Author Topic: 38 s+w convertion  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Able Wood

• Citizen
  • 'If your countin on a killin allways count me in"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
38 s+w convertion
« on: January 30, 2006, 11:07:12 PM »
I found a older brass frame 51 navy at a yard sale last sat.  it has no maker name but importer is "Hawes firearms co. los angeles calif" and has italy proof marks and dated xxvi gun is shootable but the barrel is atad loose. got it for $45.00  but the realy cool part is it has a .38 s+w conversion cyl. the converter ring is mounted to the recoil shield with 2 screws and has a loading port. can anyone help me ID the maker as i would like to try and fined a steel frame to put it on. also i know there is a size dif between the 38 s+w and the 38 colt and 38 spec. is the 38 s+w a tad bigger if so would that make it a bit more accurate in the .36 barrel? thanks for any help.  Able

Offline Wolfcamp Hill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 38 s+w convertion
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 06:08:35 PM »
howdy

the 38 s&w has a slightly larger case and bullet diameter than 38 special.  if i remember correctly the bullet diameter is .359.  the cases wont fit in a chamber made for .38 special.  i have loaded .357 diameter bullets in 38 s&w cases but you have to crimp the dog out of them to get them to stay put. hope this helps.

wolfcamp

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 09:22:12 PM »
Now that's an odd coincidence, I just bought one of these 'new' in the box last weekend. At least I'd assume it's the same, I don't know of any other conversion kit marked ' 38 S&W only' on the cylinder. The conversion ring is more like the Richards conversions with a captive firing pin and a rear sight on top. Mine has that same reddish tint to the ring that older Ruger frames have.

These were manufactured by Legal Defender, Inc in Conyers Georgia in the late 1970's.
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:57:59 PM »

Offline Able Wood

• Citizen
  • 'If your countin on a killin allways count me in"
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 08:32:16 PM »