Author Topic: Quarantine Reading  (Read 4142 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
Re: Quarantine Reading
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2020, 06:48:06 AM »
Well, I am definitely green.   Had to let most of the books my parents had go as neither me nor my sisters had that much space.   The youth center was new with a influx of Mexican families for the meat packing plant, so they had a need.   Miss some of those books though.   I bet that having the library feature is a big factor on staying.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2020, 01:52:19 PM »
Hi

I've started the Sacketts Series by Louie L'Amour and on Book #4.  Pioneer Public Library system he in Oklahoma has Kindle books to loan out.  One was a paperback and 2, 3, and 4 have been on the Kindle.  He's a good writer (duh).
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2020, 03:19:50 PM »
Now reading "Armies of the Dark Ages: 600 AD to 1066" by Ian Heath

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:24:56 AM »

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2021, 09:29:48 AM »
Hi
I read most of the Sackett Series, I have War Party and am reading the Saxon Series by Bernard Cornwell.  I got Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series off UTub a few years ago.  That's a decent series also.  The Saxon series is being shown as "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix and the match.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2021, 10:03:49 AM »
Hi
I read most of the Sackett Series, I have War Party and am reading the Saxon Series by Bernard Cornwell.  I got Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series off UTub a few years ago.  That's a decent series also.  The Saxon series is being shown as "The Last Kingdom" on Netflix and the match.

Later

One of my three most favorite BBC series, besides "Time Team" and "Detectorists"! I've watched it twice now, and will likely be in the mood again before too long.

Right now I'm re-watching the first season of "His Dark Materials" in preparation for diving into the second season. I had read the original trilogy and the first two volumes of the second trilogy.
(Still waiting for the second season of "Upload" to premier.)
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 632
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2021, 01:58:14 PM »
I've been reading John Boessenecker's Ride the Devil's Herd. I appreciate his writing as a historian. Even though the build-up to the events in the Tombstone area in 1881 and 1882 are pretty familiar, he summarizes them well and includes some new discoveries which add to the understanding. I'm not finished yet, but I can recommend this book.

Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 09:29:30 AM »
Hi
I have at most two more books in the Saxon Series.  I need to read Louis L'Amour's more famous stand alone novels like Hondo and Catlow etc.  I've read Terry Johnston's plainsman series a few years ago.  Those were great.  I haven't read much Zane Grey, maybe I'll start his way next.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 09:49:54 AM »
If you like the Saxon series (I tried to like the show, just too many hollyweird mistakes for my barbarian backside), read The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour.   It is stand alone because I understand he died before writing the trilogy he had planned.   It is kind of Marco Polo meets the Sackets  (at least to my memory, read it in the 80s.)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2021, 11:17:02 AM »
Just finished "The Captain and the Glory" by Dave Eggers.

It's an absurdist allegory of contemporary history.
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2021, 05:01:18 PM »
Hi
I'm reading Comanche by Max Brand.  Can't be assuming things.  Comanche is a ginormous puppy dog that's mostly wolf who is very attached to what's effectively a serial killer.  Great book so far.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2021, 12:13:30 PM »
Hi

I just finished a pair of Elmer Kenton books, Hot Iron and The Time It Never Rained.  both were very good, The Time is set in 1950 west Texas and everybody went broke, left town, and died.  A lot of pressure was put on the farmers to take Federal money, one old coot didn't and he was the one standing at the end.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Division of Oklahoma

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com