Special Interests - Groups & Societies > SCORRS

1858 conversions vs 1875s

(1/4) > >>

Whiptail Moses:
Are there any major performance differences between using a pair of 45lc 1858 conversions (with loading gate and ejector) or a pair of 1875s?
Or is it just about ergonomics?

I am interested in shooting Classic Cowboy Frontier Cartridge Duellist.

hellgate:
I had a Kirst conversion for a while on my Uberti NMA and it just wasn't as "slick" in function. I was concerned the softer parts (especially the hammer face) might get dented by the firing pin and then not be able to go back to percussion. The 1875 was made from the beginning for cartridges and ought to be a smoother action. I had an 1875 fro a while and can't remember if it has a cylinder bushing to prevent binding. Fouling can gum up a '58 for sure.

Whiptail Moses:
I think the from-the-factory conversions are made of the same steel as the '75s and are no longer marked "black powder only" nor can they be switched to percussion. Don't know about the hammers, though.

I'm leaning towards using a pair of 5.5 outlaws on the hips, and sometimes mixing it up by replacing the weak side with my current 8" Pietta w/ cartridge cylinder worn cross-draw.

Advertising:

Marshal Will Wingam:
The main difference I found is that the NMA (incorrectly called an 1858) with a converson cylinder has a shorter hammer stroke than the 1875/1890 models. I had a pair of the BP pistols I was using and expected the 1875 to feel similar so I bought one with the intention of getting another one for a pair of match pistols. I was disappointed and eventually I got rid of it. I can't vouch for the MNAs factory conversions that are available.

Whiptail Moses:
Interesting, Will.
One of the things I like about the NMA is how my recoil seems just enough to get the hammer back to my thumb, and then I can let the weight of the pistol pull it down and it cocks itself and ends up perfectly level. That might be more fiddly with a longer hammer pull.

Seems an extra step in ejecting too, have to loosen the rammer, twist the extractor to unlock it, then relock the rammer.
Not a big deal.

As for the 1875, after reading a bunch of posts, yes it has a bushing, yes it can seize up, moreso than the SAA, but either/or using big lube bullets, wiping the cylinder face down every so often, and using mobil 1 synthetic grease on the cylinder pin seems to help.
I wonder if it's less of a problem with 777 (which I love) or APP (which I've never tried).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version