Author Topic: Colt Derringers  (Read 2077 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Colt Derringers
« on: July 28, 2021, 07:52:40 PM »
Is anyone playing with the little Colt 3rd or 4th model derringers? I picked up this .41 rimfire late 1870s 3rd model and have ordered reloadable .41 rimfire cases and bullets.

I also have this nickeled .22 short late 1950s 4th model. Its a fun little shooter.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Re: Colt Derringers
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2021, 12:57:43 PM »
Thirty years ago I had the "Lord & Lady" set from Colt, both 22s. Had fun playing with them and always wanted a 41 but no one made the re-loadable brass back then. Eventually sold the pair of 22s.

Dave

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2021, 07:42:38 AM »
I'm not a machinist, just a home tinkerer. But just for fun, I tried my hand at making a reloadable .41 rimfire short case for the 1870s Colt 3rd model derringer. After machining the case, I drilled an offset chamber for the .22 blank used as a primer. I test fired it in the little Colt and it went BANG

Next up is to load it with black powder, a 126gr heel bullet and go to the range  ;D
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:28:20 AM »

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 07:43:59 AM »
Side by side with an original cartridge.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 01:22:29 PM »
ndnchf,

Since I don't have a lathe it's not like I can do anything like that, but I sure do admire anyone who can and try it.  Well done!

Now you have to give us a range report.  I'd say a good test range would be a bit more than the width of a card table. (smile)

Dave

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2021, 04:49:43 PM »
I hope to shoot it across the chronograph this week. The original cartridge gave about 600fps out of a derringer. I'm hoping this will be close.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2021, 01:30:58 PM »
I went to the range to try out my ONE shop made .41 rimfire short cartidge in the Colt 3rd model derringer. The little .32 rimfire short Remington ring trigger was brought along too for a comparison. The Remington had a fail to fire on one round. That turned out to be a dud .22 blank primer. No fault of the pistol.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 01:51:31 PM »
Pretty neat.  I have a number 3 and two boxes of ammo.  One box of Remington and one of the Navy Arms stuff they made a few years ago.  Was going to shoot it until I found out how much that ammo is going for.  Right now the ejector on mine is broke and I have not been able to find one anywhere.  So I am trying to make one.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2021, 02:04:20 PM »
Good luck with the ejector. Fortunately, mine works quite well.

Since the last video I acquired 10 empty, once fired Navy Arms .41 rimfire short cases. I reprimed, reloaded and shot them a few days ago. Last night I reprimed and reloaded them again. Will try to get back to the range soon.

Here is a short video of me shooting the reloaded navy arms cartridges.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2021, 09:39:00 PM »
Looking forward to the Chrono data.  They seem to have a pretty good pop.  Despite all the BS you read about the .41 I sure as heck would not want to get shot with one.

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 12:18:03 PM »
I don't even want to get shot with a BB gun.  A .41 still beats the heck out of a sharp stick.........
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 03:51:48 PM »
Here's my Number 3.  I guess I shouldn't be such a cheap bugger and shoot it.

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 06:17:34 PM »
Yes - shooting them is a whole lot more fun than just looking at them  ;D

BTW, I loaded one with the original load of 12.0gr of Old E. 3F.  It clocked at 535fps.  Not too shabby!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com