Author Topic: Powder measures safe to use with Black Powder  (Read 4744 times)

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Powder measures safe to use with Black Powder
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2020, 10:58:03 PM »

If you're going to stick with measures that are said to be bp safe, then you have few options, the Lyman 55, Hornady makes an aluminum tubed measure for black, and the older Belding and Mull measures, MVA makes a modern copy of the BH
 I ran a Lyman 1200 DPS for many years and several cases of black powder, it finally crapped out, and I'm now using the RCBS Charge master.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2020, 09:08:45 AM »
I have been using a Lyman #55 for years to charge cases and throw charges for the cap guns. I use small glass specimen bottles to hold the cap gun loads.

I have also mounted the Lyman on my Dillon 550 in order to charge the case in the loading process. Never had a problem doing this but I stopped because it seemed to throw off my loading rhythm.

While I am here let me say that I do not believe it is possible to ignite black powder with a static spark, Not enough heat. Primer dust, I don't know.  Also, black powder burns, it does not explode.

Lucky

Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2020, 04:14:44 PM »
I use the Hornady BP measure on my A&P.  It works like a charm.  I also have a Lyman 55 BP measure which I use in conjunction with my T7.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:30:28 PM »

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2020, 04:21:11 PM »
Lucky,
You had better live up to your alias because Black Gun Powder IS an EXPLOSIVE not a flammable solid like nitro powders.

EXPLOSIVE is what it says on Du Pont cans, KIK cans,and Graf (Wano) cans.  I did not have time to look at Swiss, Olde Eynsford, or GOEX cans but they most likely say EXPLOSIVE somewhere.

Blasting powder, which is a granulation of Black Gun Powder, is what was used in the old days to remove rock for tunnels and things like that before Mr. Alfred Noble found out how to tame nitroglycerin.

If you doubt what I am saying get a pound of smokeless powder and a pound of real Black Gun Powder brand immaterial.

Stick a long (two or three minutes long) fuse in each can light them and walk away.

DO NOT do this in your back yard because there will be an interesting bang when the BP explodes.
Not so with the nitro powder it will flare up but not explode.

Keep pushing it Lucky and there may be some sad singing and deep digging around your house and us fellow shooters would not like to hear that.
Yr’ Obt’ Svt’
Bunk

Offline Yeso Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2020, 05:52:29 PM »
A little thread drift here:
I shouldn't tell this story but I will.  40 plus years ago I was on a BP Elk Hunt.  I got rained on and decided to build a fire and warm up.  All of the tinder I gathered was damp so I poured a small pile of BP out of the horn on a flat, dry rock and then laid my tinder and larger pieces over it.  So, I kneeled down and lit it with a match.  Lol  Big mistake.  The flash burned all of the hair off of my hand and the explosion blew all the wood every direction 5 or 6 feet. 

So, the lesson learned is BP truly is a potent explosive.  Those tv shows we watched as kids with frontiersmen using BP to start a fire was pure BS. 

Offline mtmarfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1664
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2020, 11:32:17 PM »
      Greetings!

For what it's worth, I use one of two Ideal #5 Powder Measures when reloading cartridge cases with BP; attached to the spout is a foot long piece of copper tubing. The body of the measure is cast steel; the brass tumbler has grain and drahm increments stamped on it, which are fairly accurate. Although product liability when this Measure was made is nothing like it is now, I'm fairly certain that Ideal didn't have it out for their clientele.

MTM

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2020, 03:23:10 PM »
I use the lyman 55 with the aluminum hopper and the lyman alum drop tube
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Wagon Box Willy

• Top Active Citizen
    • My BPCR/CAS Site
  • SASS #: 89519
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2020, 10:25:33 PM »
I've used the Lee auto disk on a Loadmaster for years and even had a full tray of Federal 150's go off without issue.

On my 650 I have the no longer available kit with aluminum hopper installed and loaded for years with that.  Now in my old age I'm a little more cautious and though it adds time, I first size and prime all my cases on the 650 and then load them in the case feeder again, change tool heads, and go about finishing the job.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com