Author Topic: What gear would an 1860 Californio carry with him?  (Read 200861 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What gear would an 1860 Californio carry with him?
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2009, 02:09:14 PM »
Mogorilla,

I have always felt that it is far cheaper to buy the very best that can be had ... I have done otherwise in times past, and by the time that I paid for the postage to send the product back for repair and paid for said repair, I could have bought the original ... as it was, all I had was the 'fixed' cheap product and the manufacturers 'word' that it would never happen again....

Reminds me of a quote from the astronaut Alan Shephard ... "It's a very sobering feeling to be up in space and realize that one's safety factor was determined by the lowest bidder on a government contract." ...

Kind of the same idea ....

Get the best. If you can't afford it, wait and save until you can.

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2009, 03:51:50 PM »
Major 2,

I did not take your post lightly, and respect your studies.

In fact, with all the many fine books that have been suggested to me, I have started a WORD document listing all the titles and authors so that I can start reading them .....

And from all the work that I have been able to lightly scratch up, i.e. Wickipedia on 1851 Colts, it appears that they were first in production in 1850, and were a factor (in 1851-52) if not the primary weapon that they became during the later Gold Rush....

;D What I meant was...In the book there are references to California Shippments..

However here you will find an orginial document...
 http://www.prices4antiques.com/autographs/documents-signed/DS-Colt-Elisha-for-Samuel-Colt-Gold-Rush-Firearms-Shipment-1851-B181582.htm

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2009, 04:54:22 PM »
Another person sent me the same post on the 'When did the 1851 Colt begin to reach California' thread ... so now I can look recieved weapons using the San Francisco Agent's name ...

Thanks!
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 12:43:33 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2009, 06:32:02 PM »
Can't imagion who that other person was  ;D

your welcome

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
Okay,

The 1851 Navy Colt has arrived ... just waiting for something to put it in ...

The jacket, pants, shirt, holster and gunbelt are all on order; supposed to arrive about Friday 2 October.

The sash, and hat will be bought when the jacket arrives.

The Calzoneras is on Chuck Burrows 'dance list' just waiting for the influx of 'fun tickets" to seal the deal...

And when I get all but the Botas, I hope to go back to Fat City (where the pic in my profile was taken; the bar and barback are over 150 years old), and get another pic... which will end up on my profile at that time ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: What gear would an 1860 Californio carry with him? ... Update
« Reply #85 on: October 26, 2009, 10:13:11 AM »
Just got word that the Vaqueor jacket has arrived and is at Sacramento Dry Goods

I found some matching calaveras pants at Hamilton Dry Goods, but when they arrived they were much too long. So Sacramento dygoods is removing the placquet with the button holes , shortening the pants, and then splitting the seam higher and sewing  the placquet back on ... I will lose a button, but Hamilton Dry Goods is snding me extra buttons (For free; great people!) so it will work out.

Got the 1851 Colt, the holster, Belduque and sheath. Chuck Burrows had an old belt that was never paid for, and he is shortening it to fit my waist (at a 44" waist I never thought I would be able to say something was being shortned for me ...LOL).

I bought a 'Gamblers Shirt' from Hamilton Dry Goods that has the full collar (as opposed to banded collar) that a Californio would wear ... and it has ruffled cuffs that will 'shoot'out of the Vaquero jacket much in the original fashon. It is pumpin colored and matches the pants and jacket ... ought to give it a bit of a 'dandy' looke ....

So now all I have to get to be in personna is a red sash and a really wide brimmed straw hat ... both available at Sacramento Dry Goods...

And to repeat I will send a pic whehn I finally have everything all together...

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: What gear would an 1860 Californio carry with him? Update
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2009, 12:28:56 AM »
As of this date:

I have the Vaquero Jacket, the calaveras (pants) with blood red sash, pumpkin colored Gambler's Shirt
I now have the 1851 Colt and Slim Jim holster, got a square trigger for it, have found a jewerlry shop who will silver plate the trigger guard and backstrap ...

Waiting on a pistol belt from Chuck Burrows as well as a pair of Botas De Alas ...

Sacramento Dry good turned me onto a Mexican Dance Supply company in San Antonio that had a red bowtie to match the sash.

Their website is:

http://www.larosadancesupply.com/Home_Mariachi.html

Again, once I get the whole outfit together I will add a pic ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline kflach

• The Cockroach Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3258
    • Kevin Flach - Digital Communicator
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2009, 01:37:34 PM »
After waiting all this time I want more than just a picture. You got any friends with a cell phone who can shoot videos of you doing one of them Mexican Dances (as in the movie "Zorro" starring Catherine Zeta Jones, Anthony Hopkins, Catherine Zeta Jones, Antonio Bandaras and Catherine Zeta Jones)? I'm guessing they might have 'How-To' videos at that Mexican Dance Supply Company in San Antonio.

You could get promoted from "WaddWatsonEllis" to "WaddWatsonEllis - The Dancing Docent"

<grin>

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2009, 04:38:05 PM »
KFlach,

After all this time I want more than pictures, too!

But you have obviously never seen me walk, 'cause after a cross country ski injury left me with bone-on-bone on my right knee, penguins have a more graceful gait ... but I am really good at doing an impression of Dennis waver as Chester in Gunsmoke .... "Mr. Dillon, Mr Dillon; wait up Mr Dillon!"

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2009, 05:41:46 PM »
Help ...

I have come down to the point in becoming a docent that I have to find a person who actually existed  .....

Due the time I have chosen, I think it would be very possigle to find a Californio who might have already lost his land, and has turned to the only thing he knows, i.e. ranching.

I am guessing tht there should be several people who, after they lost their own haciendas, went to work as a foreman for another Califonio ... or maybe even a Yanqui

If I could find such a fellow, he would be in a place where he has seen the best and worst of the change from the old California to the Gold Rush Era ....

Has anyone run accross such a person in their own research?

NCOWS #3403

Offline FriscoCounty

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 83712
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2009, 07:31:04 PM »
Here is a list of California history books available for free or close to it from Amazon.com as Kindle editions.  A version of the Kindle software is available for the PC -  http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd?docId=1000426311

California Four Months among the Gold-Finders, being the Diary of an Expedition from San Francisco to the Gold Districts
http://www.amazon.com/California-Gold-Finders-Expedition-Francisco-ebook/dp/B001OI3G4Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1258766059&sr=1-2  99 cents

California, 1849-1913; or, the rambling sketches and experiences of sixty-four years' residence in that state (Kindle Edition)
http://www.amazon.com/California-1849-1913-experiences-sixty-four-ebook/dp/B002RKT5FC/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1258766059&sr=1-9  Free currently

California and the Californians
http://www.amazon.com/California-and-the-Californians-ebook/dp/B000JQUKSW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1258766370&sr=1-1  Free currently

The March of Portola and the Discovery of the Bay of San Francisco
http://www.amazon.com/March-Portola-Discovery-Francisco-ebook/dp/B000JQULP4/ref=kinw_tu_recs_3?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2  Free currently

The Mountains of California by John Muir
http://www.amazon.com/The-Mountains-of-California-ebook/dp/B000JMKVZS/ref=sr_1_110?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1258766604&sr=1-110   Free currently

Frontier service during the rebellionor, A history of Company K, First Infantry, California Volunteers (Kindle Edition)
http://www.amazon.com/Frontier-rebellionor-California-Volunteers-ebook/dp/B002RKRXU6/ref=sr_1_65?ie=UTF8&s=digital-text&qid=1258766549&sr=1-65  Free currently
NRA Life Benefactor, CRPA Life, SASS Life 83712, RO I, Hiram Ranger 48, Coyote Valley Sharpshooters, Coyote Valley Cowboys, SASS TG

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2009, 10:13:52 AM »
FriscoCounty,

When it comes to a computer, I am a definite neo-Luddite ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luddite

Although I am aware of the Kindle revolution, I would be much more readily use that noun to describe small bits of wood used to start a campfire ...

But I will write up your list (by hand) and see if the library can order them for me ...

Thanks!

NCOWS #3403

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2009, 08:05:01 PM »
This is the area I grew up around.

It seems there was an interesting mixture of Spanish Land Grant lands interspersed with Yanquis even back before the days of the Gold Rush.

Maybe you'll find something or someone here that you could latch onto?

http://www.portolavalley.net/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=1986

Also research "Ormondale Ranch"

Happy researching!
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2009, 08:55:46 PM »
I am more of a "technophobe", and I suspect that is more like you feel about computers;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technophobia

At one time my supervisors took a computer away from me because
1. I wasn't using it, or couldn't
2. One of our support staff actually required one to work for us.

Since then I have found computers ever more useful and much easier to use.  I probably spend waay too much time on them!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: December 14, 2009, 12:31:09 AM »
Sir Charles,

The last job that I had was working as a registration clerk for a very busy Emergency Room. I noticed that while I was concentrating on control/F8/enter, the teenage clerk (who grew up with computers) was typing twice as fast as I was and not even looking at her keyboard, keeping a running conversation with the next clerk that went something like, "Well, I saw Johnnie at the bar, and I told him yadayadayada ... and do you know what he said? He said yadayadayada.

And where I was admittting 60 in an 8 hour shift, they were admitting 90-100 and taking up my slack ... my manager finally said, "You know, you're just not gonna ever learn this ... '

So I am thinking something like a Walmart Greeter or one of those seniors who demonstrate foods at Costco....

Grogan, the area I am thinking of would be within a days ride on horseback from Sacramento. So that my character can be just riding in to check on  an order at Huntington and Hopkins .... which would give me a plausible reason to be in Old Sacramento even if I was a foreman/Jefe ...

But I will research the two sources you gave ....

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/684/files/hardware.pdf

NCOWS #3403

Offline Mad River Frank

• Citizen
  • Mad River Frank (a.k.a. - Chemo-Sabey)
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: December 14, 2009, 01:50:09 AM »
I'm with the Luddites.  My favorite book, Mark Twain's Roughing It --the Bancroft Library edition, is a good source for what most Yanquis wore and carried.  Californios were vaqueros, and had their own style of dress and tack.  Their sombreros were not quite as broad as worn my Mexicans, but the rest of their dress was similar.  If you're looking to recreate a Californios of Spaniard or Mexican background you could try Wikipedia or Google it.  If an Anglo, I'd look through Roughing It.  It's a great read, too.
"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove any doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln

Mad River Frank

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: December 14, 2009, 02:17:00 AM »
Mad River Frank,

I carelessly said I would be a living docent as a Californio, thinking I could just buy a Vaquero Jacket and use my Ruger Old Armys ... was I wrong!

Now, $1400 later for a volunteer position, I now have an 1851 Colt, California Slim Jim holster on a period Chuck Burrows black powder belt, a beltline 5 1/2" bladed Belduque, a pair of Calveras and matching Vaquero Jacket. I have a 10" blade damascene Belduque being made for me to tuck into the Botas de Alas that Chuck Burrows is making for me. For now I will be wearing an old pair of cowboy boots, but if this position works out, I may be looking for the over-the-ankle-boots that Californios wore. But for now, all that I am waiting for is the red brocade tie to match the red waist sash that I already own ... the Botas and Belduque will be this spring, and when the Californio boots will be made is anybodies guess ....

But what I am looking for is a particular person that actually lived in the Sacramento area ... someone who might have had a rancho at one time but lost it, and has become a foreman/jefe to another ranchero. That way I could introduce myself as a particular person from the area, and explain that I had ridden in from the rancho to check on an important shipment that was expected, staying in character as I gave my tour.

I have had a state park person do this for a tour of the Ehrlman Estate in western Lake Tahoe, giving the whole tour of the house and estate as the actual butler from the 1920's (dressed as the majordomo would have). He treated us as Great Gatsby-era arriving guests, and it made the tour make far more sense than if it had been just a guy in a park ranger uniform.

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2009, 02:33:25 AM »
Sir Charles,

I often think of the headmaster of my military high school. I went through the circuitous route of getting face time with him ....

Explained that I had a 3.5+ grade average, and asked if I could take a typing class during one of my evening study halls.

He did a Nikita Kruschev and did everything but pound the table with his shoe .... told me in no uncertain words that I was being trained to be a leader, 'and would always have someone to do my typing for me (his words, not mine)...

Contrast this with the average kid that I am competing with for a job ... who was playing games on a computer at least by the second grade ... where I didn't learn to type until my late 40s ... As the words to one of Jimmy Buffet's classics so aptly puts:

Yes I am a pirate,
200 years too late,
Cannons don't thunder,
There's nothin' to plunder,
I'm just an over 40 victim of fate

I mean, at least the dinosaurs got to die before they became relics ... LOL

NCOWS #3403

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #98 on: December 14, 2009, 10:32:12 AM »
Wadd;  My grade 11 Science class got the same lecture, only that we would ALL become rich engineers!

I have become fairly handy with the HP method of typing.  HUNT & PECK

My work mates would pause by my office door and shake their heads in amazement.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2009, 11:55:12 AM »
I prefer the Columbus Method of typing:  (Note historical reference)

I find a key, and land on it!
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk