Author Topic: Upon reflection, a little splatter is a good thing  (Read 7347 times)

Big Hext Finnigan

Upon reflection, a little splatter is a good thing
« on: March 18, 2004, 11:07:00 AM »
Howdy pards,

As you read and listen at shoots, folks really hate the lead splatter.  And I don't care for a bunch of it..  But, I've been thinking.. (yes, dangerous, I know) but I don't want a splatter free match over and over again.

The splatter reminds us that the guns and ammo we are using are not just noise making props.  That they have been used with deadly effect in the past and need to be used with respect and responsibilty.

Just a flash from the brain.. Hope it doesn't blind y'all.  ;)
Adios,

Offline Doc Shapiro

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Handmade Pistol Grips
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Upon reflection, a little splatter is a good thing
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 11:08:43 AM »
That's an interesting thought.  I'd tend to agree with you.

Aside from that, it's part of the nature of shooting at close steel targets.  I don't think a splatter free shoot is even possible, tough it is possible to get close.

Doc

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 11:11:06 AM »
It is the nature of the game, yeppers.
And I'm not talking about accepting dangerous splatter or constantly being pelted by shotgun pellets.  I just mean the occasional "lead tickle" ain't all bad.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:50:58 PM »

Offline Shiloh Sharpie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 11:48:04 AM »
All the more reason it INSIST on adequate eye protection and not let any one shoot or observe without them.  We cannot be lax no matter how good a friend the person is or how insistently they argue, that is not properly protected.  I personally have seen too many pards that flirt with this danger.

My 2 cents
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS 10477 Life
-------------------------------------------------------
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

Offline Will Pluggum

• Mesa, Arizona
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 57339, NRA
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 03:09:21 PM »
I have not had my eye Doctor make me a pair of shooting glasses yet so I'm currently switching between reading glasses to shoot  and safety glasses to observe.   I'm uncomfortable with this cause in that 2 second span when I'm switching, my eyes are unprotected. A little splatter's ok, but constant eye protection is a must.   By the way, you'll never see an experienced Dove hunter in the field without a hat on.  Reason?  Pellets falling out of the sky.  It's a common and accepted part of the sport to get rained on by shotgun pellets.  No big deal.
N.R.A. ....the big posse' is keepin an eye on them bushwackers for us....JOIN UP!   www.nra.org

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 06:32:41 PM »
Amen, Pard, amen. Can never be too safe whether shooting or just watching.  Thanks for reminding us that we should ALWAYS be careful at all times.  At a shoot recently I was 'manning' the unloading table and a stray piece of splatter hit me on the back of the hand -- I was more than 25 yards away and BEHIND the 180 degree line. 
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Offline J.D.Cayhill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 08:31:14 PM »
My shooting glasses have saved me many times,never shoot without them. I had a good size chunk of a 45 slug hit me in the forehead last summer while spotting. After a little hopping and dancing I was just fine. Glad it didn't hit me in something that I really used! ;)
"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man."
SBSS #638
BOSS #44
STORM #142
RATS #89

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 10:04:10 AM »
Now I ain't talking about dangerous splatter.  And even if splatter almost NEVER happened, you need to wear appropiate safety gear.  And remember to tip your head down, using your hat brim as a shield when the shotgun goes off. 

Still, the splatter serves a useful purpose, I'm convinced.
Adios all,

Offline Calamity Jane

• Top Active Citizen
    • Calamity Jane's
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2004, 02:08:54 PM »
By that logic it's good ta have a car wreck from time ta time ta remind ya that driving is dangerous!  ::)

Rekkon, though, that we see nuff cases of stoopidity that some folks ferget a loaded gun is dangerous. Don't think gettin splattered is gonna help the dumb ones.... ;D

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 02:23:24 PM »
By that logic it's good ta have a car wreck from time ta time ta remind ya that driving is dangerous!  ::)

Maybe not a wreck, but I think those bumps in the yellow stripe between the lanes of traffic do a good job of reminding folks they are getting close to the edge.

I was spurred to make this post when I was reading about the "benefits" of the frangible bullets.  And it seemed like they were making the gun more of a toy than a tool.  So I spake...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com