Author Topic: Homemade Primer primer  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Homemade Primer primer
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 08:11:00 AM »
Interesting ...mighty labor intensive to save a penny each....

However that said ..I was bidding on primers on Gun broker, requiring Large Rifle

The prices were INSANE   The lot I was big on , went to $0.28 EACH  :o ( not to me I wasn't even close )

$140 for 500 ...That is NUTS , I saw lots of a 1000 sold at  $350  BUCKS   that 35 cent each ! 

I don't know where this will all settle ...but it seems the Anti's have found the bottleneck ...you can have your guns , you'ar just going be cost out to shooting them , when reloading supplies are taxed/cost out to sight >:( 
when planets align...do the deal !

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 10:58:01 AM »

>:(  What a Crock   :(

I realize full well it's Capitalism at it's finest, but the Profiteers just plain chap my butt.  I can just hope the jerks get stuck with a bundle of purchased "high" primers when the shortage ends and availability is normal.

After reading the "Homemade Primers Primer" there is more hazard to making primers than there is making BP.  Think I'll pass on that one.  I like to think I ain't no Phule.

Hide and Watch

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:38:10 AM »

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 08:33:19 PM »
Hi

I know someone who went to Dong's in downtown Tulsa and got some primers, but they required you to also buy a matching number of bullets with the primers.
Lagter
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 573
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 03:34:19 PM »
Hi

I know someone who went to Dong's in downtown Tulsa and got some primers, but they required you to also buy a matching number of bullets with the primers.
Lagter

I would have no problem with that, provided the choice for bullets is something I could use, and even if they weren't, I guess I could melt them down and re-cast into what I like.

Offline Dakota Widowmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS# 65062
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2021, 10:01:18 AM »
FWIW: I have used the H-48 formula and it works fine for reloading cap-n-ball revolver caps (i.e. tap-o-cap ) and also recycled Winchester small & large pistol primer cups.

What I found is that you MUST do for 100% reliability: (Rugers, Uberti, and Pietta cartridge guns)

- After removing the firing pin dent ("nipple") you need to anneal your primer cups.
This is a must as the area under the anvil is now much harder than before.

- Cover the primer compound with a small circle of nitrated paper (cigarette paper) you punch out with a leather punch

- Seal the primers with a small drop of diluted shelac

- Seat the anvil so that it doesn't appear to "proud" above the cup

I've had really great success using this method with non-plated primers.
When I started out, I was getting 1/3 of my primers were dudds with plated ones.
But then I started to anneal my primer cups and I've not had a single misfire.

Care must be taken to avoid any moisture during this process, as that will directly impact the reliability of the ignition.

Lastly, and this one should be obvious, you need to run a cleaning patch with your favorite moose-milk through your bore after a shooting session.

Please take care. This is NOT a fast process and you need to reserve at least an hour to dedicate to the process from start to finish. Do not try and do more than 100 primers at a sitting until you have your technique down. But, desperate times call for desperate measures...  :-[

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 11:17:48 AM »
We'll all go back to flintlocks.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com