Author Topic: 1895 Sling???  (Read 5554 times)

Offline Carr Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1895 Sling???
« on: November 23, 2011, 11:50:21 AM »
I just got a new 1895 Winchester in '06, anybody else using one for their regular deer rifle? I'm looking around trying to figure out how to mount a sling to to that would be halfway "period correct". I've seen a picture of an old mount that was dovetailed into the bottom of the barrel just forward to the forearm, and the  other mount in the bottom of the stock looked like an M1 garand or '03 springfield mount. I'm just curious if anyone else has their rifle with a sling on it or know of anyone that does to get other options. Would hate to be stuck with the modern screw in kind
Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 1895 Sling???
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 12:26:03 PM »
I have a browning 95 in .30-40 U. S. Krag.  I used the old Winchester "hook and eye" mounts.  The eyes are on the rifle itself.  One is conventionally mounted on the but, the other is on a barrel band 9 3/4" behind the muzzle.

The loop and hook are on the sling, which is a leather military style similar to the ones on the old M-1 Garand, even the same size..  It isn't 100% correct but I've seen a lot of pre-1900 slings that don't look a lot different.  Most people won't know the difference.

The hook and eye sets are sold by Dixie Gun Works and the barrel band came from a custom parts supplier.  The attachment point on he band had to be cut and shaped so the hook would fit properly.  The band was mounted by removing the front sigh and having a pro solder it to the barrel and remount the sights. 

The second eye screw is in the parts box.

Easy on, easy off, very secure, and gets a lot of comments for being different.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Carr Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 11:25:40 AM »
Thank you sir, I'll check out Dixie for the hardware first.
Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:40:23 PM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 11:54:32 AM »
DGW number XP0528 is for  pair of Hook-type sling swivels @ $39.99 for a pair.

SP0553 is for a single Hook-type sling swivel screw @ $4.50 each.

If you use the barrel bad (which is very cool and authentic to at least one original rifle I saw) you may have to do some searching.  I did the modifications my rifle in 1991 and don't remember who sold the barrel bands.  I'll look around and see if i can find out.

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 01:05:41 AM »
www.fireamssite.com/barrel_band.htm

(video showingTally Mfg band attached with epoxy.)

Brownell's sells 2 kinds (mine is the rounded type)

All are slightly tapere to fit the barrel and come in several sizes..

Offline Carr Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 04:47:21 PM »
Would you happen to know what the dovetail mounted kind are called? I'm just searching around now to see possible option. I like the hooks from DGW, I'm up in the air on the barrel band/dovetail

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 09:08:17 PM »
I've never seen a dove-tail mounted one, but see no reason it couldn't work just fine.If you could find any dove-tail mounted anything that had sufficient meat to form the "eye" it should be right down your alley...maybe a beefy front sight base.

I'll do some more research and see what I can turn up.

Offline Carr Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 10:59:04 AM »
Thank you, I was trying to find that picture I ran across to show you what I was talking about! I'll keep looking

Offline Carr Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 11:10:59 AM »
http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8328222       This isn't the one I originally saw, but it's getting closer. I think that the one I saw originally was on a "fine firearms" auction site, I think I was actually searching for lyman #21 sights and ran across it. Wish I would have bookmarked it...

Offline Carr Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 11:13:38 AM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 02:18:39 PM »
I notice the last set of pics show the hook-and-eye setup and the sling I mentioned.

Okay, another suggestion: find any dovetail base and cut the eye from a screw (like the eye on the rear mount) and silver solder it on...or drill the dovetail base and put the screw through and cut it off on the inside, then solder it for security.  If you're very careful (or have a pro do it) it will last forever and look like it grew there.

BTW, Montana Vintage Arms (?)  sells those receiver side mounted rear sights.  They require that a hole be drilled and tapped for the mounting screw.  They ain't cheap, but they aren't any worse than a number of other sights you could buy.

Offline Carr Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 09:20:19 PM »
I would like one of those sights, I'd read somewhere that Buffalo Arms had them, I just checked Montana Vintage Arms and couldn't find it  :-\  maybe I missed something. The search continues. Thank you sir for all the help I really appreciate it

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 10:36:01 AM »
Oops!  You're right, it is Buffalo Arms.  MVA has great stuff, but not those.  Sorry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com