Special Interests - Groups & Societies > SCORRS

Real Deal Remington NMA

<< < (2/3) > >>

Oldelm:
John,....I'll bet with a little research about creating old looking finishes on guns, you could learn how to strip that new bluing off and create an "antique" looking  surface,...just like it probably did look awhile back. You could experiment with a  run of the mill clunker gun first.

There's some discussions on various forums around these parts where some experienced gunsmithing/ refinishers share methods for doing this. If you ever get a chance to have a look through a book titled "Metallic Cartridge Conversions" by Dennis Adler,...you'll see some great work by a gunsmith R.L.Millington,.....who has put some mighty fine looking "old" finishes on his contemporary cartridge conversions.

Just some thoughts,...so as you won't feel you have to be "stuck" with that new bluing on that fine ole Remington.

Ironically,..if it hadn't been re-blued,...you probably couldn't have bought it cheap.  ;)   ;D

Silver Creek Slim:
That's on fine looking Remington. Personally, I'd leave it the way it is and put my own wear on it.

Slim

Outlaw Cracker:
Thank you for showing it. It's a bute

Advertising:

jiminy criquet:
The deed is done....I'd leave it alone now too.  No matter what you do now it still won't be the original finish.  Besides, the old gal deserves a new dress after all these years....and like was previously mentioned, saved you some serious cash.

(And who knows why it was done....maybe it was necessary to preserve the gun.  I know if I came across an original Remington 1858 that was coated in rust but otherwise in good shape, I'd remove the rust and refinish the gun to preserve it.....'original finish' value be damned.

Anyways, very nice pistol.  Thanks for sharing it.

(You know what's really cool to see on that gun?  That the 'original' 1858's leave a little indexing mark on the cylinder right in front of the notches, just like my cartridge conversions do.)

Yankee John:
Thanks again folks!

I think that the cylinder marks are a cool thing too Jiminy C. !  Definately brings home the fact that even the originals weren't perfect in their day- why should they be now?

Another really neat observation;  The hammer spring tension is positively incredible!  Reminds me of a leaf spring on a 1 ton truck!  Much more tension than any replica I've ever seen.  The soldiers back then must have had "Thumbs of Steel"! 

LOL!
John

P.S.  Here's another pic!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version