Author Topic: Ride with the Devil  (Read 7809 times)

Offline caps

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ride with the Devil
« on: August 09, 2011, 12:58:19 PM »
Just watched this on netflix and enjoyed it very much.  Firearms were correct, Henry rifles looked loaded. Clothing was correct.  Good show.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
Re: Ride with the Devil
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 01:26:25 PM »
Just watched this on netflix and enjoyed it very much.  Firearms were correct, Henry rifles looked loaded. Clothing was correct.  Good show.

Yes, is a good movie, although the brass-framed '63 Remington never existed. A nice authentic touch was the wearing of the Union belt plate upside down.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »

This has been one of my favorite movies for a long time now. They did a pretty good job (for hollyweird) and it has a good storyline as well.

One of my most well used DVDs in my collection.  :D
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:44:47 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 03:28:13 PM »
I know a goodly number of the Reenactors that lent their talents to that show...
Ang Lee was intentive to suggestions and even worked some in...
However, where the brass frame Remingtons were concerned, props bought these for the principals.
They were told they were incorrect on location , but props had spent the budget, and
could not or would not budget correcting it....
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 11:32:33 AM »
Yeah, prop guys don't always do the right thing. At least they weren't using Colt peacemakers and 92s like John Wayne always did when he was depicting a Civil War person. Not that I fault the Duke, but they didn't care much about authenticity back in the day.

At least they've gotten a lot better.  ;D
Rick.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 02:46:04 PM »
In "Red River" when the Duke & Walter Brennon first break off
Wayne has a OT Colt not sure if it's a conversion or C&B either way it's got to be an original.

Every show I did I tried my best to get PC hardware....
"Into The West" was about my last.... I bought over Doz. each of Uberti 51's & 60's
along with other long guns too (both Flint & cap lock some were originals , others distressed some )
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 06:28:04 PM »
The film was based on Daniel Woodrell's novel "Woe to Live On." It's a great read if you can find it. It was reissued with the title "Ride With the Devil" when the film was released. Woodrell has been called "the hillbilly Shakespeare." Another of his books was filmed recently as "Winter's Bone." The Missouri Ozarks form the setting for much of his work.
I loved the use of 19th century language in the film. One character, asked why he is sprucing up his beard and moustache, says: "I go to call upon a young lady who finds my attentions, if I do not flatter myself unduly, not unwelcome."
I guess only a foreign director like Ang Lee would dare to make a movie that depicts Missouri Bushwhackers sympathetic.

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 08:14:22 PM »
Us bushwackers are sympathetic! ;D
One of my favorites, lots of Kansas City folk in the back drop. 

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 08:49:27 PM »
In my opinion, there was really no right or wrong side in the Civil War. Both sides had their heros and villians and both sides did things they should not be proud of. Also, many misinformed people don't even know the reason the war was fought in the first place. They just believe the PC reason and it is not the main reason. It is terrible there is so much ignorance about a war that was so important in our history.

I always believe the addage, those who ignore the mistakes of history are condemned to repeat them.
Rick.

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 10:58:23 PM »
In my opinion, there was really no right or wrong side in the Civil War. Both sides had their heros and villians and both sides did things they should not be proud of. Also, many misinformed people don't even know the reason the war was fought in the first place. They just believe the PC reason and it is not the main reason. It is terrible there is so much ignorance about a war that was so important in our history.

I always believe the addage, those who ignore the mistakes of history are condemned to repeat them.

Agreed.
A work in progress.

Offline Highlander999

• Top Active Citizen
  • We don't rent pigs.
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 08:46:57 AM »
I really enjoyed the movie.  It appeared pretty accurate, and showed lots of the "Racial/Ethnic" Discriminations on both sides. 

The Dutchies (as the Deutch were referred to in the movie) were not liked by the locals and harrassed beyond belief.  Before you can comment on the "sympathy to the Bushwhackers".  The RedLegs were not free of their guilt in the meanness that went on either.  All sides were equal in my opinion as to their mean acts.  The Border war wasn't really a war but more just plain hatred between different peoples.

I do believe the movie did help people understand some of the underpinnings of the feelings on both sides.
“I have, in my day, thieved cattle, your lordship. But none that were under my watch” (“Is that what passes for honor with a MacGregor”, Earl of Montrose), “What passes for honor with me, is likely not the same as with your Lordship, when my word is given, it is good”
                     (Rob Roy)

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 12:11:15 PM »
I agree. When the Dutchie Jake (a pre-Spiderman Tobey Maguire) risks his own safety to persuade his Bushwhacker companions to spare his Redleg childhood friend and they grudgingly accede, the Redleg goes home and immediately murders Jake's father. It was that mean on the Kansas-Missouri border.

Offline Hess Coakley

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 12:53:45 PM »
Excellent movie. As to realism, I expect it in the newer movies however, I can allow it to side a bit in older movies.

Offline Rawhidesmith

• Citizen
  • I'd like the chance to shoot at an educated man.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 09:17:30 AM »
One of my favorite movies! Really loved the music. It set the mood.

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 05:13:50 PM »
Hi
I bought the DVD a year or so ago and finally watched it over Xmas.  That was a damn fine movie and well done.  Those were crazy times and I think that they got worse during "Reconstruction".  The quotes are because from I could tell there wasn't much reconstructing going on except for do it yourself.

Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2021, 08:51:58 AM »
Yes, is a good movie, although the brass-framed '63 Remington never existed. A nice authentic touch was the wearing of the Union belt plate upside down.

RCJ

....not to pick but would like to know the reference to wearing US buckles upside down. I know when I got involved in reenacting the CW in the early 90's. I was told this was "what Rebels did". I have no doubt it was done. In all the books I've read have never seen reference to it. I often wonder if it became a reenactorism because of reverse images in photographs? In that light, I do know that  there are references to Confederate commanders frowning on the wearing of Union clothing. The war in the Trans Mississippi was a different animal. Union supply trains were sometimes the western Confederacies best resource. In the conflict between Missouri and Kansas even more so.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2021, 10:48:06 AM »
If you google Rebels wearing Union belt plates upside down there are numerous tintypes of such.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/confederate-soldier-upside-down-union-1634721135

And a reverse image would not have turned the "US" upside down. It would be an upright backward "S" followed by an upright backward "U".

RCJ

(Upon closer inspection of enlarged image of the above example, the belt plate is not upside down, just reversed as in a typical tintype.)
Here's an actual example:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/civil-war-cased-image-confederate-474825383
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2021, 05:41:03 PM »
If you google Rebels wearing Union belt plates upside down there are numerous tintypes of such.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/confederate-soldier-upside-down-union-1634721135

And a reverse image would not have turned the "US" upside down. It would be an upright backward "S" followed by an upright backward "U".

RCJ

....alright, I will admit to having seen the photos. Just didn't give them much thought. Guess I always looked at belts as tools. Just didn't think the common Confederate would've cared that much. Same as captured clothing from a supply train. I imagine the truth of all this was even stranger.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com