Author Topic: Camping accessory reviews  (Read 175280 times)

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Camping accessory reviews
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2008, 02:27:51 PM »
The best charge I got was to drive partly down the way until all power died.  I guess if I had left it sitting for a while, I could have made it to the sto.
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2008, 02:57:31 PM »
On our two Toyotas we got 4 years on one battery and 5 years on tha other.

Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2008, 03:06:36 PM »
Mine is seven. The factory battery quit maybe a year ‘n a half ago. Hers quit just before that if memory serves. The Solara is an ’01 as well. Reckon that’s about right. Shouldah told me sumthin’.

Still pissed they stuck Delcos in both ‘em.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 09:54:02 AM »

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2008, 03:54:46 PM »
had to put 2 new batteries in the Dodge diesel last winter, one battery was doa the other had some good left in it but ya got ta have both of em to crank that diesel,  the diesel generator, I change every 2 years, keep the old battery for the diesel loader,  i can put a charger on it and make it last another year or so.  The 2 diesel tractors have 1 battery apiece but they still have the original in them.  the Toyota still new.  I try to keep at least 1 extra battery for the loader, it's old and sometimes it drains the battery between uses, try to keep a charger on it when it sits. 
got a set of Jumper cables though that will jump anything if you got a battery,  1/0  cable with the good brass ends, 30 feet long.  had to jump the generator once, in the winter, it was just barley above zero,  I got a tractor started  hooked up the cables and let it charge for a few minutes and hit the starter, cranked right up.  made that $100  for the cables seem cheap.  ;D  sure wouldn't take for em. 
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2008, 04:14:05 PM »
OT, Always bee prepared, especially in winter time.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Lightnin Rick

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2008, 02:46:50 PM »
for a minute there I thought there was a glich here on this web page "camping" and mixed with classic cars.
Well anyways.
I save plastic tea or juice bottles and fill them with water and freeze. Thats what I use as ice for coolers and as they thaw I use them for drinking or cooking ect.. And they dont get everything wet in the coolers.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2008, 02:58:30 PM »
Wait’ll ya catch a look it Leo’s nekkid wife……..
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2008, 05:16:43 PM »
for a minute there I thought there was a glich here on this web page "camping" and mixed with classic cars.
Well anyways.

Nuthin' not normal about that round here. ;D

I save plastic tea or juice bottles and fill them with water and freeze. Thats what I use as ice for coolers and as they thaw I use them for drinking or cooking ect.. And they dont get everything wet in the coolers.

I use nuthin' but dry ice in the cooler, a fiver will keep the groceries from Friday mornin' to late on Sunday most times, even in 100 degree heat, often have to dig stuff out ahead to unthaw.  Keep folks out though, don't keep openin' it and closin' it.  Sounds strange to some, but won't drink cold drinks on my weekend trips, coffee, water that is in the Igloo, with no ice and strong Gatorade made with the same water, GG taught me some of that, knew some already.  Cold drinks are OK for loungin' round, but when it's 90's plus and yer workin' round the fire and ovens it cools yer core and the body has to build up heat to warm it up. 

BTW, I got another dutch oven this weekend, 11 quart, total is now an even dozen. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2008, 05:23:40 PM »
Del,  that water can't be beat when your out in the hot weather,  nothing quenches your thirst better, ;D
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

Offline Scarlet Angel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »
Depending on what you do, classic cars can be a part of camping. The car clubs get togeather too :)

I also like to get bottled water and sports drinks, freeze them and use them to keep things cold. Then they are nice and cold when you are ready to drink them on day 2 or 3.

My friend has one of those back packs that holds liquid. She freezes one of the liquid pouches to use on our long rides.
"The Scarlet Angel, heaven and hell all rolled into one.... I’d hate to be the one on the hell side.” ~Patches McDuff

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."  Mark Twain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2008, 04:16:08 AM »
I don't drink enough water and I've been workin' on that to change old habits. I've gotta be outside and it's gotta be hot before I'll drink very much. I need to be near facilities before I drink too much water.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2008, 06:42:00 AM »
I use to use the W.C. Fields theory on drinking water.............Now water is on the list, very few sodas, I can't stand the taste of Gator Aide without Tequilla in it. Or I just drink Coffee...strong and Black
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2008, 06:46:35 AM »
That works for me, LR.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2008, 08:37:25 AM »
I'm always sure to pack plenny of Rocky Mountain Spring Water ;)

On the battery thing, the trick I learned long ago that didn't require fancy test equipment was to jump the car, get it runnin then pull one of the battery cables.  If it keeps runnin, ya don't have an alternator problem.  If she dies right away you do.  These days I just use a basic multimeter ta do that stuff, but the shade tree way always worked in a pinch.

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2008, 08:44:52 AM »
   Now Leo that's an old trick and it works, but how does a mechanic make enough money to pay for that garage sized Snap-on Tool box when all he needs is a small cresent wrench?

Bigger the box the more they charge
Mathew 5.9

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2008, 08:47:31 AM »
Very true, very true.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2008, 09:08:09 AM »
Yer an ole cop, Tex. When I started I didn’t drink coffee. ‘Fore I made probation I was walkin’ ‘round with a cup like e’erbody else. ‘Fore I left they was walkin’ ‘round with bottles of water. I do too these days in the daytime after coffee.

Read articles ‘bout the crash from sports drinks. Never bothered me ‘til one real hot day it Black Creek, Finished up ‘n grabbed a bottle of Propel ‘bout the third of the day. Opened it while I was talkin’ ta Sod Buster in the parkin’ lot. Took a big ole gulp ‘n thought I was gonna pass out, throw up or both. Went for water real quick. Truck was runnin’ with the A/C on. I got in ‘n left. Felt like it never happened by the time I got home. Don’t use sports drinks no more.

Yanno, don’t think I ever explained my fast departure that day. SB, ya didn’t stink er nuttin’. Just that I got sick in a hurry. Bein’ rude weren’t intended.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2008, 09:34:21 AM »
I'm leary of sports drinks too, but the real joke these days are those energy drinks.
     First off they sold em in little bitty cans, now they come in cans the size of grain silos.  They give em "cool" names like Rockstar and Monster.  The kids out here love em.  All a sudden the school folks are wonderin why the kids are destractive an unattentive in class.  Call it ADHD.  No moron, it's all that caffine an ginkowhatever flooding itno there developin bodies.  I'll stick with the coffee, no sugar an a little half 'n' half.

Leo

Roland Deschain

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2008, 10:01:31 AM »
When Andi was werkin’ it Curves she was on ‘n off the machines all day. Didn’t take her long at all ta drop the sports drinks ‘n go to water. Said it made ‘er feel weak. 

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2008, 02:16:55 PM »
Arcey, I smoked about 2 or 3 packs a day back then on top of the black coffee. The first 10 years or so I was a cop, I didn't know any other shift but nights.  Cigarettes and black coffee got me throught the night along with catchin' an occasional burglar or an occupied stolen car.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com