Author Topic: Did they ever make a follow on from "Quigley Down Under"  (Read 33440 times)

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Did they ever make a follow on from "Quigley Down Under"
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 08:13:55 PM »
It is difficult to calculate time lag between bullet impact to the arrival of the report of the shot. At sea level, sound travels at approximately 1100 fps, slower at higher altitude. A bullet travelling at 1250 fps, which of course is not constant due to velocity drop, out to a range of say 900 yards or 2700 feet, will reach the target in roughly 3.5 to 4 seconds. The sound, which does slow down also, yes, because of difference in air density, wind and temperature and the fact that the force of the vibration is degrading due to friction too, will still arrive after the bullet strike. Why? Because the bullet is supersonic as it leaves the muzzle and the report, the sound of the powder detonation is a millisecond behind the bullet exiting the muzzle, loses ground to the departing bullet until the bullet decellerates to subsonic velocity. Even then, it still has to catch up to the bullet then, pass it.
  Just for chuckles, I once took a tape recorder with a microphone by a metal plate at 100 yards and shot the plate with a .22 the time lag was impressive.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 10:54:45 PM »
It is difficult to calculate time lag between bullet impact to the arrival of the report of the shot. At sea level, sound travels at approximately 1100 fps, slower at higher altitude. A bullet travelling at 1250 fps, which of course is not constant due to velocity drop, out to a range of say 900 yards or 2700 feet, will reach the target in roughly 3.5 to 4 seconds. The sound, which does slow down also, yes, because of difference in air density, wind and temperature and the fact that the force of the vibration is degrading due to friction too, will still arrive after the bullet strike. Why? Because the bullet is supersonic as it leaves the muzzle and the report, the sound of the powder detonation is a millisecond behind the bullet exiting the muzzle, loses ground to the departing bullet until the bullet decellerates to subsonic velocity. Even then, it still has to catch up to the bullet then, pass it.
  Just for chuckles, I once took a tape recorder with a microphone by a metal plate at 100 yards and shot the plate with a .22 the time lag was impressive.

Now that's good homework. ;)
A work in progress.

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »
Now that's good homework. ;)
The thing is, I've kinda been on the receiving end of a shot like that. I was walking my property one day when I heard a loud smack on a tree above my head. I had just enough time to say "what tha..." then I heard a shot, rather muffled and distant. Suffice to say, I got up close and personal with Mother Earth for a few seconds. Then I heard the echos, which were actually a bit louder than the initial shot. Later that day, I went to a nearby general store of sorts and made a comment about some idiot out shooting up the country side. Turns out the idiot was a friend's brother who said he was shooting at a crow on a powerline with a Ruger .44 Mag. carbine." Dumb, yes. He was in his front yard, which I could see from the spot the bullet hit. It was roughly 1/2 mile away. As I reflected on it, I realized that I had actually heard the bullet coming an instant before the impact. A loud buzz/hum. The bullet was very subsonic by this time and quite possibly keyholing. For all I know, the slug probably bounced off of the old pine tree, but I never found it. Yes, I looked! there was bark knocked off of the tree but I couldn't see a hole. To sum it up, the time between the impact and me hearing the shot was roughly 1.5 to 2 seconds by my estimation. I could be off of course, but the fact remains, there was a considerable lag between bullet strike and the arrival of the report.
The first step of becoming a good shooter is knowing which end the bullet comes out of and being on the other end.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:47:53 PM »

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 10:28:35 PM »
The thing is, I've kinda been on the receiving end of a shot like that. I was walking my property one day when I heard a loud smack on a tree above my head. I had just enough time to say "what tha..." then I heard a shot, rather muffled and distant. Suffice to say, I got up close and personal with Mother Earth for a few seconds. Then I heard the echos, which were actually a bit louder than the initial shot. Later that day, I went to a nearby general store of sorts and made a comment about some idiot out shooting up the country side. Turns out the idiot was a friend's brother who said he was shooting at a crow on a powerline with a Ruger .44 Mag. carbine." Dumb, yes. He was in his front yard, which I could see from the spot the bullet hit. It was roughly 1/2 mile away. As I reflected on it, I realized that I had actually heard the bullet coming an instant before the impact. A loud buzz/hum. The bullet was very subsonic by this time and quite possibly keyholing. For all I know, the slug probably bounced off of the old pine tree, but I never found it. Yes, I looked! there was bark knocked off of the tree but I couldn't see a hole. To sum it up, the time between the impact and me hearing the shot was roughly 1.5 to 2 seconds by my estimation. I could be off of course, but the fact remains, there was a considerable lag between bullet strike and the arrival of the report.
I hope that the crow shooter realizes that he could wind up eating crow if he hits somebody other than the intended target.
A work in progress.

Offline FEATHERS

• 2Feathers
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »
Matthew & Cora,I think they get off the ship in Hawaii,go on to have a family & one of their childrens decendents goes on to be a famous Hawaiian Private Investigator. 8) 8) 8)

Offline Short Knife Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 08:57:24 PM »
Now the story comes full circle ;D.  Then Higgins is obviously Elliot Marsden's cousin's (on his mother's side) great-great grandson!  I totally see the family resemblance now that you mention it.  ;) 

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 01:00:41 AM »
Feathers,

Touche'

But what you say could have been entirely possible...

In the islands, it was just the time for the paniolo (hawaiian for cowboy). Somebody with Quigley's skill set might have been more hireable in the islands than on the mainland.

And Honolulu could quite easily have been a resupply port on the way to the West Coast ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2010, 07:05:23 PM »
If we're going to have more Western Movies we have to get more people to go see'm. I saw True Grit on Christmas Eve with 8 other people. That don't pay the bills. BTW, my Son is not into Cowboy but liked True Grit so there is hope.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 254
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2022, 01:27:04 PM »
Just for the fun of it, several years ago, I wrote a short story entitled “It’s a Harley Son” about my experiences as a Harley rider. I followed that story up with a screen play. I then wrote a Western entitled “Stone’s Vengeance” along with a screen play.

I just stumbled on this post while searching on Google. Back around the end of 2020 after watching Quigley Down Under for the umpteenth time, I come up with an idea for a sequel to Quigley Down under. I wrote a screenplay for this sequel. I'm assuming that the movie has been copyrighted. I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to get this into to right hands. Recently I thought of getting permission to convert the screenplay into a novel. I see that the person who wrote Quigley Down Under has passed away, so I'll just keep searching for the correct way to proceed. I'm too old to wear stripes.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com