Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Frontier Iron

Help needed - LeMats Use during Post Civil War Period

(1/4) > >>

Long Johns Wolf:
Hello from Germany,
I am in the middle of composing an article for a German gun journal on the history of the LeMats and their replicas.
Regarding the LeMats' Ante-Civil War and Civil War period I collected sufficient material and also on the limited use of their metal cartridge variants during the Franco-Prussian War.
Where I am at a complete loss is the use of their C&B Civil War versions by lawmen, outlaws on the Western frontier.
Can you pards and pardettes, please provide some information or links to famous or not so famous names of people who carried and used them during the second half of the 1860 through say the 1880s.
Thanks a bunch & regards,
Long Johns Wolf

LongWalker:
The only mention I can recall of the LeMat in the west during that time period was of one shown to a few people as a curiosity.

Drydock:
I'd be amazed if you find anything:  As nice as the paper stats may look, as a PDW it's awful.  Also, the ones that made it thru the blockade were mostly issued/sold to ANV officers, virtually none making it to the Western armies.

I imagine former CSS officers back east putting it above the fireplace as soon as they could get something else.

Advertising:

Cap'n Redneck:
Mr. Wolf; I trust You have access to a copy of Doug Adams' book "The Confederate LeMat Revolver" from 2005?

On page 111 it lists 26 LeMats by serial number that have reported Confederate use and association.

As mentioned a lot of them were presented to or bought by Confederate staff officers.

The following two were owned by soldiers associated with the Western Theatre of war:

#197: Captain Albert G. Hervey, Co. F, Morgan's Battalion, Texas Cavalry.

#1942: J. Costa, 6th. Texas Cavalry.

In addition #105 was found on the battlefield at Chickamauga, TN., and #801 was found on the banks of the Harpeth River, site of cavalry action during the battle of Franklin, TN.

I suspect the most memorable use of a LeMat out west was by the fictional character "Gutzon, Swedish quick-draw champion" in the 1995 movie "The Quick and the Dead", featuring Sharon Stone as the quick.

River City John:

--- Quote from: Cap'n Redneck on June 08, 2022, 10:15:02 AM ---Mr. Wolf; I trust You have access to a copy of Doug Adams' book "The Confederate LeMat Revolver" from 2005?

On page 111 it lists 26 LeMats by serial number that have reported Confederate use and association.

As mentioned a lot of them were presented to or bought by Confederate staff officers.

The following two were owned by soldiers associated with the Western Theatre of war:

#197: Captain Albert G. Hervey, Co. F, Morgan's Battalion, Texas Cavalry.

#1942: J. Costa, 6th. Texas Cavalry.

In addition #105 was found on the battlefield at Chickamauga, TN., and #801 was found on the banks of the Harpeth River, site of cavalry action during the battle of Franklin, TN.

I suspect the most memorable use of a LeMat out west was by the fictional character "Gutzon, Swedish quick-draw champion" in the 1995 movie "The Quick and the Dead", featuring Sharon Stone as the quick.

--- End quote ---

2015 movie "Forsaken" has Keifer Sutherland wielding one in tandem with a Colt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version