Author Topic: Trapdoor  (Read 1072 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Trapdoor
« on: August 22, 2022, 06:44:56 PM »
Reloading .45-70 with black powder for an original Trapdoor rifle. The Lee 405 grain hollow base bullet, probably a silly question but do I need to fill up the hole in the base of the bullet? I know you can't have any airspace with black powder but I don't think the hollow base counts as an airspace, or does it?
I was going to use a card over the powder as well.

I made 5 rounds like this:

Lee 459-405-HB, 405 grain hollow base bullet.
1:40 tin:lead
lambfat/beeswax lube.
Circle Fly .460" diameter .062" thick vegetable fiber card.
67 grains Goex 2F by weight.
W-W brass.
CCI 200 Large Rifle Primer.

I only made the 5 rounds then I realized I don't know if the hollow base counts as an air space. I know that there can't be any air gap with black powder, I just don't know how you're supposed to deal with hollow base bullets.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: Trapdoor
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 07:18:03 PM »
Leave the hollow base empty, it is not a problem.  Do NOT use a wad with a HB Bullet.  It compresses unevenly into the HB on firing and opens up groups,  It will group better if you just seat the bullet on the powder as the Army indeed loaded it.  Save wads for flat base bullets.  How are you placing the powder in the case?  Drop tube? Compression die?

https://the4570book.com/
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 08:14:05 PM »
Since I already made 5 rounds with the hollow base + wad is there any safety issue, would it be okay to fire them? Going forward I will not use a wad with hollow base bullets.

As far as how I am loading, I am using a Lee powder through die with a funnel on top. I don't have a drop tube. After the powder is in the case I tap it to settle the powder as much as possible. I don't have a compression die. I am just compressing the powder when I seat the bullet. I have not noticed any major deformation of the bullet although it's possible that I don't know what to look for.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:15:30 PM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 08:20:35 AM »
Go ahead and shoot them.  Tapping is fine.  Settled powder should not be compressed more than a tenth of an inch or so by the bullet.  More than that either reduce the charge or obtain a compression die. WW brass has the most volume.

Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2023, 11:49:37 AM »
You may get a bit tighter pack if you touch the case to your vibratory tumbler while running.  If no tumbler an electric toothbrush can vibrate case as well.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com