Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Cutting Edge

Big Bowie

(1/2) > >>

Abilene:
I bought this knife at a gunshow 20 years ago.  It is from Pakistan and cost me $13.  Blade is 10" .  Came with a cheapo sheath, of course.  The bone handle was very pink, but soaking in vinegar helped fade it.  Most of the Pakistani knives look more or less modern/fantasy stuff, but this one had the look.  Some years later I was in Mike Harvey's office at Cimarron and noticed a cased antique knife EXACTLY like this!  Except it had ivory handle scales and of course wasn't stainless  :) .  I am not a leather worker but had intended to make a sheath for this for a long time, but I finally handed the knife to my friend Drew from Lone Star Leather to make me a sheath so I can start wearing it.  He also was able to polish off the markings from the blade which definitely helps the look.  The cheap blade isn't for using, it's for looking good.  :)

Major 2:
nice job on the scabbard, Atlanta Cutlery use to offer that or a similar knife 'course'  no were near a $13, good deal  ;)

Buckaroo Lou:
Some Pakistani knives have improved over the years. About a year ago I saw one I really liked and bought it. I have made a few knives in the past from blank billets so when I saw this knife I didn't care for the hand guard so I reground it to my liking. I don't care for the two fancy handle scale pins either but there is nothing I can do about them. I also made the scabbard as the one that came with the knife was not to my liking. I don't know the Rockwell hardness of this knife either but it is quite sharp for a big Bowie. I love the feathered Damascus pattern of the blade.

Advertising:

Professor Marvel:

--- Quote from: Buckaroo Lou on January 12, 2022, 10:40:16 AM ---I don't know the Rockwell hardness of this knife either but it is quite sharp for a big Bowie. I love the feathered Damascus pattern of the blade.

--- End quote ---

The pattern is quite stunning! and with "damascus" or pattern-weld, the RC hardness can vary depending which layer is measured.....
and what different kinds of steel are used....

beautiful knife!

yhs
prof mumbles

KenH:
Both of those knives look darn good to me.  I do think feather Damascus is my favorite pattern - I've not got the nerve to try it.... yet.  Maybe someday.  Ya'll both did good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version