Author Topic: The New SHOW US YER STUFF Thread #4 Now Closed for Reference Only  (Read 437644 times)

Offline brenn

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The New SHOW US YER STUFF Thread #4
« Reply #460 on: July 26, 2015, 07:57:37 PM »
Looks good, Brenn. The use of those Chicago screws is a nice touch. Nice work.

Thanks.  It was originally supposed to have white thread, but I re-dyed the holster after cutting the stitching groove and making the stitching holes and the dye in the holes made my thread gray, so I just dyed everything black and switched to black thread.

I have been trying to decide how to add cartridge loops to the belt.  I looked in "Packing Iron" today, for ideas, and the first picture between the "contents" and "forward" has a belt with, I guess what you call "semi-woven" cartridge loops (loop comes out one slot in the belt and goes back in another).  The semi-woven loops set the cartridges about an inch apart, with a rivet/spot between each one.  

My plan is to do the same, but put them a hair closer together, use one of those engraved Chicago screws between each loop, to carry the look of the holster to the belt, and then gut a straight groove above the loops, so the cartridge rim can rest in the groove.

I also need to figure out how to use a little bit of the snakeskin on the belt, to really make it a "set."

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #461 on: July 27, 2015, 12:05:11 AM »
I also need to figure out how to use a little bit of the snakeskin on the belt, to really make it a "set."
Can you make the belt loops with the snakeskin?

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline brenn

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #462 on: July 27, 2015, 05:07:13 AM »
Can you make the belt loops with the snakeskin?
Don't have enough - I'll probably just put some at each end of the row of loops.

Advertising

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #463 on: July 27, 2015, 09:25:18 AM »
What about covering a couple of screw back conchos with the snakeskin? You could even do one in the middle as well as at the ends. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

Offline brenn

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #464 on: July 29, 2015, 07:54:34 PM »
What about covering a couple of screw back conchos with the snakeskin? You could even do one in the middle as well as at the ends. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

That's a good idea - in fact, I think Tandy may have some conchos that are made for that purpose - so you can inlay leather in the middle or cover them or whatever.

I might just cut some diamond shapes out of the snake skin and sew them on.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #465 on: July 30, 2015, 09:52:46 AM »
That's a good idea - in fact, I think Tandy may have some conchos that are made for that purpose - so you can inlay leather in the middle or cover them or whatever.

I might just cut some diamond shapes out of the snake skin and sew them on.
I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Offline brenn

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #466 on: August 03, 2015, 07:00:21 AM »
I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
Well, here are the cartridge loops I made.  Semi-woven (2 slots for each loop) with Chicago screws in between, to match the ones in the holster.  I cut a decorative groove along each edge of the belt, then another groove above and below the loops.  All of the grooves are decoration except the one right above the loops - the edge of the cartridge rim sits in that one, to help hold the cartridges in place.

I still haven't worked out what to do with the snake skin, on the belt and I just ordered some 1925 Stone Mountain half dollar conchos that I might use on it.

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #467 on: August 03, 2015, 09:19:33 AM »
Have you thought about getting one of the belt buckle blanks from Tandy and covering it with the snake. https://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/home/department/buckles/1800-00.aspx

Offline brenn

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #468 on: August 03, 2015, 10:59:23 AM »
Have you thought about getting one of the belt buckle blanks from Tandy and covering it with the snake. https://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/home/department/buckles/1800-00.aspx

I don't really like that style of buckle - I prefer the Tandy California style buckles.

A lesson I learned, making these cartridge loops, was using hole punches and wood chisels to cut slots.  Turns out, punching a hole at each end of the slot and then using the right size chisel to join them together into a slot let you cut easier and straighter and with more control than using oblong punches.  So far, I have never had any good luck with an oblong punch.

For these, I cut a cardboard strip the width of my belt, then laid out the slots and Chicago screw holes by punching each end of each slot and the screw holes with a 1/8" hole punch.  The patter goes from one end out to 8 sets of slots.  Then I just laid the cardboard on my belt and marked the holes on the back of the belt with a sharpie marker, then flipped the patter around and partly overlapped my marked holes to extend the other end out to the number of loops I wanted and marked the rest of the holes.  Then I took my 1/8" punch and punched all the slot ends and a 3/16 or 1/4" and punched the holes for the Chicago screws.  All punches from the back side of the belt.

After punching the holes, I turned the belt over and, from the front, took my 3/4" chisel and lined it up with the right edges of the top and bottom holes for each slot and hit it with the hammer and joined the holes, then did the same on the left side of each pair of holes.

After punching the holes and cutting the slots (and re-dyeing the inner edges of the cut slots) I took my strap for making the loops and laced it through, putting a cartridge in each loop, pulling it tight and anchoring it by one Chicago screw at a time, down the row.  I would pull each loop tight, then past the Chicago crew holes and up through the first slot for the next loop, then I'd take my 1/8" punch and punch through the middle of the Chicago screw hole in the belt, to make a screw holes in the loop-strap.

Then I set a cartridge where I wanted it to ride on the bet and set my stitching groover even with the rim and cut a groove that the cartridge rim will sit in, to keep them in place in the loops.  That's just an idea I came up with while I was working - not really tested yet, but I could feel the cartridges snap into the groove when I put them in the loops. The advantage of the semi-woven loops, over fully woven (1 slot per loop) is that these hold the cartridges against the belt, so it's easier to use something to keep them from sliding down in the loop.

It was a lot faster and easier than stitching the loops, in my opinion.  The loops should also be stronger and it's possible to adjust them, or even change the caliber, with a new piece of 3/4" strap.  I still think stitched loops probably look better and will give you more rounds on the belt in the same space.  The advantage of these loops

I read conflicting recommendations on making the loops with a wet or dry strap.  I did it dry.  Seems OK so far.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #469 on: August 03, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »
That belt looks great with your holster, Brenn. It doesn't even need the snakeskin but covered conchos may look really nice with it. I like it.

Offline brenn

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #470 on: August 03, 2015, 01:00:04 PM »
That belt looks great with your holster, Brenn. It doesn't even need the snakeskin but covered conchos may look really nice with it. I like it.
Thanks.

So far I'ver made 3 holsters for single action revolvers and 2 for double actions and 3 cowboy belts and 1 regulat 1.5" belt.

I'm thinking my next project may be a holster for a semi-auto - those look at whole lot easier.  I took apart my Triple K copy of an Askins Avenger holster and used it to make a pattern, so I'll probably make a 1911 holster.

Offline Jack Wagon

• Top Active Citizen
  • the High Sierra
  • Liked:
« Reply #471 on: August 18, 2015, 08:39:55 PM »
I haven't done any leather work for awhile and a friend wanted a sheath for his in custom bowie. The thing is a monster, it weighs two pounds! His only instructions were, make it dark,put a black bear on it and make accommodation for a leg tie down. I used solid copper rivets and burrs to hold it together. It is 5 layers of 9oz in some places. I used a buffalo snap to hold the knife in and to match the nickles inletted in the handle. Put some resist on the trim to make it stand out. Hope he likes it.  JW
Jack Wagon
Member NRA
Member #358 SSS

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #472 on: August 18, 2015, 09:26:21 PM »
Jack Wagon, good looking sheath.

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #473 on: August 20, 2015, 01:12:39 PM »
That looks good with that knife, Jack. I like the bear on it. Nice work.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #474 on: September 18, 2015, 07:42:03 AM »
Made this for a Door Prize Winner.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #475 on: September 18, 2015, 07:50:33 AM »
I made the Black Rig for my son and the Walnut rig for my Grandson.

I remember taking my son hunting for his first time thirty three years ago. Now he takes his son hunting. They both shoot SASS and NCOWS matches with me. Time sure flies!
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #476 on: September 18, 2015, 01:45:10 PM »
Fine looking rigs, Johnny. All three are top quality. You have a fortunate son and grandson. Also, there's going to be some lucky door prize winner out there. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #477 on: September 18, 2015, 09:00:01 PM »
Great rigs, and good times, and the time does go by too fast, thanks fo sharing Johnny... 8)

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #478 on: September 19, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
Howdy Marshall Will & Ten Wolves,
Many thanks for the kind words and all of the hard work you Gents put in to make this such an excellent forum.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #479 on: September 19, 2015, 04:15:18 PM »
Fine looking rigs, Johnny. All three are top quality. You have a fortunate son and grandson. Also, there's going to be some lucky door prize winner out there. Thanks for sharing.

I'm also fortunate, asked John to duplicate this one, for me...   it's a beauty

My hands just cant handle the sewing anymore, I suffer for a few days after I hand sew one anymore  :(
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com