Author Topic: Real Deal Remington NMA  (Read 7926 times)

Offline Yankee John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Real Deal Remington NMA
« on: October 17, 2005, 09:30:08 PM »
Just show'in off!

I know that most folks here have already seen my genuine original Remington NMA (unfortunately re-blued :( ),  but I took some better pics of it the other day that turned out great!

I love my new-made replicas,  but I'm getting buried with this one!  Now, To work up the nerve to fire it!

Enjoy!
John

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
Re: Real Deal Remington NMA
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 09:37:14 PM »
That looks as good (or better) than my brand-new Pietta!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 09:38:01 PM »
I'd show it off, too, if I owned that pistol!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:37:44 PM »

Offline Oldelm

• Vietnam Vet 66-67
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 10:05:05 PM »
johnr.........that looks great! Sounds like you got it already blued, and you wish it had the original finish, eh?

It'd probably be just fine to shoot some light loads with just to keep her happy,..hehe  ;)

Nice picture!

Offline Yankee John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2005, 10:57:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies folks!

You are completely right Oldelm- I bought it cheap because it was re-blued,  and it sat in a sporting goods/gunshop for about 3 years before I made them an offer on it.  From a collectors standpoint,  the re-blue job is a sad thing is that it it totally martially marked and matching serial-numbered everywhere. It is just as tight as any of my replica Remingtons too.

But i still appreciate it for the history that it represents,  as it dates from late 1864-early 1865; definately a Civil War era pistol.

John

Offline Oldelm

• Vietnam Vet 66-67
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 12:31:54 AM »
John,....I'll bet with a little research about creating old looking finishes on guns, you could learn how to strip that new bluing off and create an "antique" looking  surface,...just like it probably did look awhile back. You could experiment with a  run of the mill clunker gun first.

There's some discussions on various forums around these parts where some experienced gunsmithing/ refinishers share methods for doing this. If you ever get a chance to have a look through a book titled "Metallic Cartridge Conversions" by Dennis Adler,...you'll see some great work by a gunsmith R.L.Millington,.....who has put some mighty fine looking "old" finishes on his contemporary cartridge conversions.

Just some thoughts,...so as you won't feel you have to be "stuck" with that new bluing on that fine ole Remington.

Ironically,..if it hadn't been re-blued,...you probably couldn't have bought it cheap.  ;)   ;D

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 09:14:34 AM »
That's on fine looking Remington. Personally, I'd leave it the way it is and put my own wear on it.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Outlaw Cracker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2005, 10:15:47 AM »
Thank you for showing it. It's a bute

jiminy criquet

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 09:36:47 AM »
The deed is done....I'd leave it alone now too.  No matter what you do now it still won't be the original finish.  Besides, the old gal deserves a new dress after all these years....and like was previously mentioned, saved you some serious cash.

(And who knows why it was done....maybe it was necessary to preserve the gun.  I know if I came across an original Remington 1858 that was coated in rust but otherwise in good shape, I'd remove the rust and refinish the gun to preserve it.....'original finish' value be damned.

Anyways, very nice pistol.  Thanks for sharing it.

(You know what's really cool to see on that gun?  That the 'original' 1858's leave a little indexing mark on the cylinder right in front of the notches, just like my cartridge conversions do.)

Offline Yankee John

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 12:19:33 AM »
Thanks again folks!

I think that the cylinder marks are a cool thing too Jiminy C. !  Definately brings home the fact that even the originals weren't perfect in their day- why should they be now?

Another really neat observation;  The hammer spring tension is positively incredible!  Reminds me of a leaf spring on a 1 ton truck!  Much more tension than any replica I've ever seen.  The soldiers back then must have had "Thumbs of Steel"! 

LOL!
John

P.S.  Here's another pic!

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 12:33:37 AM »
That's truly a fine pistol. Nothing like the real thing, even if it has been re-blued. I can re-blue my Ubertis and they'll still be Ubertis. 200 years from now, they'll still be Ubertis. Thanks for sharing that with us.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Smokin Gun

• "I Smoke Black Powder!"/ "Prefer an 1858 Remington"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Preferred Shootin' Iron 1858 Rem
    • Black Powder Revolver Forum
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 11:28:07 AM »
Thanks again folks!

I think that the cylinder marks are a cool thing too Jiminy C. !  Definately brings home the fact that even the originals weren't perfect in their day- why should they be now?

Another really neat observation;  The hammer spring tension is positively incredible!  Reminds me of a leaf spring on a 1 ton truck!  Much more tension than any replica I've ever seen.  The soldiers back then must have had "Thumbs of Steel"! 

LOL!
John

P.S.  Here's another pic!

John,....I'll bet with a little research about creating old looking finishes on guns, you could learn how to strip that new bluing off and create an "antique" looking  surface,...just like it probably did look awhile back. You could experiment with a  run of the mill clunker gun first.

There's some discussions on various forums around these parts where some experienced gunsmithing/ refinishers share methods for doing this. If you ever get a chance to have a look through a book titled "Metallic Cartridge Conversions" by Dennis Adler,...you'll see some great work by a gunsmith R.L.Millington,.....who has put some mighty fine looking "old" finishes on his contemporary cartridge conversions.

Just some thoughts,...so as you won't feel you have to be "stuck" with that new bluing on that fine ole Remington.

Ironically,..if it hadn't been re-blued,...you probably couldn't have bought it cheap.  ;)   ;D

Good lookin Rem there John ... Ya wanna trade?

Mosby's Rangers
43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
SASS# 19634
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com