Author Topic: Primers  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Primers
« on: January 25, 2023, 08:10:04 PM »
Brownell's has them and if you have a good line of credit at the bank they have large, small and some magnum.
Outlandish pries but they do have them.
almost tipped my pacemaker
Respectfully
Bunk

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: Primers
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 10:18:51 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up.
Price is what it is, so no choice as I am down to my last 200 Small Pistol.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 08:59:58 AM »
Right now the only pistol primers they have is Winchester, although those are 20% less than Federal.  I've been buying from Natchez since they allow a max of 10K versus 2K at Brownells.  Spreads out the hazmat and shipping charges (and I'm shooting 4 matches a month).

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:20:58 PM »

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 05:18:54 PM »
I don't know my stock was replenished right before i got sick so the little shooting i am doing now will last my life time and have one great estate sale.
Stay safe
Bunk

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 06:14:47 PM »
I don't know my stock was replenished right before i got sick so the little shooting i am doing now will last my life time and have one great estate sale.
Stay safe
Bunk
Well Bunk, if you decide to have a "pre-estate sale" let me know.  ;D

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 07:51:04 PM »
 The primer prices on Brownells seem to be a bit cheaper than Natchez
Primer prices like every thing else are sky high
It’s probably the new normal and long gone are the days when you could get a full case for less than 200
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 08:24:08 PM »
There's someone selling a brick of small pistol for $75.00 on Gunbroker, but I do not think I would trust them as they come from Argentina.

Anyone with experience reloading with Argentinian primers?
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 09:14:37 PM »
 River city have you looked at Target sports USA for small primers
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Bunk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2023, 10:08:51 PM »
Abilene
I am still shooting every other day, trying my best to use them up. .45-70 in the morning about 20 rounds I think. Hate to shoot a suppository gun but the gun and ammo is yelling at me.
Not bad for a depression baby don't you think?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2023, 10:57:18 PM »
There's someone selling a brick of small pistol for $75.00 on Gunbroker, but I do not think I would trust them as they come from Argentina.

Anyone with experience reloading with Argentinian primers?

RCJ, I picked up a thousand of the Argentinian primers from a friend who bought a bunch.  I normally shoot Federals.  My guns have lighter springs but not super light.  Anyway, no problem in the pistols but I had to turn up the main spring strain screw on my '73 just a bit (half turn, I think) to reliably set them off.  I only shot 100 of them to try out, saving the rest for future needs.

Small rifle primers are almost the same as small pistol and can pretty much be used interchangeably (I just learned that this past year).  Before I got the Federals, I picked up 5K of CCI small rifle.  Also, CCI are not hard like they used to be.  I shot 1K of the CCI small rifle primers with no problems.  I turned up the strain screw a quarter turn for those, but don't know if it needed it or not.  I do know a guy with highly tuned Rugers and rifle who had some light strikes with the CCI small rifle.  Note:  small magnum rifle primers are NOT interchangeable with small pistol, the magnum rifle primers are definitely harder (regardless of brand).  And large rifle are different dimension (taller) than large pistol so not interchangeable.

The problem with buying any primers or powder mail order is shipping and hazmat.  If you only buy 1 or 2K of primers, that adds up fast.  If you buy a bunch of primers, those charges get spread out.  I've bought about 1500 (oops. edit: 15000) Federals mail order and 5K CCI.  Whenever I did, I also purchased some powder because one hazmat fee and one shipping fee takes care of both the powder and primers.   And I lucked into a few thousand Federal magnum small pistol from Academy.  I didn't even know they carried primers, but a friend called me from an Academy and told me they had them so I rushed down there.  And they were only $80/K plus I signed up for an Academy credit card which gave an additional discount.

Yeah primers are expensive, but buy once cry once.  I don't regret paying that much since I still get to shoot, and if they come down in price it won't be a drastic amount.  If I do find cheaper ones somewhere I'll buy them to add to my supply.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2023, 10:59:20 PM »
Abilene
I am still shooting every other day, trying my best to use them up. .45-70 in the morning about 20 rounds I think. Hate to shoot a suppository gun but the gun and ammo is yelling at me.
Not bad for a depression baby don't you think?
No Bunk, not bad at all!  You just shoot all you want and enjoy it!   :)

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2023, 11:22:28 AM »
These prices I'm reading are kind of bad. Around here the Federal Match primers they are still wanting 99 at shops but I got them for 79 at Cabelas and CCI at Cabelas were 59 dollars. That is promising to me that prices should eventually get down to someone reasonable level if people will just refuse to pay those higher prices.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com