Author Topic: 74 years since Normandy  (Read 5764 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: 74 years since Normandy
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 07:53:52 AM »
Didn't you have, like, a great uncle that was shot down in the Pacific and they just found him a couple of years ago or something?
2nd Lieutenant Alvin (Cal) Beethe was shot down and killed in his P-38 over Germany while dive bombing a railroad bridge near Duren, on November 26, 1944.  His remains were discovered several years ago and interred at Arlington.  He was probably the major inspiration for me wanting to go into the military from about age four on.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2018, 08:50:08 AM »
These are extremely interesting narratives of the service of the greatest generation.
I have read each one with fascination. These were IRON men, their accounts personalizes the history.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2018, 10:19:47 PM »
We were in Evansville IN last week at the NCOWS Nationals and I was reading some WWII history because of the anniversary, and the fact the Evansville is the home of one of the few remaining LSTs (LST 325 that participated in the Normandy invasion). Theodore Roosevelt's eldest son Brigadier General Theodore Roosevelt III,  stormed Utah beach with his men at 56 years old! He died of a heart attack weeks later in Germany. I think I read recently that Yogi Berra, the famous NY Yankees catcher also was at Normandy.   
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:04:56 AM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2018, 11:23:32 PM »
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 07:50:15 AM »
CCG said they watched "The Longest Day" every year.  About 15 years ago I was TDY in Germany and Romania.  We had a weekend off while waiting on a Monday morning meeting with DCG-M of 1AD.  One of our S-3 Major's and I drove from Wiesbadden to Normandy.  It is a LONG drive but worth it.  The observation bunker, the Germans in the movie were looking out and first say the invasion fleet is real and it is still there.  It is near Bayoune.  The bunker is the OP for 3 152 mm guns that were on the cliffs.  They guns have never been removed after they were knocked out.  These are the guns that could shoot up and down the beaches, an American destroyer engaged them.  The pock marks from the 5 guns are still visible.  The trip was very moving.  Please excuse the spelling of the towns.  I think every snowflake in America ought to be required to go spend time in the US cemetery at the top of Omaha Beach.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 08:10:28 AM »
Amen, Gettysburg too.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2018, 11:15:36 AM »
Good story, Joe. Two of my daughters got over there a few years ago, but I've not made it yet.  I do hope to get the chance.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2018, 03:12:38 PM »
Have been to Arlington, Gettysburg, US Cemetery in Luxenburg where GSP is buried and a few others.  I also visited some German war cemeteries.  I had the same type feelings looking at the graves of the German soldiers as I did the Americans. Somehow their being soldiers out weighed the evils of Hitler's Naziism.  Not sure if soldierhood would have held sway in a cemetery with a bunch of SS.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2018, 04:15:10 PM »
A worthy topic drift is the honorable mention of the final resting place of the fallen warriors.

I too have walked the sacred grounds of Arlington, Shiloh, Gettysburg, Antietam and so many more...
One of the most hallowed in my opinion is the Seminole Negro Indian Scout Cemetery @ Brackettville Texas.
I was in Bracketville filming "Alamo the Price of Freedom"

I visited it in 1985 and was shocked by its rundown condition. There are Four Medal of Honor Recipients there.
Their old wooden crosses were weathered and deteriorating.

Adam  Paine
Isaac  Payne
Pompey  Factor
John  Ward

Today there a Seminole Indian Scouts Cemetery Association, there proper stones on the 4 graves above and The graveyard is carefully tended. 

If in West Texas , I urge your to visit Ft. Clark Springs and the Seminole Indian Scouts Cemetery.

You might want to stay the night in the motel ( old original cavalry barracks ) and take dip in the HUGE fresh water spring pool !

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2018, 01:58:25 AM »
Looked up My uncle Leonard's obit and found this info:

"After joining the U.S. Air Force during World War II, he was transferred to the Eighth Air Force at Bradley Field and fought with the 56th Fighter Group in England, where he was promoted to Second Lieutenant."

Looked up the 56th and they did support the D Day landings in P47s
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com