Author Topic: Krag Sporter  (Read 7322 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Krag Sporter
« on: November 04, 2005, 10:51:59 PM »
Few days back, saw a sporterized Krag at a local gunshop.  Sporterized in this case meaning someone had pitched the original stock and sights and fitted the action to a Monte Carlo stock, with Williams gost ring sights.

Now in fact whoever had done this had done one heck of a job, smooth and professional.  But still, a sporterized military rifle is an abomination unto the lord, says I.  Especialy a Krag.  But the action was smooth and tight, the price $325.

After stewing a few days, I priced everything needed to bring it back to Milspec, and it came to . . . $325.  Between Gun Parts and S&S there was everything I needed.  So for a total of $650 I could have a Milspec M1898 Carbine, and a shooter to boot.  Intact Krag Carbines run well into 4 figures these days.  So I went back to look down the bore, figgered if it looked decent, I'd get it.

Well, the bore looked pretty good.  Better than decent.  So I gritted my teeth and paid the money.  Fellow runs a gun  store filled with antiques, and he don't negotiate.

I get it home, and started running a patch thru it.   What the hey?  Thats . . . Cosmoline?

Excited now, I run several patchs and brushs thru it, then hold it up to the light.  Its, perfect!  Mirror bright, sharp lands and grooves.  No pits, no corrosion. In fact, I can't see fouling of any type, copper, nothing.  It looks like its never been shot.  Is that possible?

I know some Krags were produced, stored, then later sold by the DCM having never been fired.  Could someone have sporterized one of these and never shot it?  Its got handling dings, and the finish is gone.  But I swear that bore looks pristine.

Well, the parts are ordered, I'll have some work to do, but a Krag with a perfect bore, even if its a cut down sporter to start with, is a fine thing.  I'll sure have it at the next muster.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Krag Sporter
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 12:29:50 AM »
Sounds like a real find, Sgt. Drydock!  Looking forward to seeing the finished product!
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 12:44:33 AM »

Sure is a real find, pard. No matter how sporterized it is, you have a piece of history there.

I hope to have a 30-40 Krag one day. I feel kind of connected to the Krag Jørgensen rifle with my background. Most of you know this, but I'll mention it anyhow.

The Krag-Jorgensen rifle was originally designed by Captain Ole Hermann Johannes Krag, who was the director of the Royal Norwegian Arms Factory at Kongsberg and Erik Jørgensen, also of Kongsberg, Norway.

Some relevant info can be found here:

http://www.answers.com/topic/krag-j-rgensen
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:08:46 AM »

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 06:18:45 AM »
Congrats Sgt!!!!!!!!
As my Step-Dad is fond of saying, "A man has got to have some luck"
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 07:24:46 AM »
Congrats!  I believe this is a case where the rare find is much more gratifying than the off the shelf purchase. 
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 08:44:19 PM »
There is a Krag sporter in a pawnshop here in Coffeyville, too.  I've looked at it a number of times, and though the price ain't too bad (about $300), it has been "hacked" on a number of times:  barrel cut down from rifle length,  several  plugged scope ring screwholes in the receiver and barrel,  looks like a Lyman or Williams Foolproof receiver sight mounted on it.  Oh, but it doess till have that smoooooth Krag action  !!
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 10:07:10 PM »
GunParts has drop in Krag Carbine stocks for around $120 right now, how long they'll last I don't know.  I keep checking in, every now and then they get new replacement carbine barrels as well.  Tween them and S&S you can pretty much build a Krag from scratch right now.

www.e-gunparts.com

www.ssfirearms.com
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 11:03:08 PM »
One of the most commonly sporterized weapons extant - Krags were almost the 'weapon of choice' when it came to building a smooth sporter.

They were plentiful and shot a well-proven round - perfect for deer country.

The DCM built up a bunch of Krag 'carbines' from spare parts and '03 Springfield barrels - readily identifiable by the front sight and the dated barrel.

Incidentally - the reason that those actions - as well as the actions of WWI-era Springfields - are so smooth is because they were essentially 'lapped-in' by troopers using a compound similar to valve-grinding compound.
Instructions were in the manual of the era and the work was supervised by an NCO.

If you want to know something about your serial number - send me a PM.

Sounds like you've got a good project.

Good Luck.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com