Author Topic: GAF Forum  (Read 13361 times)

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: GAF Forum
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2005, 06:49:04 PM »
Maj Lewis,

Point taken and I agree.  I didn't mean to keep all, or even any, Muster discussions private - the way you're doing it now is great.   

I was actually thinking of administrative issues involving the Muster that might have to be addressed in a private forum vice public.  Of course, we haven't had any need to do that yet, but there is always a possibility, such as we saw with the recent discussions on that GAF Medal, that might require a more private venue sometime in the future.   

I see the GAF Forum, if we go with it, to be a place to discuss GAF business that non-GAF members wouldn't be interested in - and in fact might find a turn-off until they had been exposed to the GAF for awhile.

US Scout
GAF Chief of Staff

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2005, 10:10:24 PM »
I guess you could call it "GAF HQ", or something along those lines - but yes, it would be a good venue for such subjects as the Uniform Board, Marksmanship Matches and award announcements, any changes to the GAF website.  Pretty much as stated - those "housekeeping" or administrative items that would be of little interest to those not involved in the GAF.

p.s.  Commandant of the Marine Corps issues "ALMAR"s (All Marines), messages concerning promotions, pay, uniform regs changes, etc.  Perhaps our Commander would issue an ALGAF ?
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2005, 07:45:39 PM »
Sounds like the solution is to create the child board here for GAF. 
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:35:25 PM »

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2005, 12:52:55 PM »
So is TFS dead and gone forever? What happened? I've been pretty busy but have been checking on it from time to time and finally stopped in here to check on the GAF Muster and such.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2005, 07:50:02 PM »
Perhaps not forever, but I suspect we won't see it again for a long while. 
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2005, 01:17:22 PM »
Sounds like the solution is to create the child board here for GAF. 

My offer still stands about a GAF HQ (child board in the barracks), if it is of interest. 
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2005, 02:35:38 PM »
Folks,

I say we take the Marshal up on his offer.  We have some wieghty discussions coming soon I feel.  Probably best to keep some of them in the family.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Derby Younger

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2005, 08:56:54 PM »
Evening All:

From a non-member. I would consider the "child board" carefully. If there is migration from Barracks to HQ it may decrease exposure to the GAF. The do's, dont's and general discussions are important to those interested, at least they were to me.

I found the Muster here. Sioux and I came down to the Muster because of what was written. Observing the Muster, meeting Matt and a lot of other folks generated more interest. Today, I linked to the GAF site for more information. Membership apps will be going out shortly.

Personally, a closed board creates a certain feelin of unease. Yep, the four stars shows me as a "Ghost Rider" in a closed forum. However, that forum is not discussing SASS Corporate questions or, for that matter, discussions regarding rules, should be rules, etc.

Thanks for listening.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2005, 09:12:41 PM »
Derby,

It was my pleasure meeting you at the Muster.  The benefit of a closed forum or child board, is it would give GAF Members the opportunity to discuss things like should we affiliate with an organization or proper wearing of medals awarded at the GAF Muster in a closed forum.  We would them be able to take those discussions when finished and export the results to the public. 

Since the membership fees of GAF are $0.00 per year, it does not take anything to be a member.  Once a member, you are given access to the child board.

I see it as a good thing.

Rich
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Big Hext

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2005, 11:07:51 PM »
Howdy Matt,

By the same token, because there is no dues and no restrictions to joining GAF, there really isn't any reason to close off discussion.
With the Missouri Scotsman being scarce, who blesses the addition of new members?

Just a couple of thoughts..
Adios,

Thank you for being you.. Annie Lee!

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• Top Active Citizen
  • ~Aggravator Emeritus~
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2005, 12:35:19 AM »
To alleviate any problems down the road, I would suggest that every attempt be made to contact the Scotsman and Captain Barrett. In previous conversations I had with them as moderator for the official GAF Forum on the OLD spot, an issue like this was raised.

They have the final word - it's their sandbox, folks.

That is the reason there currently is a GAF Forum at The Open Range. Unless otherwise directed by GAF HQ, that will remain open.
Hedley Lamarr
SASS #14478 ROII
~Aggravator Emeritus~
"Dashingly Corrupt"

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2005, 05:14:14 AM »
Howdy Matt,

With the Missouri Scotsman being scarce, who blesses the addition of new members?

Big Hext,

In the absence of Missouri Scotsman, I'm the one folks need to come to.

I don't have control of our webpage, so can't enlist anyone into the GAF, but that doesn't mean that a new enlistee can't make their presence known to the forum.

As for a closed board, while I don't particularly see a need for one, it does lend itself to washing our clothes in private so to speak.  I look at the GAF HQ board being strictly for business issues that would bore most, especially non-members.  We can continue to use the Barracks for open discussions on general interest topics. 

US Scout
Chief of Staff, GAF

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2005, 09:01:36 AM »
Hext,

Scout hit the nail on the head.  I just run the National shoot and float out ideas.  Scout is the only one willing to step up and provide leadership for the GAF as a whole.  He has a pretty good vision on what GAF can become.  To say that it's Scotsman's and Barretts sandbox, I feel, is not the case. 
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Big Hext

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2005, 09:49:34 AM »
Well, I'm glad to know that US Scout is the contact.. I wonder why that had not been made clear in the past?
I suggest that some method of updating the roster on the web page be found, or a list be kept elsewhere.

I don't know about sandbox, but the Scotsman did get this organization running and Barrett was a big part of the initial work.  So to dismiss them is callous at best.

Finally, I just don't see what needs to be discussed in private that couldn't be better handled via email, especially when any person wanting to read said private forum can say.. "Sign me up" and then enter the back room.  Seems like a lot of work for little tangible benefit.

Adios,

Thank you for being you.. Annie Lee!

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2005, 10:24:58 AM »
Big Hext,

I won't go into the sandbox issue, but suffice to say that basically Scotsman came to me with the idea (based on something I had posted on the SASS Wire) and we came up with the concept of the GAF.  Capt Barrett signed on to do the administration (enlistments, website, etc) .   We've moved on from there. 

However, the GAF doesn't belong to any one or two individuals - it belongs to the entire membership. 

I thought it was pretty clear that I was the POC, both here and on TFS, especially in the near total absence of Scotsman and Barrett.  I don't run around posting that I'm in charge - seems to be rude, but a lot of folks have come to me with their ideas and complaints so it wasn't like I was hiding either.

I view one of my roles as Chief of Staff to  keep us on track with the intiial concept or vision (ie, the mission statement on the website).  I sit back and listen to what folks have to say, get a concensus as to what is wanted, then see that we execute.  The GAF Muster is an outstanding example of this. 

Given that Scotsman and Barrett are not, for whatever reason, participating in the direction of the GAF, I'm going to contact them off-line and get that issue ironed out.  I'll also be specifically addressing the website issue - we need someone to run it since Barrett doesn't seem to have the time.

I'm not saying anything negative here.  I expect they are busy with other demands - family and work always come first.  But, if they (or anyone else in the GAF) can't do what they volunteered to do, they need to step aside, or at least let us know so that we can continue moving forward without waiting for their input.

US Scout
Chief of Staff, GAF

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• Top Active Citizen
  • ~Aggravator Emeritus~
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2005, 11:50:38 AM »
Fair enough, Scout.
I was not aware of the true origins of GAF; it was my impression that the Scotsman was the man behind the curtain and Barret was the other one who help flesh out the idea, so all of my contacts have been with those two.

I do agree the GAF is about the MEMBERS, so full speed ahead on any and all improvements.

I will continue to maintain the GAF section at The Open Range for any announcements and/or discussion folks want to have over there, if you or someone you appoint would please post such announcements over there.

regards,
Hedley Lamarr
SASS #14478 ROII
~Aggravator Emeritus~
"Dashingly Corrupt"

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2005, 04:28:19 PM »
Members of the GAF,

Lets not get into an uproar about the closed board.  I'm of two opinions myself as to whether the GAF needs it, but the Marshal has been kind enough to create one for us, so lets give it a trial run and see if it meets our requirements.  If not, we can strike the canvas and return to the Barracks.  If it does, then we'll take advantage of it.  However, I first have to learn how to run the dang thing, so bear with me.

Second, give me some time to discuss your concerns and various dormant issues with Bvt Gen Scotsman and Capt Barrett. 

I can tell you that inciting a mutiny is a capital offense, with the punishment of death, so no more talk of coups.  I got threatened with it enough when I was a young but very salty Marine. 

I get occasional roster updates from Capt Barrett so I know he is still trying to do what he can.  I know Scotsman is busy with work.  However, I will endevor to get them to report in so that they can hear your concerns. 

Hedley, I am not familiar with The Open Range, so I can't make any comment about what is said over there.  However, I appreciate you having a GAF Forum over there for those who wish to participate.  That said, I don't want to split us up between too many boards, so for the present time, Cas City/The Barracks will continue to be the GAF HQ.

For everyone else, I appreciate your comments, suggestions and ideas.  I do read them, or listen to them if you manage to catch me in person, and I do take them under serious consideration.  Given that we are growing in size, are spread across the country (if not around the world), encompass shooters, reenactors, and living historians, and it takes time for ideas to be digested and discussed, I do not want to act hastily with regard to policy and direction.  Neither do I want to let things procrastinate, but we need to be aware that decisions that impact on the entire organization can not be made lightly or quickly.  In this age of lightning communication, we sometimes forget that most people still operate at human speed and sometimes a few days, if not weeks, is necessary for the decision making process to work its way through.  None of us like having decisions made for us arbitrarily, so please set your watches to 19th century time as we work out our pending issues.

US Scout
Chief of Staff, GAF

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• Top Active Citizen
  • ~Aggravator Emeritus~
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2005, 05:07:55 PM »
Hedley, I am not familiar with The Open Range, so I can't make any comment about what is said over there.  However, I appreciate you having a GAF Forum over there for those who wish to participate.  That said, I don't want to split us up between too many boards, so for the present time, Cas City/The Barracks will continue to be the GAF HQ.

We'll follow the convention that the Major noted earlier.
This will be the main GAF HQ, with The Open Range GAF forum (http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php) as a fall back or Field HQ.

Many thanks to US Scout for his continued efforts with the GAF.
Hedley Lamarr
SASS #14478 ROII
~Aggravator Emeritus~
"Dashingly Corrupt"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com