Author Topic: Winchester Model 1901 Lever Action 10g Shotgun  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 691
Winchester Model 1901 Lever Action 10g Shotgun
« on: November 05, 2022, 11:34:00 PM »
I recently aquired a pretty decent looking Winchester Model 1901 in 10 gauge. The only downfall to the gun was a very ugly rubber recoil pad that was installed many years ago. It was basically falling apart so I took it off.

I thought I might just find an original metal buttplate and put on it but upon further inspection I realized that the orginal buttstock has been cut. I took the buttplate off my original 1887 and it did not fit. The original plate is too big.

So, with that out of the question I would like some suggestions on what would be the best option for keeping this shotgun at least looking mostly original?

What route should I go as far as a vintage style recoil pad or buttplate?

Thank you in advance for any direction.

"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Winchester Model 1901 Lever Action 10g Shotgun
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2022, 08:34:45 AM »
If you do a Google search on "Winchester reproduction butt pads" -- or similar search terms -- you'll get many companies that can supply vintage style pads.   One such company is: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/winchester/recoil-pads.html.   You may not find the exact pad that is on your shotgun, but I'll bet you'll find something that works and looks appropriate.   Hope this helps.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 09:51:27 AM »
 :)  Well Heck Rube  ;)

Most any Second Hand (used) or New Reproduction is going to be too large.  Since the stock was cut for a Recoil Pad, I'd suggest sticking with one.  You gotz a Belt sander??  Disc Sander perhaps??  My suggestion would be a Pachmayr Black Base grind to fit recoil pad.  Would look good, feel good, and from 6 feet may even look sort of period (who cares).  Suggest you fill any existing screw holes from the previous hack job first.

Remember:  People Are Still Hazardous to yer Health

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:51:34 AM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 04:38:23 PM »
Had the same problem.  Went online and found a flat steel Winchester buttplate, with the appropriate screw spacing, screwed it on, traced around it then ground on it until it fit.  If the holes are gone/filled it's even easier.

I think this is the one I used, or one like it.  https://homesteadparts.com/shop/buttplate-winchester-flat-metal-1895-with-buttplate-screw-p-3890.html?cPath=87_89
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 04:42:34 PM »
Or search "Metal buttplate" on ebay, lots of stuff you can make work.  Wood putty, a grinder and a drill.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2022, 09:17:06 PM »
Thanks y’all, for the ideas and pointers. I’m still weighing my options. With the recoil pad off it’s about an inch short bit with the long throw on the action it may be okay in the long run.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 07:43:49 AM »

:)  Well Heck  :D

Since I have a somewhat Jaundiced Opine of the Winchester Lever Shotguns, I would personally solve the problem by trading it off for a nice Hammer Double.  Actually, a nice 12Ga Hammer Double.  Seems finding a 10Ga hammer double other than Damascus is some problematic.  BSIDES, I tend to choke when even considering 9 and 10 Bucks a hull for 10Ga.  Oof Da.

Lets Have Fun Out There

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2022, 06:01:00 PM »
:)  Well Heck  :D

Since I have a somewhat Jaundiced Opine of the Winchester Lever Shotguns, I would personally solve the problem by trading it off for a nice Hammer Double.  Actually, a nice 12Ga Hammer Double.  Seems finding a 10Ga hammer double other than Damascus is some problematic.  BSIDES, I tend to choke when even considering 9 and 10 Bucks a hull for 10Ga.  Oof Da.

I know I’m in a minority but I happen to love the Winchester Lever Action Shotguns. In the 1901 I’m planning to shoot smokeless loads in plastic hulls.

Lets Have Fun Out There

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com