Author Topic: Roasting Coffe Beans  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Wishbone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Roasting Coffe Beans
« on: October 09, 2006, 04:46:53 PM »
 ???  I was wondering if anyone had ever roasted thier own coffee beans in a Dutch Oven or cast iron skillit. About 8 or 9 years ago there was a fellow on a yahoo dutch oven site talking about doing it for him self. The sites gone now. Wishbone-ks

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Roasting Coffe Beans
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 05:12:43 PM »
I did some in a cast iron chicken fryer in the home oven one time, they were light beans I wanted dark for an essspprreessooo experimint. ;D  I just set the oven at 350 and stirred them every few minutes.  I did boil some hot water in the skillet first to get rid of some of the oils. 

Civil War folks and earlier period do it all the time over a fire, just don't scorch them and roast them as even as possible. 

BTW the essssppreessooo experimint was some what of a sucess, used Celebes beans, but can only get them light roasted.  I don't think my nephew and my brother-in-law got to sleep at all that night, heard about it from my sister-in-law. ;D

Celebes beans have the highest caffeine content of any coffee bean.  Celebes is an island in the East Indies.

It is a pain in the butt though, thank you to the Arbuckles Brothers and the other coffee roasters of the post-Cival War era. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Wishbone

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 07:52:40 PM »
As I remember it seemed like a lot of work roasting your own beans. Where do you buy that Arbuckle Coffee at?   Wishbone

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:24:24 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 09:21:22 PM »
I carry it at work, most Old West shops do. I can't remember the price but it's around $14-15 dollars a pound.   One thing, it was not the only roasted coffee sold, many larger grocery stores had them new fangled-coffee roasters.  It just didn't keep as well as Arbuckles.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 11:26:41 AM »
Wishbone,

I have roasted coffee beans over a camp fire in a sheet iron skillet.  Put your glove on and shake and stir the beens as they brown.  By holding the skillet you can better regulate the heat on the beans.  The sheet iron skillets are a lot lighter than cast iron and easire to use. 
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 06:45:35 PM »
I did this using an old fashioned popcorn popper, the kind with the turn crank on top.  Not sure when they came about, but it is an easy way to keep the beans going and retains heat less than the cast iron.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com