Author Topic: Colt Bisley use  (Read 3053 times)

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Colt Bisley use
« on: February 25, 2021, 06:26:05 PM »
In 1892, after tests at Governors Island NY, the Krag Jorgenson rifle was adopted as the standard rifle for the US military.  In 1893, historian Frederick jackson Turner said the American frontier was gone.  In 1894, Winchester brought out the 1894 rifle, and Colt introduced their Bisley model. 

The 1894 Winchester was quickly adopted, and was used by lawmen, outlaws, revolutionaries, and "just folks".  The Bisley . . . "not so much".  It was a favorite of Pancho Villa; some of the Dorados and Villistas adopted it (when available) out of admiration.

But was the Bisley used by any other notable lawmen/outlaws?  I couldn't sleep the other night, and got to wondering about this (because when you can't sleep, why not?).  Anyone have any examples?
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Colt Bisley use
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 06:59:35 PM »
The Bisley saw use South of the Border simply because it was in stock - not because it was admired.

if you look closely at photos of the Villistas, you'll see S&Ws, OpenTops, Forehand & Wadsworths,, Hopkins and Allens, Iver Johnsons - pretty much every revolver that was on the shelf and had ammunition was usable.

By the time of introduction, the Frontier West was done, save for the Dime Novels - 'civilization' and the railroad saw to that - making trail drives short-distance affairs - and the Army pretty well ended any threat from hostiles, so the Bisley likely was purchased because there weren't any SAAs at the dry goods and the buyer didn't want to wait.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 01:03:07 PM »
The Bisley was developed, as it's name implies, for bullseye target shooters. Colt was competing against English revolvers notably the Webley. The grip angle and lowered hammer spur were what British shooters were accustomed to.

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:22:01 AM »

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 01:29:56 PM »
The town Sherriff in Creede, Colorado carried a Bisley as a duty weapon in the 1970's and 1980's.  It was either .45 or 38 WCF, I do not remember which.  Just a bit of trivia.

T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 03:17:22 PM »
That's a great bit of trivia, Joe!  Good to hear that fine old firearms were still being put to go use on those days!  Was in Creede in the early 70's...wish I had paid more attention to things like that!
Jake

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 09:23:44 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts guys.  Lately I've been trading off a bunch of guns and stuff, and I've been offered a couple-three Bisleys in trade.  Wasn't sure if I was missing something.

I can remember seeing sheriffs carrying single-actions as "parade guns", but don't recall ever seeing a Bisley in that role.  This owuld have been mid-late '70s.  I did see a deputy carrying a SAA in Nevada, roughly '74. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 08:26:41 PM »
Have any of you compared the Uberti or Pietta Bisleys with a Colt? I have a Colt in .38WCF and would like to match it up with another for CAS.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 02:46:56 PM »
Have any of you compared the Uberti or Pietta Bisleys with a Colt? I have a Colt in .38WCF and would like to match it up with another for CAS.

The batch of various 32-20s I was able to pull together for my limited test included 2 original Bisleys.  (Limited HA!!  5 guns, 2,000 rounds didn't seem limited at the time!) While doing this test, I was offered a .44 Special Uberti Bisley in trade.  I didn't do a detailed comparison, but at 5' the differences I noticed between the originals and the Uberti were in finish used, and the grips. 

In hand they felt much the same, and the stance that gave best results with the Colts had the Uberti right on target.  I was told that the Uberti uses a one-piece grip frame, but that 2-piece grips will interchange between the originals and repros (though as usual, fitting might be required).  The original holster, time-moulded to fit the 5 1/2" Colt Bisley fit the Uberti like a glove. 

Sidebar: In my (limited expertience, "matching" a pair of first-gen Colts in bottleneck cartridges is an exercise in heartbreak.  The times I've tried it, the chamber dimensions varied so much that I had to full-length size every case.  I was getting incipient case head separations in fired 2x brass.  If it were me, I'd either get to repros of the same vintage from the same company, or get two originals and have custom cylinders made.  Either way, brass life would be better. 

Edited to add: No, I didn't trade for the Uberti.  As a general rule, I don't like shooting Colt Bisleys.  But I think the old Bisley pistol match sounds like a blast!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2021, 04:53:57 PM »
Deacon, Pietta doesn't make a Bisley, and I don't know that Uberti makes one in 38wcf.  The Cimarron branded Ubertis are only in 4 calibers these days, .357, .45 Colt, 44 Special, and 44-40.  Possibly they were previously made in 38wcf, not sure, as they have downsized a lot of their product lines over the years.  Now, you can always throw money at it.  Buy one in any caliber and replace the barrel and cylinder (could resell the pulled parts to recoup some bucks). 

Or change your goal.   :)

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2021, 12:47:56 AM »
I think a lot of people didn't know they were buying bisleys until after the fact. They probably just wanted a colt revolver. I'm sure the flattop saa and bisley along with target no 3's were bought buy target shooters but I doubt the standard bisley was.

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 08:17:38 PM »
Just saw this on wiki

Bisleys were serial-numbered in the range of 156300–331916, in the same sequence as the Single Action Army.[19] All Bisleys after No. 161,376 had "BISLEY MODEL" with the caliber stamped on the left side of the barrel, which is rare for older Colt revolvers.[19] The most common calibers were .32-20, .38-40, .45 Colt, .44-40, .41 Colt, and the British calibers .450 Eley and .455 Eley.[19] A total number of 44,350 were manufactured. Production of the Bisley was terminated in 1912, but serial No. 331916 was shipped after the First World War.[19] Most Bisley Standard Model Revolvers shipped to a United States address were not used for target shooting, but for self-defense, because the grip and hammer were ideal for fast shooting.[10][19]

Surveys of existing Bisley show that a much larger number of 4+3⁄4″ Bisleys, perhaps as high as 62%, have survived as compared to the 5+1⁄2″ and 7+1⁄2″ barreled guns. Considering the majority of Bisleys were made in .32/20 and .38/40, some 60%, it appears that the market for SAAs was changing. The late 1890s with increased urbanization in the West suggests the possibility that many of these pistols were companions to the lever-action rifles of the same period and that the low slung hammer, less humped backstrap, and short barrel may have suited the city-dwelling suit-coat-wearing clientele who still found themselves outdoors not only on horses but in buggies and automobiles. The need for man-stopping bullets was decreasing in urbanized environments, although in semi-urban areas, a pistol like the Bisley would be suitable for discouraging both four-legged and two-legged "varmints" while also suitable for collecting supper along the road. The Bisley may mark a movement to a more civilized West.[citation needed]

I thought last part was interesting and plausible.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 08:01:32 PM »
Just for the record, my Bisley is lettered to 1905, and is factory nickel with a 5 1/2" barrel and walnut grips.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com