a bowl of stew with some bread on the side.  Cyrus tried it and found it to be quite good, at least the food was improving under the Saloon's new ownership.

Cyrus took his time enjoying the meal, and as he was finishing Sadie came from behind the bar and approached him. "Miss Lily said to tell you that Room # 4 is yours for the evening if you want it."

Cyrus thought that it would be nice to sleep in a bed for a change, he had been on the trail for quite a while now.

Cyrus handed Sadie a Double Eagle and she said she would be right back with his change.

Sadie brought back the change and a key for Cyrus' room.  He slowly climbed the stairs and and found the door with the number 4 on it and let himself in, locking the door behind himself.  He setlled in quickly and placed his pistol within easy reach out of habit.

HIs eyes slowly closed and he drifted off.  The images came to him, as they always did.  Visions of the victims of senseless crimes, some horribly brutilized.  Most of them ended with with a scene of a man, or woman being hanged for their crimes.  In some cases his mind would replay a gun battle that spelled the end for another criminal.  Then the dream, the memory that always haunted him came,

It had been a warm summer, and a hint of Fall was finally in the air. There was no hint of gray in Cyrus' hair and he had a much more youth ful step.  He was simply a Deputy then, and Prescott was just another mining town.  He and the Sheriff had finished arresting the last of a band of outlaws that had been preying on the local miners, or so they thought.  Two had been killed in a gun battle, three were in jail, and one was over at Doc Taylor's under guard.  That was when little Timmy Nesbitt had come running up.  Panting he gasped out, "Deputy they sent me to find you, there's smoke coming from your house." 

Cyrus quickly mounted his horse, which had been tied outside the jail, and brought him to a gallop.  His house lay just outside of town, and in the couple of minutes it had taken him to reach it flames could be seen through one of the windows.  Some townsfolk were already there and were setting up a bucket brigade.  As Cyrus dismounted he hollered to Horace Atkins, owner of the General Store, "Have you seen Magaret and Jacob?"  Horace shook his head no, Cyrus looked around and raced toward the house.  He kicked open the front door and tried to find his wife and son in the rolling smoke.  The fire had been started in the kitchen and was spreading quickly, he could smell lantern oil and knew the fire and its quick development was no accident.  He called for his wife and son coughing out their names while choking on the smoke.  He was met by silence.  He found the door to the bedroom and pulled it open, the cross ventillation of air fueled the fire.  He couldn't believe what he was seeing.  His wife was tied to the bed and his son was tied to a chair next to.  It was apparent that she had been raped and the boy had been forced to watch, both had been shot in the head.  At this point Sheriff Hobson and another of the Deputies stepped in behind him, they had to drag him from the house before the fire claimed him as a victim.

The fire spread quickly and the bucket brigade fought a losing battle. A few days later the remains of his family were buried.  Only one thing was on Cyrus' mind then "Vengance."  The morning following the funeral he left his badge on the Sheriff's desk and set out to find those that had taken his family from him. It was 18 months before he was seen in Prescott again, he never talked about what had transpired during the time he had been gone.  He was hired back as a Deputy, and later when Prescott became the the Capital the Government asked him to become a Marshal.

When he came out of the dream it was daylight. He got up, washed his face, pulled out his kit and got his razor.  He scraped away the stubble that had grown on his chin and trimmed his moustache. Next he put on fresh clothes and went downstairs to see if he could scare up some breakfast.  The demons that had haunted his sleep were pushed deep again.

If ya can't be fast it's good to be Lucky!
Official Irish Whiskey Taster
SASS 40271, WARTHOG, Darksider, Dirty RATS, RO2

Offline Lily Lockwood

• Leos Girl
  • Active citizen
  • Saloon girl, Entertainer and Dead Shot !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2008, 12:32:35 AM »
     Greeting the new day usually meant waking to a somewhat lonely feeling but today was much different.  Lily looked beside her and saw Leo sleeping peacefully, finally, he had had a rough night of bad dreams that caught her attention.  It's hard to believe that a man could have lived through the terrors and triumphs that he had been through and still be as kind, handsome and compassionate as he obviously was she thought to herself.  She didn't have the heart to wake him so she quietly slid out of bed, dressed and quietly went downstairs.

"The coffee smells mighty strong today, thank goodness an good mornin' to ya George, ya sure missed all the excitement yesterday.  I spose you know whats been going on don't ya? Lily said in a happy voice.  "Ya, Miss Sadie filled me in, would ya like a cup?"  He held up a mug and smiled at Lily.  "If'n it's alright with you I just assume keep on here Miss Lily.  The folks put up with my cookin an it keeps me away from the ol gal at home if ya know what I mean!"  Old George snickered and looked over at her and awaited the answer.  "I'd love a cup, and how about you fixin' up a nice hearty breakfast for our two newest guests and an egg and toast for me.  Could you please inform me when It's ready, I'll have mine with the gentleman in my room and I'd like to take it up myself if ya don't mind servin the marshall.  Then, you can keep yer job.  Oh, and thank you."  Lily looked at George with respect and admiration.  And with a sigh of reiief the cook poured the coffee and went back to the kitchen. 

"Well Good Mornin to ya miss"  Cyrus said coming downstairs as he saw Lily turn his way.  "Good Morning to you as well Mr. Cyrus.  I sure hope your accomodations suited your needs."  Lily pointed to a table and chair, "Ya sit right on down, the cook should be bringing out your breakfast soon, how about some coffee fer now?  Cyrus nodded and sat downand asked, "how's his leg look this morning?"  and Lily replied, " I didn't have the heart to wake him yet, I got it stitched back up again but it needs a little time to take to the stiches this time.  I spect he'd be ready to ride soon, we'll know more later today."

"Here ya are Miss Lily", George said as he handed the breakfast tray over to her.  She thanked him and excused herself and carefully walked the nourishment upstairs to her room.  As she entered, she noticed that Leo was just lying back looking her way with a smile on his face.  He couldn't remember ever enjoying breakfast in bed before, this was especially welcome because it was brought in by such a kind and thoughtful lady.  He thought to himself, this is finally going to be a better day.

Later that morning, while the two were still up in the room, Lily asked Leo about the trip to Prescott.  She wanted him to know that when and if he decided to go, he wouldn't have to worry about her, she informed him that she was no longer a lady for hire and that she did care for him enough to let him know that she thought he was worth waiting for.  This made Leo feel happier than he could ever remember.  He was worried in fact, no matter what he couldn't help it, he would have to leave her alone for a short time in a place that had no lawman and hardly anyone to fend for her in case of retalliation for the killings of yesterday.  He had to make sure she was safe before he felt comfortable going.  But, at the same time, all he wanted to do was stay in this room like it was the only place left on earth with his angel.  He assured her that he would always love and protect her.     
Just a lil ol' southern gal....gone out west   :)

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.  ... Thomas Paine

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 05:30:12 AM »

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2008, 09:37:55 PM »
Leonard said, “Let’s just lay in a bit taday, so long as things are covered downstairs.  Got some things I want ta show ya.  Then maybe when the Marshal comes fer his evein’ meal you could show him up here so’s we can talk a bit before our little trip”.  He was finishing up his breakfast and had taken on a serious tone after indulging himself in the meal.
     “Why Leonard James, I thought ya were only speakin’ with me these days”, Lily said with an exaggerated drawl.
     “For the most part ma dear lady, but I been thinkin’ an I really need ta speak with him fer his own good.  I guess ya could say it’s been buggin’ me.”
     “Oh, that reminds me”, Lily said as if she had forgotten something important.  “He has a question for you too.  Wanted me ta ask ya this mornin’”.
     Leo looked at her and said, “Well since I need ta talk ta him, we might as well let him ask it himself”.  Lily looked a bit put off by this, but she didn’t understand that questions asked by a law man could easily be lost in translation.  The way the words were spoke, the expression on their faces and every “hmm” and “I see” could mean something.  He had no idea what the Marshal was wanting, but he just assumed to find out from the horses mouth.  “It’s nothing against you darling’,” he said.  “Just figured you an’ I had better ways ta spend our time, an’ like I said, I’ll be getting ta know him a bit better later”.
     Lily looked at him with a crafty smile and replied, “I’m sure ya got things figured just right Sugar.  So what was it ya’ll wanted ta show me?”
     “Well, as ya know” Leonard spoke, “Yer gonna be here holdin’ yer own fer a spell.  I wanna make sure yer prepared as best as can be.  Bring over that side ba side an let’s see how ya load it.”  This isn’t what Lily had expected, but did as he asked.  She picked up the old shotgun and held it straight out then broke the barrels toward the floor over her wrist.  “That’ll do ya fine fer shootin crows, but not when yer in trouble,” he said.  “And there ain’t many crows around here.”  He then showed her a quicker method of clearing the barrels and reloading.  “Practice that when ya get bored,” he smiled and handed it back. 
     “Now ta another thing,” he went on, “I would have had another pistol ta give ya, but I gave it ta another man just outside this town.  At the old busted up livery back aways”.                 
      Lily listened close now and asked, “Who, why?”.
     “When we met I was in a bad way.  He had every chance ta rob me, kill me er turn me in.  He didn’t do any of that.  He looked desperate himself an just watched over me through the night, all I’d done fer him was give him a smoke.  I have no idea where he was headed but he knows my name.”  Lily looked at him, not sure of where Leonard was headed with this.  “What’s important is that you keep an eye out fer a man carrying a brass Confederate issue pistol.  He looks like…”  Then Leonard recounted what he remembered he saw the night in the old stable outside of town.  “Now don’t go dropping ma name ta every new stranger that comes ta town, fer God sake please, but if ya see a man who fits the description, tell him you’re waitin’ on me and tell him I haven’t fergot the promise I made him swear when I gave him that gun.”
     Lily nodded.  Again she asked, “Why?”
     “Cause if it turns out I’m a bad judge of character, those words should keep ya safe until I get back.”  Then he smiled at her and added, “He’s lookin’ fer a horse”. 
     Lily smiled back and said, “But he’s got no money”.  This was not a question.  She was sharp.

The rest of the day floated by in that dreamy way some days do.  Leonard forgot about his impending meeting with Cyrus for the time being and Lily Lockwood forgot about her new responsibilities.  She knew just how to handle the wounded man while making him feel like a whole man none the less.  Nobody bothered them.  At last they watched evening fall over the desert sky out the double hung sash that was positioned next to the bed.
     “ I imagine your new  friend will be about soon looking for his supper,” Lily finally said.
     “Yes, I s’pose he will,” Leo responded, “Better prepare ta greet him”.
     Lily raised herself from the down mattress and said quietly, “Thank you Leonard James”.
      He was already thinking about just what to tell the Marshall.

Not long after, he couldn’t be sure how long, Lily peeped into the door and said, “Leo you have a visitor”.  Leonard motioned with his hand and Lily opened the door wide and let Cyrus in.  “Have ta check on things downstairs”, she said.  “You two have a nice talk”.  And then she was gone leaving the men alone.
      Leonard had gone over his speech in his head several times.  He even had considered placing his pistol under the sheets, but he knew the tin star was sharp enough to notice the empty rig on the night stand.  He also knew that this town was behind the new owner of the Grey Goose, and anyone who did anything that hurt her in any way would never make it out alive.  Leonard hated being so cynical but it was second nature by now.  “Evenin’ Marshal” he said.
     “How ya feelin’?” Cyrus asked. 
     “Fit as a fiddle, I got the strings ta prove it.”  Leonard gently patted his left hip, “but we need ta talk before we go off on any grand adventure”
     Cyrus said, “That’s what the lady was sayin’.  Said it sounded like you were worried about me”.  The old lawman smirked when he said this.
     Leonard came back at him with, “It just seems fair fer me ta give ya some details that might make a difference out there”.
     “I thought you didn’t like to tell stories, son.” 
     “Some who want me will have no problem with you at all, so we don’t need ta talk about them.  Some, on the other hand, won’t care who you are if we should cross paths.  Before I start, I’d like ta know what it is that you wanted ta ask me”.
    “Oh,” Cyrus said, “she didn’t already tell you?  I thought maybe she would have mentioned it”.
     “She was going ta, but I figured since we had other matters, I’d hear it from you.  She’s got enough on her mind right now.”
     “Well it’s fairly simple,” the Marshal said.  “ A man here in town tipped me off that the men we shot were coming back here.  I offered him a reward if it was true.  It was.  I would have left if it hadn’t been for him.  He is due one hundred dollars for steering me right.  I don’t have any reason for coming back here, and thought you might and was wondering…”.
     “You was wonderin’ if I’d bring this man his money”.
     “Well yes, that’s the long and short of it”, Cyrus replied.  “He’s an end of the line drunk and not fit for travel.  If Lily trusts you, he’ll trust you.  His name is Arthur Trent, I’ll introduce you before we leave, he’s not hard to find”.
     “OK,” Leonard said.  “Guess it’s perty clear I have every intention a comin’ back here.  I’ll do it so long as you take what I have ta tell ya about me an don’t ask about anything else.  Also, if need be, ya use that badge a yers ta keep me outta trouble”.
     “So you are wanted?” Cyrus asked.  “I haven’t seen any posters with your face on them.”
     “Not so far as I know, but that’s the part I’m gonna leave out, ‘cause like I said, it won’t cause you any trouble other than having ta collect the whole reward yerself.  The reason I wanted ta talk ta ya has ta do with other folks I may have gotten a little riled along my trip out west.  I’m not talkin’ about lawmen with posters, I’m talkin’ about some very bad men.”
     The Marshall was now showing genuine interest.  “Go ahead Leo.  It seems you have my well being at heart.”

Leonard started, “Ya ever hear of kid called Max Ryemoor from back in the plains?  Featured himself a bounty hunter?”
     Cyrus thought and said, “I heard a story once, thought it was a joke.  The kid was an amature and caused enough trouble that a group of professionals got together to put a price on him to get him out of the way.  Trouble was no one thought he was worth more than two dollars,” the Marshall laughed at this.  “Last I heard, something happened to him and he went off his rocker.  I guess he hasn’t been much trouble since.”
     “I happened ta him” Leonard said.  “And if he ever gets his mind right again, I’ll be the first person he goes after,” Leonard held up his left hand palm out and touched his thumb to his middle finger about half way down.  “Ya ever see a scar like this?”.  He then used his right hand to point out another scar two thirds the way up his palm, “Or this?”  Leonard then closed his left fist and Cyrus could see that the two marks would be perfectly lined up in this position.
     “It looks like you grabbed a hold of something very hot, but it also looks like there was some other damage as well.  What is it?”
     “Marshall, it’s a reminder of the luckiest day of ma life.  One of them things that never should have happened.  A story usually not worth tellin’ cause nobody but little kids would believe it.  Max was the only witness an’ it turned him inta a raving loon.  I figgued that when he ran off the first thing he’d do was get religion.  I certainly was tempted to.”
     “Go on,” Cyrus said.
     “Well we run inta each other somewhere before the desert.  I was havin’ a rest an’ I saw him ride up.  Thought maybe I was on his land.  Trails out there aren’t marked very well.  I didn’t want ta get him excited so I stood up ta greet him.  He had a rifle and it was already pointed at me.  He stopped about ten yards away an I put ma hands up an tried ta smile.  He didn’t.  He said he had an idea of who I was an that he was gonna take me in ta find out fer sure.  I told him he was makin’ a mistake an he said that I was the one makin’ the mistake.  Said I should be worth just as much dead as alive.  Said the town he was takin’ me to wouldn’t fuss none if he had the wrong man so long as he didn’t expect them ta deal with me.  He woulda kept my things an dumped me out in the prairie fer whatever critters were hungry.”  Leonard paused a moment and studied the scars on his hand.
     “That’s when it happened.  I had no choices.  Max had me point blank an his finger on the trigger.  All I had was the idea that if he missed I could gun him down before he could reload.  That er a misfire, but there was nothing else ta hope for.”  He looked at Marshall now instead of his hand.  “So I reached.  He fired the rifle instantly.  Without even knowin’ it I did this,” and Leonard made a side sweeping motion with his left hand as if he were swatting a fly.  “Instead of ma chest caving in, ma arm was yanked back and took the rest of me with it.  I went ass over tea kettle an ended up laid down on ma face.  Ma hand hurt so bad, I almost wished I was dead.  He came over and rolled me with his boot.  I looked at him an he seemed confused.  He was expectin’ a hole that weren’t there.  That’s when I forced the fingers of this hand open.  We both saw it at the same time.  I caught it.”  Cyrus raised an eyebrow.
     Leonard allowed, “I figure it was one part weak charge an 10 parts er more of blind luck.  I just looked at it an started laughin’ the way ya do when there’s nothin’ else ta do.  The kid just said, ‘No no no,’ I reached fer ma gun again an he had no time ta reload.  Even if he’d been carryin’ a pistol he’d a been dead.  He turned an ran fer his horse, tripped in a chuck hole an went down.  His rifle flew outta his hand.  He tried ta get up an one of his boots got stuck in the mud.  He yanked his foot out without it an managed his way to the nag he was ridin.  Meanwhiles, I’m laughin’ even harder between watchin him ride off half barefoot an lookin’ at ma hand.  He started yellin’ an hollerin’ that, ‘No no no!’ an then, ‘It ain’t right!’.  I let him go an took his rifle.  I traded it some time later fer supplies.  I imagine if Max can put one straight thought tagether after that, it’ll be ta come get even.  I’m sure it’s nothin’ ta worry about but ya never know.”
     The Marshall said, “That’s quite a story son”. 
      “I reckon it is.  That’s the first time I ever told it out loud.  There may be some others ta worry about too.”  Lenard then told Cyrus the account of the Mexican bandits.  Hearing this story made him wince several times.  It was terrible.
     “Well Leonard concluded, I don’t know what the final score was on that one.  Some of them may very well still be alive.  I only had one bullet each and it was dark.  I know the leader is dead cause I drug him out of there and took him with me until I could stop and get ma things off him.  Wouldn’t be surprised if some of the others weren’t hit by their own men tryin’ fer me.  But then again, ya never know, it happened fast.”

Leonard quit talking then and just looked at the Marshall.  When Cyrus was sure that was the end for now, he said, “I think we’ll be OK, you’ll just have to be twice as careful coming back alone”. 
     The ex-soldier nodded and said, “It’ll be worth it”. 

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2008, 04:36:10 AM »
Cyrus went downstairs to have his evening meal.  As he ate he mulled over the converation with Leo.  He had learned a good deal about the man during that short period of time, as much from what Leo didn't say as in what he did.

Cyrus had stayed alive by reading men and discerning their intent.  He was certain there was a great deal of Leo's story that had gone unsaid, but every man had the demons he preferred to keep hidden, Lord knew he had his own.  His instincts told him that Leo was basically a good man who followed a set of standards, violate those standards or cross him and he could be deadly.  In time he might gain more of the man's trust and learn greater detail about his past.  For now he knew enough to trust Leo as a partner on the trail back to Prescott.  The trip should be uneventful, but Cyrus had papers on several other men who were known to be in this area.  Those men would have gone to ground after the shootout in the Saloon.  None of them should have been riding with the two that were killed and even if they had it was doubtful they would be looking to settle any scores, still it would be comforting to have another person backing him on the trip back.

Cyrus enjoyed the rest of his meal, and George brought him a healthy slice of apple pie to go with his second cup of coffee.  He finished it off and left enough to cover his meal plus a bit extra for the staff.  Pushing slowly away from the table he went over to the bar to have a glass of whiskey before he settled in for the night, he knew he would be up early making preperations for the trip to Prescott.

Offline Lily Lockwood

• Leos Girl
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2008, 12:23:24 AM »
As the morning sun began to rise and the aroma of coffee was all around the townspeople began to scurry about preparing for another day.  Monday always seemed to be a day to begin life over again even though there wasn't a church nearby or a day off for most in these parts.  The miners and hunters and of course people just passin through were all about to be on the go.  So George showed up to work a bit early this morning.  Good thing too because Leonard wanted to do something nice for his new gal before she awoke.

He quietly pulled his boots up after carefully getting dressed and hurried downstairs to the kitchen before Lily opened her pretty green eyes.  He hurried back to the room as fast as he could and opened the door very carefully not to wake her.  As he pushed the door open with his boot he made it all the way to the table before he noticed Lily lying in bed looking over at him with the biggest smile her face had ever known.  She said, "and what do ya think yer doin' out of bed?"  and Leo replied "just testin' this leg out.  I figure if these stitches hold well enough today I'll be heading out tonight or first thing in the morning depending on what the Marshal says.  But for now, I reconed you might have an appitite and you sure needed a bit of pampering after the last couple of days, don't ya think?"

"I never had a man be so kind to me since I made it out west, thank you kindly.  Leo, you are about the best man a girl could ever ask for."  Lily was amazed at this man, she didn't really know if he was for real until this moment.  After all in her line of work lots of men say things they don't really mean, but now she knew for sure he was the one.  Lily was completely smitten.  The next thing she needed to speak with him about was her concerns about protection while he was gone, especially since the sherrif was dead and he and the marshal were both leaving for Prescott soon.  But first she wanted to enjoy this lovely breakfast with her man in peace.

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.  ... Thomas Paine

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2008, 10:22:24 PM »
     Leonard looked up at the ceiling and asked, “Lily, them men who come ta hang the Marshall the other night…”
     “Oh, they ain’t bad men, things just looked a certain way,” she jumped in, “at the time.  You haven’t a worry about them Dear.”
     Leonard laughed, “ I know that.  If I was concerned they wouldn’t be here anymore”.  She waited for him to go on realizing that despite the chuckle he wasn’t joking.  “Do ya think any of em have the wherewithal ta act as sheriff?  Without the hot headed posse?  How well do ya know each one a them?”
     “Well, she said with her head down, “some better than others”.
     Leonard realized what was going through her head.  He was being too calculating again instead of broaching the topic with compassion.  “Don’t worry about yer past business,” he said, “I need ta know if any of them are fit ta keep peace around here fer a short while.  I can cover their salary when I get back so long as know I’m leaving you in hands I can trust.  I think the federal man cares too.  I got a fair ta middlin’ read on him last night an I think he’s more than just a bounty hunter with a badge.  It’s all in the eyes Lil, remember that.  Whatever a man has ta show ya, pay most attention ta his eyes…”
     Lily looked up at him startled and said, “Someone else said those very words to me once.  A complete stranger at that.  You may not have cared for him much, he was a Confederate officer, but I can tell you he was a good man, an older gentleman who took me for a cause one afternoon as I was making my way out to this grand frontier,” she rolled her eyes and spread out her arms as she said this.  They hadn’t schooled the sarcasm out of this southern belle.  “ He approached me after I had stepped off the train in a Tennessee jerk water and invited me to lunch with him.  We ate, spoke of Georgia, and he said he had met my mother.  He gave me money to continue my travels in a manner he said was fit for me.  Then he said what you just did, about looking at the eyes.  I tried it right there an then with him and saw exactly what he was talking about.  That gentleman had no other desire in his heart than to help me.  Me of all people,”  Lily looked off to the side and seemed to be still trying to understand.  “I still wonder what compelled him to do so.  Maybe he thought he was fit to die soon and I reminded him of someone he once knew…I imagine I’m just trying to say that I know what you mean.”
     She seemed to reflect for a few moments and then went on.  “I’ve looked at all the eyes ever since.  Came ta see that they weren’t just good or bad, but much of in between.  I’ve never seen the likes of that lieutenant’s again until…well very recently.”  She looked at Leonard and said, “I do go on.  What I’m getting’ to is that Johnny’s father, Bill, seems to have a fair mind about him.”
     Leonard interrupted, “Johnny bein’ the excitable kid.”
    “Yes, I saw Bill’s eyes close when he asked me a favor for his son.”  Lily looked down again.  “Bill would do fine so long as he keeps his boy back at home and conducts keeping the law the same way he does his shop.”
     Leonard considered this for a bit.  “If you think he’s right fer it, I’ll take yer word.  I want this settled before I leave.  I want to meet him, an I want the Marshall ta be there too.  I want his boy’s gun to be given ta you fer now.  I don’t want these people ta fear me, but I need them ta damn well respect me while I’m gone as well as lettin’ this Bill do his job.  If I come back and this place is a mess, well, try not ta look at my eyes too close then.  Ya may not like ‘em.”
     They sat there in silence for a while letting the prospects of the near future sink in.  Leonard broke the quiet when he looked at her an simply said, “I love you.”
     Lily looked in his eyes and saw it was true.

Roland Deschain

Offline Lily Lockwood

• Leos Girl
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2008, 02:02:28 AM »
    The rest of the morning went smoothly, the two took their time to dress and get ready for the rest of what promised to be a busy day.  A day filled with preparations for Leo and Cyrus's journey and the Grey Goose's independance.  So Lily told Leonard she had to do some business and she would meet up with him in a short while back at the bar.  Leonard also wanted to take advantage of his time to scope the town now that his leg was fit for taking a walk.   As they walked downstairs togeather, Lily holding onto Leonards arm, they kindly looked at each other fondly and went their separate ways.  Leonard headed for the bar to have a drink as he watched Lily walk delicately out the front door.

"Goodmorning" Lily smiled to a passerby as soon as she stepped foot outside.  "this surely is a beautiful day, isn't it?"  She quietly asked the person.  "Why I guess it is Miss Lily!"  the man stated on his way passing by.  She could make anyone have a good day being as contageously happy as she was.  Soon she made her way over to the mercantile.  She explained to the shops owner Bill that her new partner (carefully not mentioning Leonards name) and the marshall would need a few supplies for their trip and then asked to give the credit to them and that the bar would be covering the bill if there were any problems.  She also mentioned that one of them would be by and wanted to speak to him sometime today about something very important that he was needed for.   He had no problem with this in fact it made Bill feel rather good that she had recommened him to the stranger.

Sipping slowely on his drink, Leonard watched the people in and around the bar.  He took it all in.  Who seemed to be the regulars as well as who were the loud and/or quiet ones.  After his glass was empty he sauntered out the front door to explore the street.  He noticed that Lily was just leaving the store and headed down to the end of the street.  She didn't look his way so she had no idea he might have known what she was up to.  He had other arrangements to make so he went on his way as well.

Lily took her time in the stable.  being with horses always made her feel good.  She looked carefully at every horse in the barn, and even though they all were fine she didn't see just what she was looking for.  The stableboy asked her if she needed any help and she asked if these were all of the horses that were available.  He told her about two new horses that were out back in the field but he didn't know anything about them yet.  So she thanked him and decided to ckeck them out anyway.  As she walked down the small hillside to the fence she saw an older Roan with a few spots on his backside which looked like an old trailhorse.   Just then she saw him, in all of the years on her fathers horse ranch she never had seen anything like him.  The large, tall, pale horse with the neck the size of a tree trunk looking right at her.  He had huge black intense eyes.  All she could think of was the pictures she had seen as a child in school of a roman chariot horse or statue.  He walked right up to her at the fence and put his forhead down onto hers and Lily gave a slight push.  Well, he then pushed back against her gently as well.  Then he stood up  and they looked at each other as she gave him a gentle brush of her hand on his nose.  This was the perfect horse he was strong as an ox and smart as a whip!  Lily knew what to do.

She eventually made her way down to the bar to meet up with Leo and couldn't wait to tell him about a surprise she had in store for him. 

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2008, 03:32:09 PM »
Cyrus made his rounds of the small town as he had every day since the gunfight.  He noticed Lily walk into the mercantile, and he later noticed her head down to the stable. He had checked the cold house and the bodies had survived reasonably well.  He was concerned about what would happen while he and Leo were gone, he still wasn't certain if Lily could trust the townsfolk.  This place had been a haven for lawless men for too many years and if some of them appeared seeking refuge they might become hostile finding things had changed now that Lou was gone.

Cyrus thought about the trip, they would leave in the morning and with luck would reach Prescott by midday.  If luck was with them Leo could head back the next morning meaning he would only be gone about a day and a half. Bad weather, slower travel, or trouble on the trail could lengthen that to as much as 3 to 4 days. Cyrus was looking forward to talking more with Leo on the trail, he had a good read on this man and knew there was good in his heart.  It was Cyrus' intent to check when he got to Prescott to see if there were any papers with descriptions matching Leo, he didn't expect any.  Providing that was the outcome he was going to suggest that Leo take the Sheriff's job vacated by Lou's death. 

If Leo agreed and Lily and the town were acceptable of the idea, and there was little reason why they wouldn't be since no one in town was much of a gun hand, he intended to get the judge in Prescott to give him the power to travel back with Leo and swear him in.  If everything came together Cyrus would gain a reliable ally in cleaning up the area around Prescott and would eliminate another hiding place for the lawless men that preyed on the weak.

Having completed a circuit of the town Cyrus set about checking his tack and cleaning and oiling his guns in preperation for tomorrow's journey.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2009, 01:11:25 AM »
     Leonard’s main concern was to get things settled in town as soon as possible.  He knew Lily had already paid a visit to the mercantile, so his arrival there should come as no surprise to the owner.  Even if it weren’t a surprise, the shop keeper couldn’t hide his apprehension when the bell hanging from the door jingled.
     “You Bill?”  Leonard asked in a direct tone.
     “Yes, you Miss Lily’s new partner?”  There was a slight stammer in the reply.
     “I guess ya could say that.  She’s the reason I’m here.  Someone needs ta watch over the town, but most important, someone needs ta watch over her and her place.  Thought mebbe you were the man fer the job.  She seems ta think so.” 
     Bill was stunned by this proposal.  “Me?” he asked.
     “Yeah you.  Her only concern was that you keep that boy a yer’s in line and busy at home.”  Bill’s eyes widened and Leonard knew why.  “It has nothing to do with her previous business with you or yer kid.  He just struck me as a problem.  Anybody who stands in front and center of a lynch mob strikes me as a problem.  Give him a job ta do at home, build a chicken coop er an outhouse er whatever, just keep him busy.”  Leo looked at the shopkeeper gravely, “And disarm him.  He’s a loose cannon if I ever saw one.  Leave that gun with Lily an she’ll take good care of it while I’m gone.”  Another pause, then, “do we have an arrangement?”
     Bill stood there and nodded.  Leonard waited for him to ask what was in it for him.  The man didn’t.  “OK then” Leo went on, “I’ll ask the Marshall to appoint ya temporary sheriff before we leave.  Personally I don’t know if I would have chosen ya, but the girl knows best around here.”  There was that calculating stare again, “I’ll be back, just don’t let anything happen ta her in meantime.”  With that, Leonard began shopping the rows of shelves for things he knew he would need on the trail.

Leonard walked back out onto the street and the little bell jingled again as he did so.  His intention was to find Cyrus and seal this matter.  He wasn’t sure about the shop owner, but if Lily said he was the best for the job then so be it.  He was surprised when he looked up the street and saw his new love walking toward him.  Not surprised to see her out and about, surprised because she was leading the most magnificent horse he had ever seen.  It was eighteen hands easy and it was no wonder the lady was on foot rather than riding it, there was no way she could have mounted it herself.  Then she saw him and hailed him.
     “Leeeee-o, I got sumpthin for ya.”  Her southern drawl was as sweet as honey.  He didn’t want to make any assumptions about the horse but stood there stunned just the same.  He couldn’t see anything else other than the beautiful woman and that majestic pale stud making their way toward him.  He looked skyward and wondered how any god could bestow these gifts upon him.

When the distance was finally closed she said, “name him, he hasn’t one sugar.”
     “Name who?” Leonard asked.
     “The horse you ninny,” Lily teased as she laughed.
     “What business do I have namin’ this horse?” Leonard asked in his own teasing manor.  Inside he was bursting.  He was allowing himself to believe it, that this fine animal was for him.
     She answered quick, “Cause it’s yours.  Just promise you’ll take care of him.  Isn’t he a wonder?”
     “Yes he is”, Leonard could not suppress a huge grin.  “Hey boy” he said to the animal and scruffed  him on the nose.  The horse threw it’s head up and whinnied.  “Well there’s no way I can thank you for this Miss Lily”, was all the man could say. 
     Lily looked at him and asked, “Boy?  Is that the best you can come up with?  Don’t ya think he deserves better?”
     “Found a great roan once, always called it Boy.  Changed it ta Lucky an he died a few days later.  I’ll stick with Boy.  It’s just one of those things.”  Lily seemed to understand this and handed the reigns to Leonard.  She knew it was a good match, this man and this horse.
     “Well let’s get a look at him,” Leonard said.  “Good posture, good temper, strong.”  He examined Boy closer, lifting each hoof and checking.  “Gotta loose shoe here,” he said.  “I’ll make sure it’s right before I leave.”  Lily just looked at him and he realized he was being too analytic again.  He caught himself and said, “Thank you Lily.  He’s perfect.  Hell, the shoe ain’t his fault, and we’ll make sure he’s ready.  This is the best horse I have ever laid hands on and the nicest thing anyone’s done fer me”
     “It’s my pleasure darling,” she said.  “I know you’ll do right by him.”  She watched him mount Boy bareback and ride toward the stable.  Again, he turned and told her he loved her.

As the ex-soldier approached the livery he was stricken by one of those feelings.  The bad ones that had kept him alive for so long.  The doors were shut, he could see this clearly.  He pulled on Boy’s bit and dismounted.  On approaching the stable he could hear sounds coming from within.  There was definitely someone in there.  Horses didn’t whimper and horses didn’t make shushing sounds either.  There were two in there, that was now certain.  Here in broad daylight someone was trying to pull a job.
     Leonard went around to the back and made his way to the single-wide back door.  He stood there for a moment and thought once again, “why does it always have to be this way.”  He heard a stern but tired voice say, “stay here, I’m taking it.  Keep staying right here ‘til it starts ta get dark, or I can kill you now and still get out of this worthless town.”  As ominous as that voice may had seemed to the person on the receiving end, Leonard could hear the unmistakable tone of fear in it as well.
     “Horse thief’, he thought.  “knows how slow this town is an is gonna risk his neck ta get a pony now of all times.”  Leonard drew the old Colt Navy and faced the door.  His right foot came up and kicked it in.  Then there was nothing but shock.
     Of course it shouldn’t have been.  He had mentioned this scenario to Lily the night before.  There pointed at him was a Confederate issue pistol.  The one he had taken from a Lieutenant he had shot on the last battlefield.  The man holding it was the one he had rolled a smoke for in that other, abandoned livery.  The two men faced each other and the stable boy could only wet his pants.
     “Tolt ya if ya used that the wrong way I’d take it back.  Did ya ferget me givin’ ya my full Christian name an swearin to it?”
     “I need a horse!” the other said. 
     “Then earn one” was Leonard’s answer. “Or die.  This boy owes me a fixed shoe and I ain’t about ta see you get in the way of ma business.”  The kid on the floor just moaned something about his mother.  Leonard’s old bunkmate from the night of the storm stood fast but his hand was shaking.
     Then it happened. The same as always.  The lead ball whizzed past Leonard’s ear as he was launching his own.  In half a heart beat, the man who had shared rugged quarters with him not three nights ago now lay dead on the straw covered floor.  Leonard looked at the boy who had soiled himself and stared at him for a moment.  Then the words came easy, “Can ya fix the loose shoe on the pony ya sold ta Miss Lily this morning.  I’d be much obliged if ya could.”

Roland Deschain

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2009, 08:10:35 PM »
The pair of gunshots sounded as if they had come from the vicinity of the stable.  Cyrus holstered his 58 Remington, that he had just finished cleaning, and put a round in his Sharp's.  He ran down the staiars and out into the street heading in the direction of the stable.

He noticed that there was a pale horse tied up out front with no saddle.  He also saw Lily running from a side street toward the stable.  They both met near the horse, who didn't seemed nervous about the recent gunfire.

"Lily, you stay here and let me check this out!"

She replied, "Leo, rode up here to get a shoe fixed on this horse.  He went around the side and then I heard gunshots."  She looked scared and worried.

Cyrus cocked the hammed on the Sharps and began to slowly approach the stable doors.

The big doors started to swing open so Cyrus crouched behind a water trough and sighted down the barrel.  As the doors swung wider he noticed a very scared looking stableboy and Leo pushing open the doors. 

After waiting a moment to make sure that they weren't being held a gunpoint, Cyrus uncocked the Sharps and stood up.

At the sight of Leo, Lily began to run toward him.

Offline Lily Lockwood

• Leos Girl
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2009, 11:36:58 PM »
     "LEO !," she cried out as she ran to the entrance of the stable.  After slowing down to a mere walking pace and looking back and forth between the boy and Leo she continued, "You two bout scared me ta death, you mind tellin' me what happened here?"

As she asked, Leo pointed over to the body lying on the ground near the rear stalls and said, "guess my timin's still good," and he looked over at the stableboy who quickly went on to say, "this here man saved my life and stopped that there horse theif all at the same time Miss Lily!"

She then looked at Leo and with a smile she nodded and then looked back at the boy.  She stepped closely to him to quietly say, "Why don' ya go on, change yer clothes and pull yerself togeather quickly so ya can fix the grey's shoe before it all hits ya, is that alright?  I think this gentleman has earned that much don't you?"  The boy agreed and told Leo he would be right back to tend to the horse, then ran off.

Leo stood looking at Lily and with a certain feeling of pride for how she handled the boy and waited patiently to explain what had happened.  After the boy was gone she went over to him calmly as not to show any weakness, yet in reality she was quivering inside.  It was important for her to show not only Leo but the townsfolk that she could handle any situation so she didn't get taken for granted as the owner of a business that saw it's share of roughness and at the same time she didn't want anyone thinking she was gonna be soft while the men were gone.

Cyrus was now beside her ready to here what had transpired from Leo and then he meant to look over at the dead man to see if he could recognize anything about him.  Leo told them as well as others that had gathered exactly what had gone on.  When he was finished Cyrus said to Leo "I'm glad were on the same side, this town sure has it's share of excitement!"  and he walked to the back of the stable.

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2009, 04:39:24 AM »
Cyrus walked to the back of the stable and stood his rifle against a post. He then squatted down and examined the body.

He knew the man wasn't on one of the wanted posters he carried, but something about the crescent shaped scar on the man's left cheek tugged at somthing in Cyrus' memory.  There was a single wound in the man's chest and it appeared the bullet either hit the heart or a major artery since there was a large pool of blood that had formed around the body in the short time it had lain there.

The flies were already becoming a major problem, so he quickly finished his examination and then found a peice of canvas to wrap around the body.  He paid two townsfolk to help him and then to move the body to the cool house, he would bring it back to Prescott for an attempt at proper identification, and to see if the death resolved any known crimes. The pistol was a Harrington and Richardson model, it appeared that one round had been fired.  Following Leo's description of what had happened he found the lead ball stuck in the doorframe where Leo had entered.  Judging the height of the bullet in the frame and looking over at Leo had the shot been a couple of feet to the right it would have caught Leo in the belly.  Leo was either damned quick or extremely lucky, maybe both.

When the stableboy returned Cyrus asked him a few questions and made some notes for thr report he would make upon his return to Prescott.    Leo was seeing that his new horse was attended too, so Cyrus took the moment to speak with Lily alone. He quickly set forth his idea that Leo would be the logical choice for the new Town Sheriff. He asked Lily if she could speak to whoever the decision makers in the town were and give him an answer before he and Leo left for Prescott in the morning.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2009, 01:40:37 AM »
     Leonard turned away from the livery with his head down and began walking back towards the hotel.  “I need a bath” he said to no one in particular.  He did not like killing.  Cyrus called to him, but he just kept walking.  Lily ran up to him and wanted to hold him, but Leonard brushed her off and kept walking.  He needed to feel clean.  He didn’t like doing this to the girl, but it was time to be alone.  He thought of the story his mother had told him about the man who saw a spot of blood on his hand every time he looked at it and couldn’t scrub it out no matter how hard he tried.  “Out dern spot” she would say, not to cuss in front of her son or anyone else.  As silly as it seemed, he missed his mother and those simpler days.

Lily Lockwood was not one to be put off.  She caught up with Leonard and grabbed the back of his overgrown hair.  “Hey!” she said.
     He turned and looked at her and replied, “you don’t know how it feels”.  She saw the look in his eyes and let it go.  She wanted to tell him that she knew all about death, but he was right, she didn’t know how it felt to deal it.
     He spoke again as he walked, “ask that marshal if there’s any way I can get that gun the man had.  It was mine once”.  Lily nodded. 
     “Kind of a prize I guess you could say” he continued, “from awhile ago.  I never should’ve let it go I guess.”  As Leonard approached the hotel, he felt like he was marching again and heard the dry beat of the drum in his head.  There was a word for that his mother had taught him, but he couldn’t bring it to mind at the moment.  Thrap thrap thrappa tat a tat.  A bath would be good now, and some time with the lady, if she could forgive him.  He had been callous.

Roland Deschain

Offline Lily Lockwood

• Leos Girl
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2009, 12:18:06 AM »
      "I believe this town has a bit too much excitement lately, don't you Sadie?"  Lily asked as she walked back into the Goose after her slow walk back from the livery.   Suddenly, she was bombarded by all of the gals speaking at the same time in quite a titter to find out what had transpired down the street, Sadie shushed them harshly.  "Ladies! hush now and lets remember our manners, I believe I was being addressed, I'm sure everythin’s alright and you'll know in a moment."  She then motioned to Lily to sit at the table with her and said.  "Now take you a breath and tell me what in blazes got you so upset." 

Lily wasn't usually riled up easily so she knew it was personal.  "I'm fine thank you Sadie"  she spoke quietly "Leo just had a run in with a horse thief and had to shoot him dead down at the livery.  When I heard the gunshot I felt my heart drop right out a my body.  I mean It ain't nothin' new a course seein’ death and all but this time was different.”

“I do believe ya got it fer this man Leo” Sadie stated.  Lily nodded and finished telling her what had happened and when she was finished she went upstairs to collect herself.

When she came back downstairs she ran into Cyrus.  He told her his plans about the Sheriff position and she mentioned to him that she wasn’t going to talk to anyone about Leo until she had asked him if he was interested first.  But, not to throw suspicion his way she added that it was the proper thing to do in her eyes but that if he agreed, she would gladly go to talk to the townspeople.  Then she remembered what Leo had requested.  “Cyrus may I talk to ya bout somthin’ else?”  He said that would be alright so she went on to say, “I wanted you to know something about our friend Leo.  Right before he came into town he spent the night in a broken down old barn.  It had been a long while since he’d been under a roof in the rain, you know how it is at times like that don’t ya?”  Lily wanted Cyrus to get a feel for the situation, after all she did know how to handle men by this point.  And Cyrus answered “oh I have had my share of evenins like that.”  And Lily went on to tell him the story of the two men who met up that night and that they seemed to part on good terms.  And of the promise that Leo made to the man if he did anything bad with the gun he so kindly gave to him.  She made it a point to clearly state that this was the first and last  meeting between Leo and the stranger until the livery stable.  Then she ever-so-gently finished the conversation with the fact of how sentimental this gun and belt was to Leo from his harsh past.  That is when she informed Cyrus that Leo wanted to have it back, in keeping with his promise he had made to this underestimated man.  Lily also told Cyrus that Leo could describe the gun and the belt to him in detail if he wanted to be sure he was telling the truth.  She knew how much time Leo had spent with his firearms and he would know every scratch or dent they may have had.  Cyrus then told Lily that he appreciated her coming to him and that he would speak to Leo about it as soon as he saw him next. And he excused himself.

Lily told the bartender to give him one more drink on the house as she went back to the kitchen.  She had just thought of the perfect afternoon and evening for her new beau after such a long day.  She couldn’t wait to see him walk through the doors, she was worried but knew he just needed his own time, then he would come back to her.  No matter how long it took, she would be waiting for him.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2009, 10:40:29 PM »
    Leonard walked past the entrance to the Grey Goose and proceeded to the adjoining bath house.  He had seen the attendant duck back in as he began walking up the road.  Upon entering the man asked, “can I help ya?”  He was another nervous one. 
     “Do ya keep water on the boil or is there gonna be a wait?” Leonard asked.
     “Oh, the boss always insists that it be available fer the ladies”.  He said this with pride and then his face cringed as he looked at the floor.  It was apparent this man was still having trouble accepting that “the boss” was dead.
     “Good then”, Leonard replied, “I sure could use a warm soak.”  The attendant reached under the counter and procured a towel, a brush, a dipper and a well worn hunk of lye soap.
     “That’s fer men folk” he said.  “Save the parfumed stuff fer the ladies.  Lest ya want it that is”  The man threw in that last as if he had just realized he had made a grievous error.
     Leonard regarded him with a patient stare and said, “no, that’ll be fine”.
     “Well then come right on through here an we’ll getcha takin care of”.  Leonard stepped through a curtain and began to disrobe while the attendant fetched after the water.  The little man returned and dumped the first pot into the cold bath.  He started ta speak, “ That’ll get ya goin…”  then he saw the wound on Leonard’s hip.  “Mister, I don’t know if ya wanna be soakin that just yet.  Least ways not submersifyin’ it.”  Leonard couldn’t help a chuckle, “I’ll take good care of it.  Thanks”.  The attendant ducked out of the room and the tired ex soldier proceeded to place himself into the tub on his knees.  Not comfortable, but it would keep the stitched hole in his leg above the water line.  The warm water felt good as he splashed it on his face.  In less than 30 seconds the water was almost black.  He looked down at it and out of nowhere he looked up and said, “tattoo”.
     The attendant poked his head in through the curtain and said “beg pardon sir?”
     “Tattoo”, Leonard repeated.  “That was the word Mother used fer the sound a the drums.”  He seemed lost in thought.  “Couldn’t bring it ta mind a bit ago, just remembered.”
     The little man nodded and pulled his head back out of the room muttering to himself.

Roland Deschain

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2009, 05:01:36 AM »
Cyrus finished his talk with Lily and decided now would be a good time for a bath, in the morning he and Leo would be on the trail and there was no way of knowing how hectic things would be back in Prescott.

Cyrus walked out of the Grey Goose and went next door to the bathhouse, as he entered he heard the word "Tattoo". A moment later a very nervous man stepped through a cutain from the back, when he saw the Marshal he became even more nervous, if that was possible.

"I'd like to get a hot bath." he said to the fidgiting clerk.

"There's another feller back there right now an I'm not sure if he wants company, elseways i'd be offering ya one of the other tubs."

"Well your mouth doesn't appear to be broken, why don't you ask this other feller if he minds having someone else back there?"

The clerks eyes got even larger than they had been as he replied, "Y-y-y-yes S-sir!"

At that point he disappeared through the curtain again and Cyrus could hear muffled voices from the back.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2009, 11:56:28 PM »
     The attendant walked back into the tub room, completely this time.  Leonard said, “need ta change the water.  Kneelin’ in this is makin’ me dirtier than when I come in.”
     “Yes sir, of course… but there’s somethin’ else…”
     “There always is” was the dry reply.
     “Well” an now he lowered his voice, “there’s another feller out there that would like a bath too.”  Leonard looked at the other two tubs in the room.
     “And?”
     “He’s that” his voice got even quieter to where he was almost mouthing the words, “he’s that marshal”. 
     The man kneeling in the tub couldn’t hold back a one cornered grin at this.  He spoke.  “That man prolly needs a bath worse than me.”  He doubted it, but it was amusing to see the change of expression on the attendants face.  “Change ma water an set ‘im up”  Leonard pulled the drain.  The confused little man handed him his towel as he stood up and felt the desert air.  The attendant poked his out of the curtain, this time facing the counter and told Cyrus, “be ready fer ya in a jiffy marshal”.  He worked the pump on each tub until they were half full and said, “I’ll run an git the hot stuff now”.  Leonard nodded and the man hurried out.  He stood there with his back to the doorway looking at the cold water thinking it might be nice to just get in it that way.  While he was contemplating this, the attendant and the marshal came in. 

The first thing Cyrus saw was a man’s back covered in an array of scars.  It was like looking at one of the territory maps that had been drawn up by the government.  He said, “Hope we didn’t startle you Leo.”
     Leonard turned his head and replied, “I wasn’t worried, I knew it was you out there.  Just waitin’ on that hot water.”
     “You takin’ care of that hip.  We need it to be fit.”
     The little clerk chimed in out of turn, “He’s takin his bath on his knees, ya can ask me I saw him, he…”  Cyrus’ glare was not lost on the man.  He silenced himself and went back to the counter.
     “I’m lookin’ out fer it,”  That was all that needed to be said.
     “Good, we really shouldn’t put this off any longer.  Riding across the desert with those  bodies is not going to be pretty.”  The attendant returned with the water and was very quiet on this trip.  After he had spilled it in and left, the two men settled into their respective baths, Leonard again in that penitent kneel.  He began splashing off the dirty water that had started to dry on his face.
     Cyrus, looking up at the ceiling tried to open conversation, “Looks like ya seen some hard times Leo”.  Now, with a sideways glance he caught a hint of the scars on the man’s chest that were at least enough to match the ones on his back.  “ I know ya already told me about some of ‘em, an I just saw some proof.”  He waited for a response.  Nothing but the sound of splashing.

Roland Deschain

Offline Lucky Irish Tom

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2009, 05:23:40 AM »
Before he had settled into the water Leonard had noticed a long pale scar that ran from Cyrus' left hip up to a point just below his right shoulder.  Near the end of that scar was a scar that appeared to be a bullethole, and two more lower on his back.  All of the scars showed signs of doctoring.

"I've suggested to Lily that you would be a good candidate for Sheriff.  You are quick and accurate with a gun, but you are also level headed enough to know when not to pull it.  There aren't many in Town that can handle a gun and most of them would likely be killed within the first month on the job."

"Being a lawman is more than just being a gun hand. Leanord you seem to have sense enough to know when it's better to diffuse a situation than to just pull a gun and to try forcing people to obey. You also seem to have the respect for people that's required of the job.  When you faced down the mob in the Grey Goose I could see that you were sizing up the crowd to determine who was most dangerous and which ones were likely to just throw down their guns and run if shooting started.  You kept your voice at a steady even tone and you made it clear that you were not going to back down from a situation that appeared to be wrong."

"This Town needs someone strong to stand up for them, you are in a part of the Territory that makes this a good place to hide.   It's easy for a man to get lost in an area where men come and go trying to strike it rich.  It didn't hurt that Lou turned a blind eye toward men on the run, as long as they didn't harm his girls, or the the townsfolk."

With that Cyrus grew silent and began to liberally apply the soap, then settled back in the warm water letting it soak into his aching joints.

Offline Lily Lockwood

• Leos Girl
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2009, 01:36:34 AM »
    In the meantime Lily was back at the bar taking care of the business at hand.  New and old customers all gathering, talking, bragging like people do while relaxing after a good long work week at the mines. 

Tomorrow will be Langley and Lou’s  burial  day.  “I s’pose they’re all comin’ in fer the funeral don’t ya think Clara” Lily spoke in a whisper. 

“I speck so, I heard the old preacher man from down yonder way will do their presentin.'” Clara answered while pointing to the outskirts on the side of town.  “Seems he was a friend of the both of em’ when they all started this here settlement.”

“I think it only fittin’ to invite the people to come back to the Goose for a drink in honor of those two fine men.  It’d be the way they woulda like best fer a send off  I reckon.”  Lily felt good about her decision as she and Clara finished making the plans. They then made sure the rest of the staff were prepared to work a long day and be ready for anything.

Business will be very good for the next couple of days, thank goodness, Lily thought to herself.  She knew that keeping busy will make the time go by faster while Leo was gone.  Life is much different and it was easy to get used to not being a “working girl” any longer.  It was about time she began to earn back her self respect, and there was no doubt that this was the right time for it.   Although she knew there would be some people who would try and keep her the way she was, she knew she had to be stronger than ever to make it work.

Now, knowing that Leo has had a bitter-sweet day, and that there was just a few hours of daylight left,  she thought of just the thing to help him feel better if he were up to it.  It would be special and not too time consuming so as he could still finish getting ready for his trip.  After changing into some riding clothes she made her way down to the kitchen to put together a beautiful picnic for two.  It had been a long time since she had attempted to make her mothers fried chicken but it all seemed to come together well.  She had fresh biscuits and of course a nice blanket to set it all on.

Her plan went off without a hitch.  She had asked the boy at the livery to have her horse Lucky and Leo’s horse Boy saddled and ready to go and he agreed.  He had even offered his own saddle to Leo to use until he returned from Prescott.  Lily knew that this young man was a good boy and that he would always look up to Leo with nothing but respect from now on.

Just then she noticed a georgeous man resembling Leo coming out of the bathhouse and walking toward the bar.  She rubbed her eyes and looked harder and walked faster now to catch up to him.  “Oh My! It is you,”  she tried not to stare but couldn’t help herself and  with a big loving grin on her face she said, “I hope ya don’t mind me sayin’ ya sure do clean up handsome.  I’m a very lucky gal.”   As she gave him a peck on his newely shaved soft cheek.

All Leo could do was give her a sly happy grin as she took his arm.  “Would you like to go somewhere with me away from town for just a short while,  I have a special place I’d like to show ya.”  Lily asked in a sweet voice.

“I’d like that very much, you just show me the way, darlin’ and I’ll follow you anywhere.”  Leo replied happily.

She picked up the small picnic basket and blanket from just inside the doors of the Goose and said, “right this way”.  Leo took the basket from her and they strolled down to the livery and he saw that the horses were all ready.  He noticed the saddle, spoke to the young man and thanked him as he succured the basket on his horse.  Looking over at his girl he said, "you sure did think of everything Lil."

They mounted and rode off to the west of town, down a beautiful trail for a few miles until they came to an absolutely beautiful large brook with a slender waterfall pouring over large rocks surrounded by gently swaying trees and grass.  There was the perfect spot to set out the food under a tree near the water.  The horses were very content with fresh greens to nibble on.  Lily broke out the food and they shared the next two hours in their own world.  They spoke of their future and how the life they planned could be, as husband and wife.   Soon enough sunset came and it was time to go back, It couldn’t have been a more perfect afternoon. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com