Author Topic: Appaloosa Movie vs. Book  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
Appaloosa Movie vs. Book
« on: November 14, 2019, 07:36:37 PM »
I am a huge fan of the Virgil Cole and evert Hitch books.  Anyone know how the Movie Appaloosa compares? I haven't watched it yet, and won't if it sucks!
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Appaloosa Movie vs. Book
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 12:00:31 AM »
I bought the DVD, watched the movie, gave it away.  Bought the first book . . . then bought a spare copy in case the first gets loaned out and lost. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 06:03:20 AM »
I am a huge fan of the Virgil Cole and evert Hitch books.  Anyone know how the Movie Appaloosa compares? I haven't watched it yet, and won't if it sucks!

I liked the movie, but it lacks the depth of the book, as adaptions tend to do. I think Viggo Mortensen did fantastic as Everett Hitch. I think the rest of the cast did well, but I didn't care for Renee Zellweger. I can't speak to the authenticity of the wardrobe but it looks good to me, same with the sets. I definitely think the movie's armorer did a solid job - guns aren't just chosen based off of looks; Everett carries an Open Top to accompany his 1866 Yellowboy (when he's not carrying the impressive looking 8 gauge mockup). Music was good. I liked it enough that I'm disappointed we didn't get more films in the series.

Having said that, the books are undeniably better. It's not a contest between the two.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:59:04 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 09:05:19 AM »

I really liked the Movie.  And agree the props folks did a bang up job getting the guns right.  I haven't read the books so I can't do a valid compare0.  No help there.

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 12:13:39 PM »
Huge fan of the film, and the commentary was informative as well. But, it never mentioned the series of books.

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2019, 07:38:23 PM »
There is a series of 8 or 9.  I have read all but the last "Buckskin". Parker wrote and published the first four or five while he was alive, then a couple he wrote but had not published were edited and published after his death.  The last few I think were ghost written base on his outlines or partially finished.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 07:04:11 AM »
The first four written by Parker are very enjoyable and are well worth reading (the odd mention of .45 Colt Winchesters aside). The audio books read by Titus Welliver are great. My wife and I have listened to them on many many long drives.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1174
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 03:29:29 PM »
Book?  What's a book?  Oh yeah, now I remember, I once saw a movie about a book.   :D

Saw the movie once back when it came out.  Don't recall too much but I enjoyed it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com