Author Topic: Quarantine Reading  (Read 4143 times)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
Quarantine Reading
« on: March 28, 2020, 06:32:31 PM »
I was looking for a little light reading to mix in with my regular history books. This one was right on target.  What do you read when you're stuck at home?

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Gus Walker

• Top Active Citizen
  • The sunny slopes of long ago.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Quarantine Reading
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 05:42:05 AM »
 ;D  Very fine choice my man. Anything by Louis is on my list, Love all the Sackett stories and the Kilkenny series.   
Aye its been quite a ride aint it?

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 06:28:37 PM »
I've always got a list of books I want to find time to read.  This time around, I blew $20 on 20 of Amazon's 99 cent copies of bios, "just in case".  Should  be enough reading there to keep me busy for a while. 

BTW, some of those books are an outright steal.  I paid $300 for my first copy of Chittenden's history of the fur trade back in high school.  When it was finally re-printed, I snagged the reprints for about $40 and sold the first editions for about what I paid for them 20 years earlier.  I just bought "back-up copies" for the Kindle: $.99 each. 

The Kindle offerings aren't perfect (I still prefer the feel of a book in my hands), but they do allow be to access references I couldn't otherwise locate or afford (or in the case of peripheral interests like the settlement of TX, justify).  Now if someone would just "Kindle-ize" Hafen's work. . . .

In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:47:38 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 07:03:45 PM »
I have a lot of books on my "to read" shelf too.  ;)

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 11:44:47 AM »
Started re-reading my entire collection of W.E.B.Griffin novels, 'Hell' I Was There' by Elmer Keith, and watching Foyles War in the evening.
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline Marshal Halloway

• Editor & Webmaster of Cas City.
  • City Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Don't squat with your spurs on. Have fun shootin'.
    • Cas City
  • SASS #: R3411
  • NCOWS #: HL-179
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 09:57:14 PM »

Just started on "Frontier Regulars".
Editor & Webmaster of CAScity.com
Director - Digital Video Division - Outdoor Sportsman Group (OSG).
Digital Video Production & Post Production OSG
Owner of Down Range Media GP

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 06:28:17 PM »
I should mention that Utley is one of my favorite authors; I'll read anything that he has written. I had a brief correspondence with him last year and he signed his name "Bob". I figure that now I'm entitled to call him Bob like we're pals. I felt that "Frontier Regulars" was insightful and balanced. I think that you'll appreciate it.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 05:34:51 PM »
"Badge and Buckshot: Lawlessness in Old California" Lawmen and bandits in California 1850 to 1899ish.  Because of the Gold Rush, by 1860 California was VERY cosmopolitan.  Long before the gunfight at the OK Corral in 1881, California was not a frontier by any stretch of the imagination.

https://www.amazon.com/Badge-Buckshot-Lawlessness-Old-California/dp/0806125101
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 08:13:44 PM »
I haven't read that one yet, but Boessenecker is rapidly becoming one of my favorite authors. I appreciate his attention to detail and documentation. I also like to read about law enforcement in the old west, which he covers.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 254
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 09:27:53 AM »
Here are a couple of slide shows from my motorcycle trips to look at when you get a spare moment.

https://s278.photobucket.com/user/jvsaffran/slideshow/Little%20Big%20Horn%20Battlefield?sort=3   This is the Little Bighorn Battlefield in Montana. The site of Custer's Last Stand

https://s278.photobucket.com/user/jvsaffran/slideshow/Buffalo%20Bill%20Museum%20Cody%20WY?sort=2    This is the Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody, Wyoming.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 09:53:09 AM »
I am reading the entire "His Dark Materials" series of books.
Also, "Life on a Medieval Barony", and "Ships and Narrow Gauge Rails: The Story of The Pacific Coast Company".

I've done more reading in the last month than the previous 12 months combined.

Fortunately my brain still seems to be able to soak up information. Unfortunately, like a sodden sponge, it continually drip .. drip .. drips the unused excess.

Stay safe, stay healthy, and wash your hands.
RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 08:09:01 PM »
I started a new one...

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 09:50:44 PM »
I started a new book. I'm a little over half way through and I'm finding this book to be well written and interesting. I recommend it.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 08:50:32 AM »
I am on Volume 3 of The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour.  Oldies but goodies.
Scouts Out!

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 09:35:12 AM »
I am on Volume 3 of The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour.  Oldies but goodies.

For some years, I have had one book in that series (but only the western stories) on the shelf next to the couch.
It took a while, but I found all of the books in that set. Whenever I'm feeling deprived, I can read one of his stories.
I'm on my second or third time through the series.  They are a lot of fun.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline ccarley

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2020, 05:33:17 PM »
Excellent thread!  I need some more books.

My favorite so far has been Billy Dixon & Adobe Walls.  I've read it a few times but it's a great story.

I also have "Mountain Man" by Vardis Fisher.  It's a bit extra detailed for me and feels more like a romance novel at times.  My Amazon cart has "Champion Buffalo Hunter: The Frontier Memoirs of Yellowstone Vic Smith" which seems interesting, and "Crow Killer, the saga of Liver Eating Johnson" on the way.  I'll be checking out some Louis Lamour for sure; I recall my dad would read him when I was a kid. 

Clay

Offline ccarley

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2020, 09:29:10 AM »
I Finished "Crow Killer" last night. 

It's not a long book, and the chapters are sometimes very short but it's a good read.  I'm glad that I got it.  I'm sure there's a lot of accurate descriptions of happenings in the book, as well as some embellishment on certain events but I won't complain about it at all.  Certain portions have references for accuracy. 

I don't want to give anything away, but if you are a fan of the movie "Jeremiah Johnson" you will enjoy this book, and it will give you added detail to many of the characters.  The movie does not follow the book exactly, but there were some "Ah Ha!" moments in the book for me that explain a bit more of what happens in the movie.

Next up is the book about Vic Smith.  Much longer book, however just starting it there was a mention in the text of a connection between Vic Smith and John Johnson. 

Clay

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 04:37:47 PM »
I keep meaning to read Crow Killer.  Believe it or not, my elderly mother first recommend it to me. I'll push it higher on my too read list. Thanks!

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2020, 06:40:49 PM »
Griff, is that you house?  Colour me green with envy if so.   My folks' house was that way.  When they passed, we donated more than 10,000 books to a youth center.   

I am reading The Kingdom of Nauvoo by Benjamin Park.  Grew up near there and we would camp at a park nearby.   Later when I was a freshman in highschool I got the chance to take some summer college courses one I took was Utopian Communities of the 19th Century.   We did a day trip to Nauvoo for it, I had to ride with the professor as I was the only one who could not drive, I was a weird kid.  At least I also took a BASIC programming course, it made the twitch in my dad's eye slow when he saw the Utopian Communities enrollment.   I stayed with programming all through highshool, first a sinclair from the back of Popular Mechanics, to a Commodore, then a TRS80.   Ah, the early days, had I stayed would have ended up in silcon valley with my other highschool nerd chums.   Glad to be a chemist in the midwest.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2020, 09:17:25 PM »
Yes, that's our house. We were running out of room for our books and had a library added to the house about 15 years ago. We love it. In fact, on those occasions when we've considered moving, we've ended up rejecting the idea because of that library. Wherever we might move, we'd need to add another library!

I might add that the pictures don't really capture it, but there is an upstairs with just as many bookcases, but they are only half filled. So far.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com