Author Topic: Shooting 45 Colt  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Shooting 45 Colt
« on: October 22, 2019, 09:28:34 AM »
Repeated mention is made of heavier bullets creating more recoil and I don't dispute that, but in actually test firing bullets I bought as 255 grain and actually weighing 265, the Lyman minimum load is fine and way less push back and muzzle rise than a full spec load rated at 860 fps. I also had occasion to need to borrow 5 rounds to finish a match and was offered 160 gr loads that were tame enough but not dramatically so. I prefer a bit of recoil which also helps in recocking a full length hammer. I don't know if the shorter COL of 160 gr would run okay in the rifle. I am inclined to use that weight bullet in any 45 CS I might try. The 160 in a 45 Colt case could be pushed well over the velocity limit for pistols (1000 fps), so there is that to keep in mind.

I am going over all these ideas because I recently acquired a like new JM Marlin Cowboy Competition in 45 Colt and now have a set of guns in 45 Colt to shoot as an alternative. I used them in one match so far. I like a certain amount of recoil, often preferring to shoot my magnums when at the range. I am in Cattle Baron and don't need to be the fastest shooter on the street. My guns are 5 1/2" barrels, so are a bit less susceptible to recoil and muzzle flip.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Shooting 45 Colt
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 07:35:01 PM »

Well ..... OK  ;)

There are more than one or two mitigating factors you must consider beside just the weight of the Projectile.  First things first.  Yes.  A 45 Colt case will run just fine "mechanically" with 160Gr RNFP bullet.  The 160Gr bullet will also run really fine in the Cowboy 45 Special cases.  Super in C45S cases.

The specific "Felt" recoil with 45 Colt will be different depending on the actual bullet and the powder used.  Recoil is based on Physics.  Equal and Opposite and all that.  Bullet weight, bullet velocity, dwell time in the barrel, pressure spike charities all have bearing on the recoil experience.  I can load you up some 45 Colt rounds with 160Gr bullets that will curl your hair.  Load some with 255s that will leave you "ho Hum."

Reduced loads and light bullets also contribute to "Blow By" which is gun gas blowing back past the cartridge case into the action and the shooters face.  Most 45 Colt chambers in rifles we use are oversize for caliber and blow by is common.  It can be mitigated or eliminated but that is another subject.  45s-R-Fun by the way.

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 01:23:02 PM »
Loading 255 (actual 265) RNFP with Trailboss and minimum Lyman load rated at 796 fps. Will shoot this 1000 rounds and go from there. I can always use these in the rifle and do something else with the pistols. I have nickel cases I could use that would allow some color coding at the loading table.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:59:27 AM »

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 09:59:44 PM »
Roscoe,
Be careful of plated cases in a rifle. They split a lot more that brass cases. i don't know if the plating process makes them harder and more prone to split, but my experience is use plated cases in revolvers,  and brass cases in rifles.
Bunk

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 10:23:22 PM »
Nickel brass is more brittle due to the plating. I will usually split 1 or 2 cases at every match. I use brass case .45 lc in my rifle [225-250 gr bullets] and nickel in my .45 lc revolvers [200 gr]. I also use black smoke plastic mtm ammo boxes for rifle and light blue boxes for revolvers to store and color code ammo boxes.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 08:50:53 AM »
Yes, mention of nickel cases always triggers the usual caveats. Using the brass for the rifles seems like a good idea.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 10:05:02 AM »
I initially tried the shiny stuff in my rifles thinking that I would loose less brass but with attending state and regional matches where you unfortunately donate your rifle brass I swapped it around and used the nickel in my vaqueros and brass brass in my Marlin. Shooting costs enough, no need to throw money away.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 04:17:50 PM »
What organization and match requires you to donate 60 rounds of rifle cases? Who would go for that? That is $13.20 plus some portion of shipping according to Starline prices, and that is not for nickel.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 04:24:10 PM »

Haven't seen much of it lately, but some time back there were some 2 and 3 day matches with really huge attendance that attempted to "speed" up the posse by not picking up brass.  Called 'em "Lost Brass" matches.

Not my cup of tea.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 09:18:37 AM »
Being an older guy and have had all the recoil my wrists I can stand my.45 Colt load is a .45 Cowboy Special case with 1.3 c/c FFFg real GUN POWDER and a 205 grain Big Lube (shameless plug) bullet that replicates, from a ballistic stand point, the original Henry Rim Fire load according to my research. Works very well in both revolver and rifle, easy on recoil and accurate at 100 yards on an IPSC silhouette duplicating that great shot Gus made in Lonesome Dove..
Realizing I am in the nitro powder home here, but that is my 2 cents worth
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 11:39:59 AM »

:D   Bunk,

You should source a supply of 130Gr "Barnstormer" bullets.  Originally developed by Adirondack Jack (Original developer of the C45S case).  Ugly looking thing but super accurate really light recoil.  A lot like a .38   totally FUN!!

Recoil Wimpasourous

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 06:03:31 PM »
Haven't seen much of it lately, but some time back there were some 2 and 3 day matches with really huge attendance that attempted to "speed" up the posse by not picking up brass.  Called 'em "Lost Brass" matches.

Not my cup of tea.
Many more than just 60 then.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 07:10:51 PM »

Roscoe  :(

You would be correct.  Some Lustrum ago, when I could still chase the Brass Ring, when attending a multi-day State, Regional or National 3 day match, we were writing off a minimum of 120 Rifle cases.  Often there was a "box" at the unloading table where shooters also dumped their pistol cases.  You could easily kiss 240 cases good bye.

I didn't see that as a very good idea.  After the match was over, all the collected cases were auctioned off.  Instead of using fairly new, good condition brass, I just loaded and took my older nasty looking brass.  Still didn't like it much.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2019, 08:10:45 PM »
I?ve not been to a state or regional sass match in many years. Kinda got tired of shooting my SA?s and rarely use them anymore preferring DA?s and selfloaders at my club?s wasa/sass monthly shoots. However I did change things up today at our monthly shoot and used my two longest long guns, a uberti 1873 and a Marlin  model 24 both with 30 in bbls and my two shortest bbled .45 vaqueros, a 3.5 in birdshead and a 2 in sheriff?s model that Andy Horvath built for me many years ago. Had a good shoot with only 2 misses. The brass key is my ejector.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com