Author Topic: "SASS Legal boots"  (Read 30687 times)

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"SASS Legal boots"
« on: December 26, 2011, 12:56:03 AM »
I've seen that phrase used a number of times on various sites and a couple of the SASS handbooks. I've only been able to find a general definition, where do I find a specific one?
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
Re: "SASS Legal boots"
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 12:37:32 PM »
I've seen that phrase used a number of times on various sites and a couple of the SASS handbooks. I've only been able to find a general definition, where do I find a specific one?
There is no specific definition except for the two costume categories in SASS, B-Western and Classic Cowboy. For all other categories and WB there are only the outlawed items.
 WB Handbook page 24 Outlawed Items;
• All types of athletic shoes or combat boots no matter the material from which they are constructed.

The short answer is just about any type of leather boot or shoe is allowed. You can go bare foot, or wear moccasins, or work boots, cowboy boots, packers, shoes......etc....etc. I wear a pair of Redwing oxford shoes most of the time, or Roper Kilties. Most of us aren't getting any younger, wear what ever allows you to enjoy the game. Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 09:17:24 AM »
Jefro, with your thoughts in mind on wearing the boots that will allow comfort and safety, what looks right and can be had at reasonable cost.  As a poor boy and diabetic, I need to balance comfort, safety, cost and yes, I want something that looks close to right also.  This morning I asked about military leggins on the SASS Wild Bunch Forum and figure these would go a long ways to help hide deficiency's in boot tops.  Would those military style leggings wear low enough to hide the fact that someone were wearing lace up shoes, rather than actual boots?   To do this they would need to wear below the ankle at the bottom, folding over the top of the shoe. 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:35:19 AM »

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 10:31:41 AM »
Corcoran Brown Jump boots about $125.00 look a whole lot like 1905 marching shoe.
2 distinct differences Rubber sole vs leather on original
10 inch height vs 8 inch for original
With leggings no once can see the extra height.

Old Navy Boon Dockers available from Army Navy Store in Chicago for $50 will work, they are black vs brown but really no one cares.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 12:45:21 PM »
Jefro, with your thoughts in mind on wearing the boots that will allow comfort and safety, what looks right and can be had at reasonable cost.  As a poor boy and diabetic, I need to balance comfort, safety, cost and yes, I want something that looks close to right also.  This morning I asked about military leggins on the SASS Wild Bunch Forum and figure these would go a long ways to help hide deficiency's in boot tops.  Would those military style leggings wear low enough to hide the fact that someone were wearing lace up shoes, rather than actual boots?   To do this they would need to wear below the ankle at the bottom, folding over the top of the shoe. 
Howdy Bob, as you know I've had major back surgery with nerve damage in the left leg & foot. I find oxford shoes to be the most comfortable, especially my Red Wings. I would think the fabric leggings would cover enough to work with shoes, have thought about myself. When I do wear boots I wear the Roper Kiltie, they have the look of a boot but wear almost like an athletic shoe. Plus they are only ankle high which works great for me cause I don't lace the last two eyes, this gives my ankle free movment. They come in two colors Amber and Chocolate, give them a try, if they don't fit you can send them back. Good Luck :)
Roper Kiltie

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline Slim-Jim Davis

• Citizen
  • loved by most feard by all
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 09:50:08 PM »
Would thes vamp boots from sheplers be appropriate for SASS.   I know the colour is inappropriate. What if they were tan or black?
Better to die a hero than to live a coward

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 10:41:50 PM »
Would thes vamp boots from sheplers be appropriate for SASS.   I know the colour is inappropriate. What if they were tan or black?

Not a thing wrong with them.  I've seen every color of the rainbow on Cowboy's/Cowgirl's boots at SASS matches - The B Western crowd can get downright dazzling.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Slim-Jim Davis

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 09:38:01 AM »
I'm really concerned about being historically correct.   The color might change, but will the pattern be ok?

If you need some idea of my persona, Slim Jim-Davis was a renigade law man in the early 1880s.  Some called him a vigilante.

I've seen boots of similar styles on male model in the Uberti catalog but not in historical pictures. They resemble the crescent boots of the 1870s and 80s.   I need boots that are SASS and NCOWS compliant.

Below I have provided the pictures I mentioned above.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 06:37:28 PM »
Slim-Jim, there's several threads you can search in NCOWS and CAS Historical Society about more authentic boots. As you have already read here, the "Authenticity" standards for SASS aren't that high.

One place you could look is "the Fort Western Wear", they carry several different "old style" boots, but with more modern soles, insoles, etc.

Offline Slim-Jim Davis

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 07:04:26 PM »
good news prad the style of boots I found are called buckaroo boot and are historicly corect for late 1870s and 80s and were popular among the mexican voquario aka the buckaroo thoe the buckkaroo was more in califorian than texas or arkansaa teritory but I think will work for a starter NCOWS out fit and sould work exiclent for a SASS duds so if there are any rebuttles pleas search thes history of the bucckaroo and his boots on google and a line of information is at your desposal thoe the key hole toung is more 1890s coustom boots of the 70s and 80 have key holes but weren't asp popular due to price thanks pard for your help I have moved my qusetion to the CAS historical socity for further reasearch

Slim-Jim Davis
Here is an example of a semi aproprat buckaroo boot

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 12:31:07 PM »
You could wear these:

if you had these:

I have been gathering a couple patterns for these and plan to make 'em.
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com