Author Topic: RIP Charles Portis  (Read 1712 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
RIP Charles Portis
« on: February 17, 2020, 10:01:18 PM »
Sad news of the passing of Charles Portis, author of "True Grit" and other notable works, at the age of 86.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 632
Re: RIP Charles Portis
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 10:23:03 PM »
Wow. Thanks for pointing that out. True Grit is one of my absolute favorite books. It is one of the few books that I have finished reading, then turned back to the beginning and immediately started over. I also love the audio version read by Donna Tartt. I've listened to it over and over. I like the movies, but the book is so much better. Portis did a remarkable job.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 11:42:57 PM »
I admit to not having read the book.  just the movies.  Loved them both but IMO that was John Wayne's best work.  Most of his westerns had him playing John Wayne, but not that one. 

Never thought about an audio version.  I drive a lot, should get it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:52:58 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 632
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 09:35:30 AM »
The book is relatively short and totally fun to read. It is written as if Mattie Ross wrote it, so you get a lot more depth to her personality. She goes off on rabbit trails, moralising on various subjects and never once considering that she could be wrong. The story line is great, but the way that it is told is great too and the movies can't capture that part.

Included in the audio book read by Donna Tartt (herself a Pulitzer Prize winning novelist) is an essay that she wrote and reads. She has loved the book for years, which helps her read it so well. Also, being from the south, her natural accent is totally appropriate. I have a long commute for work and I've listened to many hundreds of audio books. I generally get them from the library, but I've decided to buy maybe three because they are so good. This is one.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 11:57:11 AM »
"A good man to ride the river with."
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2021, 02:46:00 PM »
The audio version by Donna Tartt is tremendous. In narrator interview she tells of her Mother reading True Grit to her many times as a young girl. Reading or listening to the story as told by Mattie is a totally different experience vs. the Wayne movie.
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com