Author Topic: Remington 1911R1  (Read 6570 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Remington 1911R1
« on: June 28, 2011, 11:21:10 PM »
I'm considering a Remington 1911R1 for the new game. Going back to my IPSC roots; this time in period dress.

Anyone got a 'hands on' opinion? I know it's made for Remington and seems to have all the bases covered.

I swapped a stock Colt Series '70 .45 for a S&W M29 4" and I don't regret it. The Colt had a trigger pull that was a tooth gritter and was loose as a goose.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Remington 1911R1
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:06:43 AM »
The one I handled at the emporium had a significant glitch in the mating of barrel to slide.

Also, I've read some dismal reports at ARFCOM.

Springfield customer service is the best I've ever experienced and, therefore, that's the gun I'd recommend.

Remington has lots of "issues" right now and reports of poor quality and service are everywhere on the web.

Approach the Remington with trepidation.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 01:30:18 PM »
Hmmm, that's interesting .....  You'd think that remington wouldn't hang their rep on an iffy gun at this time in their history.
I tried to open Remington's FAQ page on the 1911R1 and wasn't able to.
I have a pal who bought a Turkish-made 1911 (IAC?) and he's not unhappy with it. I have an aversion to the Norinco's as the Chinese seem to have no concept of hardening or quality control. But, I hear they are getting better.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:45:01 PM »

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 08:52:41 AM »
Springfield Armory.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 11:01:40 AM »
Even tho' it's not a true 1911, I think I'll go with the Remington. There isn't much difference in price, and the R1 has the basic allowed mods - lowered, dimpled ejection port, high viz sights, longer tang, better looking grips (double diamond).

The SASS/Cimmaron Philippine-made 1911 looks a little crude by comparison. It has a lowered ejection port, longer tang and shorter hammer than the original 1911. You pays you money - you takes you choice ....

It's just another gun, no matter, just like the Rugers and all the other investment cast/MIM/CNC toys we shoot and enjoy. What's 'Cowboy' about a new Vaquero? What's 'Cowboy' about slicked up/short stroke lever actions? What's 'Cowboy' about '97s made in China, 1911s made in Turkey, etc.?

I also arrive at the range in a Toyota Tacoma, not dismounting from am Appaloosa or buckboard. My shotshells are plastic as are the wads in same. I load on two Dillon progressives, etc.

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 01:24:05 PM »
Yep, it's your money. Good luck, and hope you don't have a customer service/warrenty issue with your new purchase.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 07:06:59 PM »
To mark "Dominion Day/Canada Day", I bought the Remington R1. I asked the clerk to had select one he'd like to own, one with a decent trigger pull out of the box. He and a couple of his workmates culled three and selected the best - no creep.

To further celebrate, my wife and I went to the range, she with her .44 '92 and pistols, me with my tricked out Series '70 Gold Cup. Had a ball doing the IPSC drills - single draw & fire, double taps, weak hand, etc.

Happy B'day, Canada!

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 12:34:03 PM »
I looked at three in the gun shop and all had the same amount of creep. I have run 100 rounds of hardball through mine, using three different magazines,  with no problems. Like most guns, it appears more accurate than I am. I wanted a 1911 from a US source, that was close to the original 1911, yet had good sights.The Remington filled the bill. I have since added a checkered arched MSH with lanyard loop. I'm not sure if the relieved ejection port disqualifies it from Wild Bunch.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 06:18:48 PM »
Old Doc

The WB 1911s being offered by SASS and Cimarron both have lowered (but not scalloped) ejection ports.

The 1911R1 seems to have all the necessary mods to make it a viable WB or street carry gun. I just learned that it also has a bevelled mag well.
Trgger creep is something easily remedied by a 'smith. I expect that I'll have a longer trigger installed, but if mine has a good pull, I'll learn to adapt - 'don't fix it if it ain't broke!'
If you slam home a mag with the hell of your hand on a gun with the lanyard loop, you may exercise your military vocabulary.
Learn to use your thumb to seat a mag.
As for straight or arched mainspring housings, you pays you money - you takes you choice. I have small hands and the straight feels 'right'. Switching from one to the other will definitely change the point of impact due to the variance in what Jeff Cooper used to call the 'angle of deflection'.
Grip the gun in a shooting position with your eyes closed. When you open them, you want to see the correct sight picture without adjustment. The arched MSH shoulds raise the front sight.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 08:35:13 PM »
Howdy Pards
I have a 1911R1 and it works . I have shot about 200 rounds of Winchester 230 gr. I have been loading some 200 grain rnfp and the lead bullets  feed with no problem .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com