Author Topic: Sewing Grand Champion  (Read 13104 times)

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Sewing Grand Champion
« on: August 14, 2009, 10:25:13 PM »
Guess what won Sewing Grand Champion at the County Fair?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sewing Grand Champion
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:21:39 PM »
Cool!

Did you sew it, or your lovely wife???
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 08:32:46 AM »
I did. My better-half entered it for me without my knowledge.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:02:14 PM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 08:49:38 AM »
Good on you, Slim!!

But I think you got your fabrics turned around. That beautiful pink print should have been the outside, and that dun fabric the lining.

(I suppose this will explain why you're always seen wearing that blue ribbon on this vest when out and about the town. ;D)

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 10:15:55 AM »
Thanks, RCJ.
BTW, the pink print came from Kayleen.  ;)

Slim

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 10:52:17 AM »
Very nice.  Does this signal a career change in the near future?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 02:17:55 AM »
Very nice.  Does this signal a career change in the near future?
Nope. Just a hobby.  ;)

Slim

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 08:03:47 AM »
Howdy Slim,

Very nice work indeed!  Looks period correct as well as being nicely finished.  Did you use the Simplicity pattern?

Good to see others using a needle and thread instead of a platinum card!  I have made 4 shirts and two pair of pants.  I made a vest as well but it is very heavy wool.  Good for the winter and fall shoots here in Michigan.  I just finished a Confederate battle shirt.  I still need to hand sew the buttonholes.  Perhaps I shall post it when finished.  My wife and I bought a sewing  machine so we could make projects together, but I seem to use it 95% of the time.  I would like to make her a Victorian dress one of these days.  That's what winter is for is suppose.

Congrats again!

Yours kindly,

Panhead Pete

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 08:58:03 AM »
Howdy Slim,

Very nice work indeed!  Looks period correct as well as being nicely finished.  Did you use the Simplicity pattern?

Good to see others using a needle and thread instead of a platinum card!  I have made 4 shirts and two pair of pants.  I made a vest as well but it is very heavy wool.  Good for the winter and fall shoots here in Michigan.  I just finished a Confederate battle shirt.  I still need to hand sew the buttonholes.  Perhaps I shall post it when finished.  My wife and I bought a sewing  machine so we could make projects together, but I seem to use it 95% of the time.  I would like to make her a Victorian dress one of these days.  That's what winter is for is suppose.

Congrats again!

Yours kindly,

Panhead Pete

Thanks, pard.

It is Simplicity 5037. The following is the picture on the front.

It is not on the Simplicity website. Another site says it is out of print. I have made a pair of braces and pants from this pattern also.

Post pictures of all the period clothing you have made. Others would like to see it.

Slim

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 03:43:44 PM »
Nope. Just a hobby.  ;)
Slim

Dang.  The last thing I sewed (sowed) were my wild oats and the 'birds' got my entire crop. 

Got a fine lady, Cactus Concha, out of Las Vegas country who does some quality work with a foot treadle sewing machine, and I have about a half dozen shirts by Shotgun Shell over in Cortez, Colorado.  Guess I'll shop around closer to home.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 05:05:04 PM »
Slim, I like that "Hot Pink" lining in the vest. I bet the lining looks "cool" under a black light.  Good job on the vest.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline panhead pete

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 08:15:11 PM »
Howdy Slim,

Yup, that's the pattern.  I bought it at Joann Fabrics a while back.  I have a Civil War Pattern (Richmond Depot Trousers) from County Cloth.  Chas. Childs carries Civil War, but his fabrics and patterns work well for the Old West Period.  Mi Amigo Monterey Jack Brass advised me to slash the pockets on the Richmond Depot Trousers to update them. 

Happy Trails,

Panhead

Offline 'Monterrey' Jack Brass

• NCOWS Life, SASS Life
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • ferrotype of Brass, c1885, by R. Gibson
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 03:53:16 AM »
Slim - nice job on the vest, I'd say you've definitely got the knack for making good stuff.

All - I thought I’d post a picture of items made from the Chas Childs County Cloth pattern that the good PHP (Panhead Pete) mentioned in his post. This makes the typical loose-fit type trousers of the era and is sold as the “Richmond Depot Trousers” pattern. Though the mule ear pockets are period to the 1860s/70s as seen in some photographs of the era, a simple modification to the pattern can be made to create slash front pockets in the style of California pants. I’ve made six or so pair of trousers from this pattern, it’s straightforward and easy to use.

Following are a couple of pictures of items made from the Chas Childs Richmond Depot Trousers pattern, the buttons on the overalls are repro hard rubber Goodyears from 'The Blockade Runner', the buttons on the right pair of trousers are of the period:

On the left are brown canvas overalls*, based on army-issue bottoms and photographs from the era, made by adding about 1.5 inches to the seam allowance on the Richmond Depot pattern all the way around, making the waist band a single piece with no provision for a fabric back belt or pockets.
On the right are brown jeans wool California type trousers with the slash pocket modification.

*Note on overalls: ‘Overalls’, as perhaps a general term in Victorian era usage, captures several types of over-sized, loose-fitting heavy cotton garments intended to be worn over one’s clothing to protect it from being soiled or otherwise damaged. Research indicates that overalls can include canvas tops & bottoms separately, one-piece items that can be referred to as ‘jumpers’, and aprons. The terminology of these items being generically labeled as ‘overalls’ is supported by their grouping as such in both the 1895 Montgomery Ward (pg 269) and 1897 Sears & Roebuck (pg 178) catalogs, though only ‘overalls’ and ‘jumpers’ are listed for sale on pg 39 under ‘Clothing’, less any apron or specific tops/bottoms references, in the 1875 Spring & Summer Montgomery Ward catalog. The term ‘overalls’, therefore, can lead to uncertainty in period written references as to what type of ‘overall’ is being referred to; a one-piece type or bottoms only, for example. References from 1876-78 in F. E. Conrad cashbooks and ledgers (of the G. & B. Robertson Collection) show that overalls were sold through his merchant activities. Overalls references are also found in several reminisces and diaries of commercial hunters of the 1870s as items of purchase (per Encyclopedia of Buffalo Hunters and Skinners Volumes I & II, 2003 & 2006 respectively, by M. Gilbert, and Getting a Stand also by M. Gilbert, 1996). Regarding some details of 1870s era commercially available overalls, they were available through the Montgomery Ward (in 1875) where both ‘overalls’ and ‘jumpers’ were offered in brown duck, unbleached duck, and blue denim.
NRA Life, VFW Life, F&AM 
Old West Research & Studies Association
amateur wetplate photographer

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 04:02:16 AM »
Hi guys. Do you hand-sew just the button-holes or the whole garment? Or do most use a machine for the rest? Sorry for the newbie question.

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 08:43:36 AM »
Hi guys. Do you hand-sew just the button-holes or the whole garment? Or do most use a machine for the rest? Sorry for the newbie question.
Most of the vest was sewn on a Franklin treadle machine (sold by Sears). The button holes were sewn on a modern machine. Some hand sewing had to be on the lining and the pocket welts.

Slim

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 01:50:59 PM »
Thanks, Slim. I've got an old-ish Singer. I'm gonna put it through its paces.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com