Author Topic: Polish em up bright and show them off here!!! (pic posting thread)  (Read 150382 times)

Offline Dusty Morningwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Polish em up bright and show them off here!!! (pic posting thread)
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2007, 12:02:37 PM »
Sweet!  I see some tack decorations in my 66 and Henry's future!

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2007, 03:02:42 PM »
Dusty,

You probably already know this...but do your research...the symbols, even the ones that were done with brass tacks have a meaning, and can tell a story...also the style of tack you use can date a firearm as to when it came into an Indian's ownership, or yours!!

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2007, 07:05:35 PM »
Bill, how did you get the orginal finish off without sanding it?

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Advertising

Offline Ottawa Creek Bill

• Vietnam Vet 1966,67 First place, Southeast Asia Rifle Team, "66/67"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • OCB, A Newer, More Gentler NCOWS Member...........
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2007, 07:46:17 PM »
Will,
Strippeze and burlap. the Strippeze you can get at Lowes or Menards...and the burlap bags at your local grain supply. I only took it down to the wood and didn't remove the original stain.

I used Fiebings Dark Brown Oil stain (the same stain I use on my saddles from Tandy's) and applied it over the original red stain. It will penetrate through the stained wood and gives a deep dark walnut color that I finished off with Jim Chambers original oil finish (available form Dixie's).

I don't like the alcohol based stains because they will leave a dull sheen in the finish & the oil stain will penetrate just as good.

Bill
Vice Chairman American Indian Council of Indianapolis
Vice Chairman Inter tribal Council of Indiana
Member, Ottawa-Chippewa Band of Indians of Michigan
SASS # 2434
NCOWS # 2140
CMSA # 3119
NRA LIFER

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2007, 09:49:20 AM »
You wanted Iron Frame Henries? Here is my "all blue" Henry from 2006 in .44 Special caliber. But she is fed .44 Colt diet only.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Halfway Creek Charlie

• AKA Old Dragoon,The Gunslinger and other no so polite names...
  • Top Active Citizen
  • My Wyatte Earp Impression
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2007, 02:06:13 PM »
Polish 'em Up? Ain't gonna happen.
Here is the famous Bear paw henry(maybe infamous). It's 45LC today, but soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.

SAS-76873
NCOWS-2955
SCORRS
STORM-243
WARTHOG

Shooting History (original), Remy NMA Conversions, 1863 New Model Pocket Model C.F. Conversion, Remy Model 1889 12Ga. Coach Gun
2nd. Gen. "C" Series Colt 1851 Navies
Centennial Arms/Centaur 1860 Armies
1860 Civilian Henry 45LC (soon to be 44 Henry Flat C.F.(Uberti)
Remingon Creedmore Rolling Block 45-70 (Pedersoli)

"Cut his ears off and send them to that Marshall in Sheridan" Prentice Ritter

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2007, 09:31:22 PM »

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2007, 03:24:44 AM »
My long-range Henry .44 Colt caliber.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Cannon Fodder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2007, 06:55:56 PM »
OCB

Beautiful Henry!

What is symbology  of  your  design?

CF

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2007, 02:45:03 PM »
Here's my little sawed-off runt, a Henry Special Short Carbine. I replaced the stock sight with a Marbles adjustable buckhorn unit. The man I bought it from is a pard who hangs out at my favorite toy store, got to chat with him about it today. He's upset I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Jeez, you know, some people just don't understand about life, they think shooting is life.  ;D

Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Offline Cannon Fodder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2007, 07:03:32 PM »
Frenchie,

What is the capacity of your "henry special short carbine"?

CF

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2008, 05:35:15 PM »
Here's an Allen Firearms Henry that I purchased new, back in the early to mid 1980's.  This is a very early Allen gun, so I recontoured the frame and buttplate to resemble the early Henry's in this same serial range.  I wipped off all Italian proofs, but left the Henry patent dates and the Santa Fe, New Mexico barrel marking.  In the late 1980's I had it engraved by a local gunsmith/engraver in an early Samuel J. Hoggson pattern and then antiqued the whole gun.  I've used it for many years and it just keeps getting better with age.

Adios,
Buck

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2008, 08:15:55 PM »
  Nice gun Buck, I like the way it looks aged , I think letting the brass age like this , is a much nicer look, than having it polished to a high gloss , and the engraving really puts the finishing touch to it .

tEN wOLVES
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Ransom Gaer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2008, 11:44:44 PM »
Ten Wolves,

I don't know if you have read all of the posts on this thread, but if you did you know several of us like the aged look on our Henrys and Improved Henrys(1866).  And it is so easy to create.  I just have used real BP residue to age my Henry's receiver.  Used the same method on my Improved Henry.  On my first response to this thread I made the comment that with the dull patina it is "better to sneak up on the badguys with."

Buck,

I agree that is a nice rifle.  Ya dun good.

Ransom Gaer
Pvt Ransom Geer Co D 34th Virginia Infantry Regiment
SCORRS
Soot Lord
Warthog
STORM

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2008, 08:55:28 AM »
I have a lot of antique guns, but the Henry in the photo and a Shiloh Sharps are the only reproductions I own.  I wanted both guns to have the look and feel of the real thing, so I went for the antiqued look.  I went a little farther on the Henry than I did with the Shiloh, because I knew how nice the patina would look on the brass frame and buttplate.  I know some guys like the polished "new" look but none of the old timers sat by the fire or at the table in their shack and polished the brass on their Henrys and 1866 Winchesters.  This was especially true if you lived on the frontier.  There are several great looking "antique" Henry's on this thread.

Adios,
Buck

Henry4440

« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2008, 10:15:37 AM »

Beautiful Henry that you own,Buck. :)
What cal.?

;)

Offline louisc

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2008, 11:47:43 AM »
HOWDY PARDNERS WHAT A BEAUTIFUL DAY IN FLORIDA. I OWN THE BLACK BALLED BROKLYN MODEL HENRY.I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE BAD BLOOD BETWEEN THE ONE MADE HERE AND THE ONE IN EROUPE, YES I UNDERSTAND THAT IT'S A MODERN LOADING GATE AND MAYBE SOME OTHER THINGS. THE REVEIWERS OF THE GUNS SAY THE SAME THING ABOUT THE RUGER VACERO SO WHY SO AGAINST THEM BOTTOM LINE IF IT WORKS NOADAYS YOUR LUCKY EVEN IF IT'S A COLT, THEY ALL STILL HAVE PROBLOMS TO DEAL WITH ITS JUST HOW MUCH ARE WE TALKING PERSONALLY I WOULD NOT BUY A NEW GUN KNOWING THAT I WOULD HAVE TO PUT FROM 100-150 DOLLARS OR MORE TO GET THE RIFLES TO SHOOT. THAT SEEMS TO BE PURPOSLY DONE TO GET RIDE OF BAD INVENTORY. SOME WILL FIX THEM THEMSELVES AND OTHERS TRY TO GET RESULTS FROM THE DEALERS.IF YOU WENT OUT AND BOUGHT A NEW CAR AND WHEN YOU WENT TO TAKE IT HOME IT DIDNT WORK AND THE SAILS GUY SAYS OH YOU HAVE TO BUY A AFTERMARKET PEICE TO MAKE IT RUN ,WOULD YOU BUY THE NEW CAR? I DONT THINK SO ,SO WHY are so many people putting up with inferier carftmanship if thats what you call it.somebody needs to take a stand against all the gun companies and demand either a lower price to make the repairs to the new gun making it the  price as before.or recall them and put things right like a company that counts on reputation not sales and complaints. >:(

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2008, 11:59:52 AM »
Henry 4440,
It's a .44-40.  This is the only caliber available in the early Allen Firearms Henry's.  Boy what a shooter.

Adios,
Buck

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2008, 05:24:24 PM »
louisc, many of us don't like that the company misrepresents it's self as a descendent of the original Henry company.

Also many of us are more than shooters but history nuts.  Your rifle is a perfect reproduction of a gun that never was.

They could have made a reproduction of many different historical rifles but chose to make this one. Then they added insult to injury and called it a "Henry" and imply it is like the original.   If you like it fine, to me it is clunky and ugly and the manufacturers are charlatans.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2008, 03:41:12 PM »
louisc

The manufacturers are not getting rid of bad inventory, all of their products are pretty much the same, and all can stand a little bit of tuning to perform at their best. Your analogy of a car that doesn't work properly right out of the showroom is not quite accurate. Most of these guns function reasonably well right out of the box. But in this sport some of us tend to run them to extremes. To paraphase a well known CAS gunsmith who used to drive race cars in an earlier life, taking a stock gun to a CAS match and shooting the dickens out of it week after week is a bit like taking the family sedan out on a race track. You will probably get away with it a time or two, but do it often enough and one day you will see the transmission sliding down the road behind you in your rear view mirror. Given ordinary use, most of these guns will function just fine. But they were never designed to be shot as often and as hard as many do in CAS. Many of the originals did not have more than a few boxes of ammo run through them in years. We tend to shoot our guns a lot in CAS, and some shoot them really hard. Just like the family sedan, which works fine for ordinary use, these very old designs usually need a little bit of fine tuning to put up with the abuse we tend to heap on them.

And I happen to share  Will Ketchum's opinion of the HRAC. If you take the time to read their advertising material, and if you know anything at all about the history of the real Henry rifle, you will see that HRAC's promotional material is full of half truths and self serving fiction. If they had chosen to build their guns and simply not come up with the fiction that they are somehow connected with the historical Henry rifle, I would have no quarrel with them at all. It is their dishonest approach to their marketing that continues to convince me I will never buy any of their products.

But I sincerly hope you are happy with your rifle and enjoy shooting it.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com