Author Topic: Horse Calvaryman saying hello to SSS Members  (Read 763 times)

Offline Horsecavalryman

• Any time with a horse between yer knees is better than without!
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Horse Calvaryman saying hello to SSS Members
« on: August 02, 2020, 05:31:49 AM »
Horsecavalryman here.  I'm in Colorado, USA little north of Air Force Academy. Historic hamlet since 1826 Maj. Longs expedition.  I've been doing Living History since 1976, and mounted with 7th ILL Volunteer Cavalry in 1986 to 1992 and then 5th Texas Vol. Cavalry, Company C. Colorado.  Still with CO. C. Colorado 4th. US. Cavalry Memorial  and 1st. U.S. Dragoons.
Living History is most fun you can have with your cloths on.  It's also a working "Time Machine".   You just have to put a lot of Sweat Equity in and hang with like indeviduals.  Can't do it alone to my knowledge.
Love Spencers.  Unique and defineing American Creation.  Enabled many late war victory's.  And actually took American Cavalry into the 'Firearms Era' almost a hundred years earlier than the rest of the world's cavalry.  They also saw service overseas with French during their Franco Prussian War.
No one ever hit with a Spencer round claimed they were underpowered.  The fact that they were used for buffalo by both hunters and Indians also discounts this falacy.  Especially the later necked down 44cal.
Have A Good Ride!

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
Re: Horse Calvaryman saying hello to SSS Members
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 05:17:56 PM »
Howdy, friend. I did not know Spencers saw use in the Franco-Prussian unpleasantness. They certainly figured in the dragoon/cavalry conflicts with the Mescalero Apaches here in south-central New Mexico and next door in Arizona.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com