Author Topic: The New SHOW US YER STUFF Thread #4 Now Closed for Reference Only  (Read 438991 times)

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: The New SHOW US YER STUFF Thread #4
« Reply #520 on: January 31, 2016, 02:21:25 PM »
Thanks, compadres. Some better pics...

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #521 on: January 31, 2016, 09:56:31 PM »
Great work Skeet... 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #522 on: February 14, 2016, 02:54:05 PM »
Thanks, pards. I try to get that 19th-century look...

Advertising

Offline treadhead1952

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #523 on: March 01, 2016, 03:27:37 PM »
First of all, I had to go through a whole bunch of excellent work and craftsmanship in Leather to finally arrive here.  I am in awe of the abilities of the guys showing their leather here.

As an old gun nut I realized that I would have to come up with some leather on my own and having done the required leather wallets and such as a youngun', I sorta had an idea.  A real gun Belt and Holster could run into some money if you wanted anything that was good looking. Tandy Leather always seemed to be handy to where I was so I followed a lot of what they had to offer over the years.  My "Bible" for Holster making was Al Stohlman's  Holster book to begin with.  With each new firearm was a new leather project or two it seemed.  The stuff that came with hunting knives started to look sort of "iffy" and I started to see what I could do there as well.  The Cowboy Heroes of my youth had some really special leather in most cases.  It always seemed that there was a lot of inspiration out there if you kept looking hard enough.

I started to build up a small collection of knives that would go along with my old west type handguns and eventually had a few Bowies and even an Arkansas Toothpick or two.  I made up a sheath for the Arkansas Toothpick I liked the best when the one that came with it proved to be too small to fit it and Bud K sent me a second one just like the first.  I purchased a Remington 1858 short barreled revolver and had made a gun belt and holster to go with it so I wanted the sheath to go with that one.

I also wanted a Bullet Pouch to add in there since cartridge loops were out of the question.

I have also made up a few other holsters for my other revolvers like my Ruger New Model Blackhawks in .357.

When I picked up an Hombre Model .45 Colt I had to come up with some loops for that one.

I have a few other items I make up for Black Powder use like two sizes of Powder Measure Holsters, Percussion Cap Pouches, Cylinder Pouches, and the list goes on as I figure out new stuff to cart around. :D

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #524 on: March 01, 2016, 11:55:18 PM »
TH1952, Nice work all around , I really like the knife sheath, it looks very authenic and period correct, thanks for sharing...OH , and wwelcome to our forum. we're glad to have you join in with us...

tEN wOLVES ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline treadhead1952

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #525 on: March 02, 2016, 02:04:37 PM »
Thanks Ten Wolves,

I really wish that I could get out to participate with the local group here in Las Vegas but unfortunately my job has me working every weekend.  It is awful hard to say no to a job that has you working 4 days a week and off for three day weekends even when those weekends are on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.  I have 6 more years of working until I retire, so maybe I can get more involved then.  I figure I get to practice all that time so maybe it won't be for naught. ;)

I am into Black Powder shooting and that is reflected in my leather endeavors.  I've been making things like Powder Flask Holsters to carry them more conveniently than tucked away in a Possibles Pouch.

I also work on small pouches that can carry Percussion Cap Tins or Spare Cylinders.  There are also Bullet or Ball Pouches to carry the extra lead required to feed those revolvers and holsters.

I sometimes stray to more modern subjects, but those are mostly for my own carry pieces.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #526 on: March 02, 2016, 08:06:01 PM »
TH1952, I've been where you are now in your life, so I do understand, but you do have a lot to look forward to when you retire, so many retired guys don't have a thing going for them when they retire, this is a great hobby, and craft, so once again welcome, it's a pleasure to have you with us..

tEN wOLVES ;D

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #527 on: March 03, 2016, 07:47:04 PM »
Good work, TH. Those all are fine pieces. Thanks for sharing. Welcome to the forum.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline treadhead1952

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #528 on: March 03, 2016, 08:48:04 PM »
Thanks Guys,

As I said, it's hard not turning your gun hobby into a bit of a leather one too.  As with most things, the more you do the better you eventually get at it.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #529 on: March 16, 2016, 03:45:46 PM »
I volunteer at a western museum one day a week giving tours.  The museum is Museum of the Mountain West in Montrose Co.  A really neat museum, here is their site www.museumofthemountainwest.org.  I made a holster and belt for other tour guides to wear with a fake SAA.  Also a picture of me in the saloon.

Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #530 on: March 16, 2016, 05:43:17 PM »
Looks great, SR. Now everyone can look the part. 8)

Thanks for the link. That's not far off Hwy 70. How's the road along 50? Easy enough to pull a 35' motor home along it easily? Been looking for an excuse to go through there again.

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #531 on: March 16, 2016, 07:02:08 PM »
Howdy Marshall,

HW 50 is 4 lanes from Grand Junction to Montrose.  A lot of big RV drive it.  Come on down it is a great museum.  The collection is displayed in actual shops and businesses.  There are also a lot of original buildings, school, church, general store, gun smith shop and more.  

Tours usually take 2 hrs.

Silver Rings

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #532 on: March 16, 2016, 08:38:23 PM »
Howdy Marshall,

HW 50 is 4 lanes from Grand Junction to Montrose.  A lot of big RV drive it.  Come on down it is a great museum.  The collection is displayed in actual shops and businesses.  There are also a lot of original buildings, school, church, general store, gun smith shop and more.  

Tours usually take 2 hrs.

Silver Rings
Thanks for the information. Sounds good.

Offline santee

• Keeping the Spirit of the Old West Alive
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The business end of a sixgun earns no interest.
    • Arizona Ghostriders
  • SASS #: 2171
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #533 on: March 17, 2016, 11:07:59 AM »
That's really neat Silver_Rings. I hope to be able to volunteer my time at a place like that someday. Great holster!
Historian at Old Tucson Studios
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #534 on: March 17, 2016, 05:40:26 PM »
Howdy Santee, doing the tours are a lot of fun and gives me another chance to wear my CAS clothes and guns.  I've  been doing the tour since last June and have meet a bunch of nice people from the U.S. and many other countries. 

Silver Rings

Offline santee

• Keeping the Spirit of the Old West Alive
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The business end of a sixgun earns no interest.
    • Arizona Ghostriders
  • SASS #: 2171
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #535 on: March 18, 2016, 07:38:49 AM »
Congrats!
Historian at Old Tucson Studios
SASS #2171
STORM #371
RATS #431
True West Maniac #1261

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #536 on: March 19, 2016, 01:35:32 PM »
Howdy Silver Rings,
Nice work on the Holster Rig. I'll bet thats a lot of fun giving those tours.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #537 on: March 20, 2016, 05:19:00 PM »
Silver Rings, what a lucky pard you are, that must be a lot of fun, thanks for sharing...

tEN wOLVES  ;D

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #538 on: March 20, 2016, 07:01:02 PM »
Howdy Folks, giving tours is a lot of fun and I keep learning thing about the old stuff from the people I'm guiding.  Each guide gives the tour their own view of it.  I try to get people to imagine what living in the 1800's was like.  I find for myself it is hard to get my mind around how things were with out running water, electricity, modern health care, refrigeration and on and on. 

Silver Rings 

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #539 on: March 26, 2016, 12:49:13 PM »
Buffalo skinner's kit from the 1870s. (Maybe)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com