Author Topic: Comparison Winchester and Miroku 1873 carbines  (Read 1182 times)

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5904
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Comparison Winchester and Miroku 1873 carbines
« on: December 31, 2022, 01:40:42 PM »
Happy new year's compadres! 
I thought I would dig out an original Winchester 1873 carbine and compare to a Miroku side by side.  I recall that the Miroku guns were modelled after the Uberti rifles and carbines.  That is a bit odd, but I believe it to be correct, with a few exceptions. 
Here are some things that are the same.  The Miroku is based on a third model style receiver with integrated rail for the dust cover.  The barrel length on both carbines in 20 inches, which was standard.  For some reason, the Uberti carbines have a 19 inch barrel.  The front sight is on the barrel, which is correct for a Winchester third model carbine.  The current Uberti carbines have the front sight on the barrel band which is not correct for a third model style receiver.
Here are some differences.  There is a noticeable gap between the barrel and magazine on the Miroku.  I believe that is a feature of the Uberti guns as well.  I don't understand it.  Miroku had a chance to make it right but didn't.  Oh, well.  The lever and hammer should be case hardened, but are blued on the Miroku.  The Miroku has a rebounding firing pin.  Probably the lawyers insisted on that.  The Miroku has a front sight blade held in by a pin, so it can be replaced.  On the original 1873 carbine in my collection, the front sight is integral with the base.  Also, the barrel and magazine tube should be even with each other.  On the Miroku, the magazine tube is slightly shorter.  Finally, the Miroku has a shorter action than the Winchester.  I don't understand why they changed the stroke of the action. 
Overall, I think the Miroku 1873 carbine is a fine effort.  They could have made a few things closer to the original, but I do like it. 
Original 1873 carbine on top, Miroku on bottom

"There are a few things they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit."

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
Re: Comparison Winchester and Miroku 1873 carbines
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 03:22:55 PM »
Miroku also had a chance to copy the original model 1873 scrollwork on the top tang, but didn't.  Uberti did.  They also could have put the Kings patent dates on the barrel (Cimarron Ubertis have it).  No reason not to.  I'm guessing the shorter stroke (shorter than Uberti as well) was to appeal to the CAS crowd, as well as being sprung lighter than the Uberti so they are usually pretty smooth out of the box, at least the ones I handled.

What caliber is the Miroku?  I recently read that Miroku uses .427 for their .44 barrels, first time I had heard that.  If it's true, I say good for them!

Offline Bryan Austin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 08:07:58 PM »
Miroku also had a chance to copy the original model 1873 scrollwork on the top tang, but didn't.  Uberti did.  They also could have put the Kings patent dates on the barrel (Cimarron Ubertis have it).  No reason not to.  I'm guessing the shorter stroke (shorter than Uberti as well) was to appeal to the CAS crowd, as well as being sprung lighter than the Uberti so they are usually pretty smooth out of the box, at least the ones I handled.

What caliber is the Miroku?  I recently read that Miroku uses .427 for their .44 barrels, first time I had heard that.  If it's true, I say good for them!

I did a quick search a few nights ago on google and although many say they slugged their Miroku barrels, not one said what it slugged at, but most decided to shoot .428-.429 bullets. I am still waiting myself for a confermation.
Chasing The 44-40 Website: https://sites.google.com/view/44winchester

Chasing The 44-40 Forum: https://44-40.forumotion.com

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:56:18 AM »

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 10:49:10 PM »
Sadly cannot really contribute meaningfully to this thread.  My 20 inch miroku 44-40 is a short rifle and not a carbine.  Probably an extra 1/2 to 3/4 LOP happily the naturally short stroke on the lever makes this one work much better than my 1892 hartford 24 inch rifle.  In the 92 that extra lop vs the 92 carbine makes it just a bit harder to fully open the lever with my 5' 6" frame.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2023, 07:33:32 AM »

:) Hi Guys  ;)

When opened up, yule find several "other" things Miroku copied from the Uberti.  They copied the same bent tab Ladle (dumb) and they copied the Three Piece Firing Pin assembly from Uberti.  Miroku did however, change the geometry of the Link/Breach Block/Lever relationship to produce a shorter lever throw.  Also notable, Miroku also recognized they needed lighter springs with their shorter stroke.  Miroku Replicants are without doubt, VERY well made guns.  Ah, but no "speed parts."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com