Author Topic: What's your favorite Western?  (Read 333661 times)

Offline Laredo_Crockett

• Citizen
    • Rocky Top Tennessee
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's your favorite Western?
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2005, 07:17:23 PM »
Forgot to mention the Ox Bow Incident with Henery Fonda ;D

Offline Bushwack Bill

• Captain, U.S. Scouts
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2005, 08:26:36 AM »
"She Wore a Yellow Ribbon", "The Horse Soldiers", "The Buffalo Soldiers", "The Rough Riders", "Fort Apachee", "Big Jake", "Crossfire Trail", "Geronimo".
Old Soldiers never die, we fall back to hell to regroup and sell out to the highest bidder

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2005, 07:40:39 PM »
So many like all of you have said. 

Overall winner Tombstone with the Wild Bunch a close second

My favorite Clint Eastwood movie Unforgiven

My favorite John Wayne movie Big Jake

My favorite Randolph Scott movie Ride the High Country

My favorite Jimmy Stewart western is Winchester 73

My favorite Henry Fonda western is a toss up between Warlock and Once apon a time in the west

My favorite Tom Selleck western is The Shadow Riders
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 09:06:52 PM »

Offline Brigid Tanner

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2005, 09:59:56 PM »
I'm a little late to this party, sorry! Any John Wayne movie, but especially The Cowboys. Maybe cause the first time I saw it  (when it came out) I was the age of the boys in the movie. Also love The Shootist, but I cry every time I watch it.  Several people mentioned Shane as one of their favorites...but I hated the movie. I absolutely loved the book and had read it many times before I got to see the movie, back in the days before video tapes, and was so disappointed when I sat up late one night to watch it. I like Alan Ladd in other movies, but he was blond and I'd always seen Shane as dark haired, like the cover of the paperback I wore out...with a price of 45 cents on it...got it from a neighbor who knew I loved westerns  :)

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2006, 09:20:15 PM »
Well the list is too long to write here.
But any movie with John Wayne that includes his old B&W movies the ones when he was young
Any movie based on a Louis L'Amour book
Monte Walsh
Winchester '73
Outlaw Josey Wales
Clints spagetti westerns
Any movie with Tom Selleck or Sam Elliot or Jimmy Stewart

Good God I could go on for hours writing this list so I'll stop here.
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Capt, Woodrow F. Call

• Vice President of SWS Norway.
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Grenland Gunslingers
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2006, 05:33:30 AM »
There are so many good movies.

Tombstone.
Wyatt Earp
Quick and the dead
Silverado
Open Range

but my biggest favorites is Lonsome Dove, and Return To Lonesome Dove
B,R
Smokey lonesome.
SWS # 1014
Grenland Gunslingers # 0001
Cowboy Mounted Shooters Norway #005
'The Cowboys' Trail Riding Society of Telemark 2009. # 003
Member of The Chuckwagon society, Sweden.

Offline Travis Palmetto

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2006, 09:11:38 PM »
My favorites are:

Silverado
Magnificent Seven
Bad Girls
Young Guns
Wagons East
Blazing Saddles
Pale Rider
El Dorado

My favorite TV series is Young Riders.  Too bad they dont sell it on DVD :'(

Oddly enough, movie producers consider Once upon a time in Mexico and Desperado as "Westerns". ???

Offline law dawg

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2006, 09:27:34 PM »
I know it'll be considered heresy but I couldn't stand the duke's movies, Clint Eastwood and Tom Selleck have my votes.

Pale Rider
Outlaw Josie Wales
The Unforgiven
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Tombstone [Kilmer]
Lonesome Dove
Quigley
Magnificent Seven
Once Upon a Time
Winchester '73
Young Guns

Please let there be no lynchings!

Offline Wes Virginian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2006, 04:06:35 PM »
"Stagecoach" & "The Shootest" w/John Wayne
Unforgiven
Quigley Down Under
Lonesome Dove
and comedy
Rustler's Raphsody
Little Big Man w/Dustin Hoffman
Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2006, 07:49:14 PM »
"Stagecoach" & "The Shootest" w/John Wayne
Unforgiven
Quigley Down Under
Lonesome Dove
and comedy
Rustler's Raphsody
Little Big Man w/Dustin Hoffman

I just watched Rustler's Rhapsody for the first time this weekend and thought it was hilarious! ;D ;D
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Silent Joe

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2006, 01:01:10 PM »
My favorite Western Movie is "High Noon" with Cary Cooper. I've seen this movie in 1958 on TV and a couple of years back I've found it in a Music/Video shop. Next all the movies with Clint Eastwood, "Open Range"; Once Upon a Time and Texas Rangers.

Offline Blondetta

• that blonde gal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2006, 06:24:20 PM »
Mc Clintock is my number one favorite, the Shootist, Quigley, Tombstone, The Quick & The Dead, crossfire Trail, too many to list after my favorite one...
Miz Blondetta
Army vet, GAF #291, SASS #28760, NRA, GOA. Lady WartHog, RATS #102

Offline Rattler

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2006, 07:33:13 AM »
Movie: The Cowboys
Book: Log of a Cowboy by Andy Adams
           Great stuff............. :)

Offline Kid Gonzo

• Citizen
  • me and my Paso Fino / Spanish Mustang "Desi" !!!
    • Less Is More Horsemanship...NO Whips...NO Bits...NO Spurs!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2006, 07:47:19 PM »
my favorites?!!!!

THE COWBOYS - John Wayne...phenomenal movie....absolute classic...PERIOD...End of discussion on this one!!!! Dont even argue with me on this one or I will shoot your testicles off!!!And if you dont get misty eyed when John Wayne dies in this movie, then your powder is too wet and you should just stay home and watch 'Desperate Houswives' with your woman.

EL DORADO - John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, James Caan
This is a "remake" ( or sorts) of one of John Wayne's older movies "Rio Bravo"...this is just a great basic western

I always quote the entire poem from El Dorado. It is actually Edgar Allen Poe who wrote it...here is a piece of the poem that "Mississippi" (James Caan) recites...

"When at last his strength, failed him at length, he came across a pilgrim shadow
Shadow, said he...where could it be, this land called El Dorado?
Over the mountains and the moon
Down the valley of the shadow
Ride, Boley ride, the shade replied
In search of El Dorado"

BIG JAKE  if anything happens at all. Anything. My fault, your fault, nobody's fault, I'm gonna blow your head off."

OUTLAW JOSEY WALES Of course....if you didnt mention this movie, then you just plain suck at picking westerns! LOL

TOM HORN with Steve McQueen.....should be on everyone's list!!!!

SILVERADO - I know, I know...not authentic and campy but I love it anyway...love the sound of those Henry Rifles in the movie

QUICK AND THE DEAD - The original, NOT the piece of crap with Sharon Stone in it...Kate Capshaw is one CURVACEOUS woman in this movie....OMG!!!!

THE SACKETTS!!!! back in the days of the old HBO westerns...classic with the same bunch of actors who paried up for The Shaodw Riders.

THE LONG RIDERS!!!  A lot of you younger guys probably have never heard of this one....this should rate close to the very top....dont watch it on tv...rent the DVD and see the entire movie...

OPEN RANGE with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall

LONESOME DOVE  a classic as well......

MY NAME IS NOBODY Terrence Hill and Henry Fonda...jsut plain spaghetti western fun.

LAST TRAIN TO GUNHILL Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn

IN PURSUIT OF HONOR with Don Johnson...retelling of a true story of U.S. Cavalry who, after being replaced by the new mechanized infantry, are ordered to take 400 cavalry remounts down to Mexico where they will be slaughtered since they are no longer needed. Johnson and others decide to save the horse and drive the herd north to Canada with the mechanized infantry giving chase...HBO movie...not bad....love the story

MAGNIFICENT SEVEN the original...not the sequel and certainly not the tv series....

THE SEARCHERS

THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER

You know, a lot of the modern 'westerns' just dont cut it for me much...I DO appreciate Tom Selleck trying hard to stay with authentic period guns and clothing and making decent westerns. Monty Walsh remake was great. He is a good horseman.

I used to love all the Spaghetti westerns......

Of course, to tell the truth, any John Wayne movie....

Anyone remember "Gunfight"....or was it "Gunfighter" ...with Johnny Cash?

I do like the old "Support Your Local Sherrif / Gunfighter" movies....almost all of Henry Fonda movies.....I loved all the light humor classic westerns of my youth....

Hey, does "Dances With Wolves" count?! How about "Windwalker" and "Winterhawk"? "The Mountain Men" or "Jeremiah Johnson"....?

I love Dances With Wolves (although not a 'western').....since I am a Native Maerican history major and, at 43 years of age, have been learning the  Lakota dialect of the Sioux language.

When at last his strength, failed him at length, he came across a pilgrim shadow
Shadow, said he...where could it be, this land called El Dorado?
Over the mountains and the moon
Down the valley of the shadow
Ride, Boley ride, the shade replied
In search of El Dorado"

Offline Gaucho

• Citizen
  • You want a lot more than that from me, lady.
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2006, 07:34:58 PM »
Hombre with Paul Newman is one of my favorites. It's no great shakes as an epic western, but when it stands against the other run-of-the-mill western flicks of the day, it's a star. The budget isn't super, but the story is breathtaking and the acting, at times, superb, especially on Newman's part. The main thing you must remember with this one is to take a step back from mindless viewer to looking at how you could see real people act and talk in such a situation. The fact that the dialogue is often dry is a testimony to the fact that it was written with real people, not characters, in mind. The memorable lines are not so because of some pop-culture appeal, or because they sound neat, like "Do you feel lucky, punk?", but they are memorable because they are flat-out real. A highly recommended film.

Offline RowdyBill

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2006, 08:45:27 PM »
More and more, my favorite westerns are turning out to be classic John Wayne movies.  Love Rio Bravo and just watched the War Wagon again and really like that.  The difference between today's westerns and the Duke's films?  Today's westerns, many of them, seem to take a revisionist approach, capturing the West as dirty and perverted to some degree.  The Duke's westerns captured the "better times" of the West, drinking, sitting by a campfire, comaraderie, etc.  The real Old West must have been beautiful.

Offline tarheel mac

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Number 69437 WARTHOG!
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2006, 09:27:31 AM »
to me when you talk about John Wayne Westerns, then the best of them was his last, "The Shootist, with "The Cowboys" right behind..or maybe tied with it. 

Then "Lonesome Dove" followed by "Tombstone", Sellecks "Crossfire Trail"  "Quigley Down Under," and "Monte Walsh"

And the comedic Westerns, "Cat Ballou" "Support Your Local Sheriff" and one that hasn't been mentioned "The Villian" with Kirk Douglas, Ann-Margret (handing over her luggage in a low cut dress, leaning over them and purring..."Could you take a hold of these, please?") It's a real slapstick "Road Runner vs Coyote" type movie, but still pretty funny.

Offline Patriot49

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2006, 09:13:09 PM »
Let's get a sort of poll going here on your favorite Western.  I personally lean toward the comedy westerns. " How the West was Fun".  Among them are:  "Evil Roy Slade",  "Rustlers Rhapsody", "The Hallelujah Trail", "The Cheyenne Social Club", "Support Your Local Gunfighter", "Support your Local Sheriff"and "Waterhole #3".  I never saw a John Wayne movie I didn't like.  I have to be honest.  I didn't care all that much about the Clint Eastwood Speghetti Westerns.  They was somewhat close to reality, but they just didn't grab me like other Westerns have done.  Of course, the old Roy, Gene and Hoppy classics have always been favorites.  I grew up with those! 

So lets have it here!  What is/was your favorite Western?

A modern favorite of mine is  Tombstone starring Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, and Sam Elliott.  Enjoyed that thoroughly.

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2006, 11:30:46 AM »
See my list of "ten Favorite Western movies and you'll have my answer to this poll.
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline Patriot49

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2006, 05:42:15 PM »
I am wild about Tombstone.  As for others I like, the Magnificent Seven, John Wayne's later movies,
Pale Rider, and I also like the Sci Fi West World.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com