Author Topic: Got mine picked out!  (Read 7048 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Got mine picked out!
« on: February 22, 2012, 01:52:23 PM »
Guys, I finally have a Wild Bunch leather set for my two 1911s and it includes two holsters, one for each of my two pistols.  I had more problems coming up with a couple of good mag pouch designs than I had with the holsters.  When you figure in the inconsistencies of the leather thickness, the smaller dimensions of the pouches and how important a consistent fit is, wellll.

The stainless Gold Cup is in a holster with a sight track while my Colt WW1 Repro is in my preferred holster.  This more closely mimmicks the Slim Jim style of draw that I like.  I made three total of the left hand holster, due to the sight track, and only two of the small holsters, like the one on the right.  I really like both versions tremendously BUT alas, I still think that my first one was a really good design also, with a drop the was in between these two.

There are two good mag pouch models here and one was done in two depths, giving me three legal pouches.  The one in the center and the one on the right are the two variations of one pattern and the short version, far right, would be more suited to the 'high ride' holster because both require a belt no wider than 1 3/4".  This means I will need two belts of different widths to go with these.  At any rate this winds up this project until I decide to do them all with metal skeletons!  Let me know what you think and those ruff spots on the back are from using a #3 grade leather!

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
Re: Got mine picked out!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 02:56:58 PM »
Very nice Bob 8) Now, when are you gonna get up here and shoot a Wild Bunch match with us?? ??? Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 05:04:58 PM »
 :-[   Actually I have not shot in one down here yet.  I am still in need of a shotgun at the moment, mine is with a gunsmith waiting on parts.  Now that I hear a new boatload is on the way I should try and buy another one.  I have all ways heard SASS shooters claim the need of three '97s so as to have one ready on match day! 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:35:22 AM »

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 07:11:27 PM »
Nice work there Bob. :)

My next WB rig is going to be made without the individual pouches, which are kinda a PITA. ;D  Rules allow for only single or double pouches, no triple etc.  However, one is free to put as many single magazine holders or loops directly onto a belt as you can fit. Kinda like bullet loops on a gun belt.  This eliminates the shifting around of the separate pouches and the undesireable bulk they add to the setup. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 07:09:02 AM »
Grizzly, the singles I am currently making are also used as tandems attached to a slide style belt loop for use as doubles.  These patterns were actually posted over on the Leather Forum a long time back for anyone to use.  Not sure where the topic was but the problems associated with mag pouch space on the WB belt was being argued somewhere recently.  With six now being considered minimum by some of the serious contenders, it could be hard fer a skinny guy to find room for his holster and this doesnt even take in to consideration that some do like slides fer extra shotgun and rifle rounds.  At some point we may see those funky mag holders that sandwich them with the back to the belt, almost makes a guy thankful fer having a fifty inch 'waste' line! 

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:54:32 AM »
Grizzly, the singles I am currently making are also used as tandems attached to a slide style belt loop for use as doubles.  These patterns were actually posted over on the Leather Forum a long time back for anyone to use.  Not sure where the topic was but the problems associated with mag pouch space on the WB belt was being argued somewhere recently.  With six now being considered minimum by some of the serious contenders, it could be hard fer a skinny guy to find room for his holster and this doesnt even take in to consideration that some do like slides fer extra shotgun and rifle rounds.  At some point we may see those funky mag holders that sandwich them with the back to the belt, almost makes a guy thankful fer having a fifty inch 'waste' line! 

Exactly the reason I am going to eliminate the pouches and go with loops sewn onto the belt.  I have a 31 inch waist, and have a slide with 4 shotgun and two rifle reloads on my rig.  The extra bulk and space used by the pouches has to go!  I see 6 mags on the belt as an absolute requirement. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
GAF

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 10:09:12 AM »
Griz, I've got some surplus waist you can have.

AW

(p.s., sorry I didn't get a chance to visit with you at High Noon)

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »
No agenda. Just curious. Why are the pouches limited to two mags?
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 05:29:20 PM »
I am guessing it fits someones vision of traditional.  In truth, Griz is right with his opinion that singles should be able to save on critical belt room as well as actually follow the curvature of the waist line.  The down side is that usually makers charge a bit less for a double than they do for two singles.

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 11:20:14 AM »
Griz, I've got some surplus waist you can have.

AW

(p.s., sorry I didn't get a chance to visit with you at High Noon)

It was good shooting with you, August.  You guys did a heck of a good job with that WB match. :)  Thanks, for the offer on the waist! ;D
GAF

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 05:57:06 PM »
Re-reading through this I had a lightbulb moment. It IS legal to put as many mag loops on a belt  as you can? But you can use only one or two per pouch?
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 07:02:43 PM »
Re-reading through this I had a lightbulb moment. It IS legal to put as many mag loops on a belt  as you can? But you can use only one or two per pouch?

You got it! ;D
GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com