Author Topic: What brand /model 1911 is recommended for lefty's  (Read 9661 times)

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
What brand /model 1911 is recommended for lefty's
« on: April 12, 2010, 11:54:23 AM »

Howdy Pards

I've been throwing around the idea of having a 1911, I have no experience with one, but do have autos that are user friendly for lefty's, so for a Wild bunch stage, is one better than the other for a lefty? should I be looking at the ambi models, which seem to all have bobbed hammers and lightened triggers, Springfield Armory offers a Mill Spec model, and a loaded model that look good, and I 'm sure there are others. I'd also like to use this gun for defense and  taking to the range, at the same time I guns that will group well. the last 1911 I shot was a friends Dad that let me shot the one he brought home from WW2, I couldn't group worth a darn, he told me this gun was built that way for combat conditions, in case it got muddy or sand in it , it would still shoot, but was meant for very close range shooting. That's the last time I shot a 1911 and that's a good 40 years ago. I know they are very accurate for the most part today.

So what are your feelings on this ????? ::) ???

Regards

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What brand /model 1911 is recommended for lefty's
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:33:19 PM »
As far as SASS is concerned, there are 2 1911 classes, Traditional and Modern. The Traditional, being a stock, bare bones 1911 with no mods and stock mags.  The Modern class caters to the "Gamers". Certain modifications are allowed. You can check the SASS "Wild Bunch" rule book for particulars.  As far as NCOWS or GAF are concerned, the pistols have to be stock with stock magazines. The 19ll was designed for a right hand shooter, so the safety can be clicked off by using the right thumb.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 05:29:11 PM »
I think a Springfield Armory would e the ticket.  You can buy a ambidextrous safety  to install pretty easily.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:04:15 PM »

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:57:57 PM »

Thanks for your input Pards
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 11:24:03 PM »
The problem is ejection, most of the saftey's can be manipulated with your index finger on the wat to the trigger.  Left handed the empties from my Springfield come back in my face. From my better half's Kimber the brass goes well off to my right. I am sure model to model you will find some variances. I normally shoot right handed, (even though I am a left hander) but I do like shooting one in each hand for fun. I also practice with my left hand.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 12:43:56 AM »
Me too, LR.  We never had any left handed holsters when I was a kid. The only time I carried left handed was in 72 when I got my right hand cut. I still carry and shoot right handed. My scores don't drop off too much left handed.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 05:54:20 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't have an interest in 'Wild Bunch' shooting - it's too much like IPSC.

However - I've built a helluva lot of competition and concealed carry Government Models over time, and the more I modified them or added something 'mechanical' to one - the closer my own Government Model came back to stock.

The one I carry - and have carried for years - is a blued Colt Commercial 'pre-Series 70' (one of the last of the un-screwed with commercial Government Models) and until we were issued the M9 - it saw a lot of the world..

It has a GI-Issue National Match long trigger and a flat Gold Cup mainspring housing that I added a lanyard loop to - with plain, checkered WWI-diamond grips (though I have a pair of Ivory Micartas with my initials on one side and Jump Wings on the other).

It handles 'everything' that you can fit into the magazine...

You don't 'need' a lot of 'stuff'.

That additional money's best spent on more ammunition - but if you're a Lefty - 'you' can add an ambidexterous safety - though what you plan to do about releasing the slide or a magazine's up in the air - but if you can do 'that' with your shooting hand - you can also flick that safety.

My advice would be to borrow a stock Government Model and shoot it awhile - 'then' see what you need to do or if you need to do anything at all.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 06:42:26 PM »

Well I'm getting some good advice, I appreciate it pards, any one else have an opinion, let me know.

tEN wOLVES  :D

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 02:21:04 PM »
I shoot a interarms silver cup that I replaced the NM Slide with an israeli slide, new chrome gi barrel.  I do not have a problem with empties coming into my face when shooting left handed

Captain George Baylor did an article on wildbunch shooting the 1911 left handed in the Chronical a few months back.  Lefties can operate both the mag release and slide stop with their index finger

We never use the safety so there is no inherent disadvantage to shooting left handed if your pistol does not spit hot brass in your face.

If you are right eyed shooting left handed cheating to the right to use the proper eye on the sights should eliminate the brass in the face.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 09:25:31 PM »
If you try a couple of different extractors you'll find that they don't all throw brass to the same place. A really good 1911'smith can slightly alter the extractor to to change where the brass lands.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Doc Flimshaw

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 09:25:24 AM »
I am a true lefty and have a springfield mil-spec and have no problems shooting it for wild bunch, At least on mine ,I never get hit by the emptys, and at least for wild bunch you never need the saftey.
As for the slide release and mag release You just use your index finger instead of your thumb, I can activate the slide release faster left handed than most righty's can with their thumb....try it!!..................Doc

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 09:49:16 AM »
  Howdy All

Well I decided to go with the Springfield Armory Mill-Spec, after getting it and handling/shooting it, I decided to add an Ambi Safety, a wide spur hammer and a flat mainspring housing, I wasn't happy with the accuracy or the trigger pull, so I sent it back to SA, and the sent it back with a nice 4 1/2# trigger pull, they had to change out a few other things, and now it will group a 1 3/8" group at 25 yds off a Ransom rest. as far as handling goes this gun feels great, and with the added Ambi safety it is totally user friendly for a lefty.  Here is a few pictures

tEN wOLVES

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 08:43:52 AM »
Very Nice
Mathew 5.9

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 09:22:28 AM »

Thanks litl rooster, it would have been better if my gun would have been fine out of the box, but with Springfield Armory's great customer service and life time warranty, they took great care of me and my gun, I can't ask for more than that.

tEN wOLVES  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com