Author Topic: 1858 with the 5 1/2 inch barrel coming from Cabelas  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
1858 with the 5 1/2 inch barrel coming from Cabelas
« on: July 09, 2013, 06:11:38 PM »
Since they are practically giving these away, I ordered one. Been out of the Remington/Pietta loop a while. Do I need to swap out nipps right off? Any other must-do mods to get her to run sweetly? Favorite caps?

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Re: 1858 with the 5 1/2 inch barrel coming from Cabelas
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 07:36:47 PM »
I'm not the most knowledgeable feller out there, but my Remmie from Cabela's  I bought in December works fine with the nipples it has.  As for caps, Remington #10s and CCI #10s work great for me.  I've had one misfire, and no jams. 

--TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 10:06:09 PM »
My general rule is to take any new gun out on a "shake out cruise" after I have taken it apart and smoothed up the innards. I check to see if the nipples fit my caps (Rem#10, use what you have). Then if the gun functions fine on its stock nipples I pull them out and apply anti-sieze grease to the threads and I don't touch them for years (as long as the gun fires reliably I don't mess with it).
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:29:46 AM »

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 08:54:22 AM »
Thanks pards. I'll clean her up and check the fit of my stash of Remington No. 10s.
It's nice if and when these soot-burners work pretty well fresh from the factory.

;)

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »
Got one today,  didn't want to wait for it to be shipped.  Still waiting for a holster. Enough of my griping about promt customer service.   :-X Nice looking gun, but I really like the looks of a nma, almost as good looking as a beatiful woman.   Cabela's price is about 100 bucks less then one shop I check out.   They also said there was a back order.  Cabela's shelves were empty, I guess I wasn't surprised, no black powder at all.   There was a neat sticker included.  Cabela's also included a starter pack with it, for free,  I really didn't need it but I don't say no to free stuff or a good looking gal. :P
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com