GENERAL TOPICS > Books & Movies

The Trench

<< < (2/2)

Mogorilla:
I will have to look that book up.   I am a big fan of Blackadder, british historic comedy.  My wife loves all things Brit, except Rowan Atckinson.  I was watching the last series, taking place during the great war.    Last episode is special.   I recommend all of the series, but the Great War series is hands down the best to me.   Anyway, wife working on her computer during the episode, at the end, I can see she is moved and she gets up to get kleenex with a "I hate this show".   

St. George:
Watch 'Maigret' with Rowan Atkinson - bet you change your mind.

Back to the Great War - Peter jackson ('the Hobbit', et al.) did 'They Shall Not Grow Old' in time for the Great War Centennial.

He took old, jerky, black and white footage - slowed it down and colorized it properly - using his vast collection of WWI uniforms and equipment for exactness, recorded actual cannon fire, tank and vehicle sounds and most importantly - voices!

He got professional lip readers to decipher what the soldiers were saying - got native regional speakers to give them voice and produded a masterpiece.

Scouts Out!

River City John:
Interestingly enough, as a connection, J.R.R. Tolkien, the author of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, also fought in the Battle of the Somme.

Advertising:

1961MJS:

--- Quote from: Niederlander on November 26, 2022, 08:57:50 PM ---I've always thought many of the generals of the Great War were incompetent.  "Let's charge the German machine guns for the twenty seventh time.  I'm just sure it will work THIS time!!"

--- End quote ---

Exactly, this is why Dad went and joined the Army Air Corps in June 1941 instead of waiting to get drafted.  He knew a few people who didn't make it out of a cyclone at Finschhaven, but no getting shot at.  WW2 didn't emphasize the whole Run into the Machine Guns.  Our neighbor got a Silver Star for Saipan and another one for Iwo Jima.  Each came with a Purple Heart.
Later

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version