Author Topic: New Shooter meets A$$h0le at 1st shoot  (Read 17047 times)

Offline CryptoDave

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Shooter meets A$$h0le at 1st shoot
« on: June 21, 2017, 04:07:33 AM »
Hi everyone,

Pardon the title but I really need some advice.

I'm a new shooter and went to my first local shoot.

I introduced myself to the man n charge and told him I'm a brand spakin new shooter. He said no worries and introduced me to the group as a newb.

When it was my turn to shoot I was so nervous I was shaking like a leaf, but I was damned determined to do it. I have been practicing everyday at home dry shooting and going to my local indoor range to shoot. But, as soon as I got up there, everything I practiced went out the door as my nerves kicked in. As time went on during the match, my nerves settled down a bit.

But here's what really pissed me off, one of the more experienced shooters who is a regular at this club, gave me some advice. Now I'm totally open to advice, hell im a new shooter so I feel I can learn from anyone. But this shooter started off with comments like "why the hell are you holding your rifle this way......" and "what's with the shakes?" Not only did he make me feel stupid, he made me feel unwelcome.

All I've heard is that Cowboy Shooters are some of the nicest people, but from my experience part of me doesn't want to go back. But I really do like the sport and want to continue and I'm sure as hell not going to be pushed out. Unfortunately this is the closest local club to where I live. I decided to continue my practice and go back.

Just not sure what to do when this big mouth fires off next time. Part of me wants to say "look if you've got some advice I'm all ears, but otherwise keep it to yoursel" but I know this will be starting  me off on the wrong foot, especially with a what appears to be tight if not "clicky" group.

Any advice?

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: New Shooter meets A$$h0le at 1st shoot
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 07:34:37 AM »
People forget they were just the same when they were newbies, too.

Like the line out of "Magnificent 7", when asked if his hands were sweaty and mouth dry, "Every time."

Adrenaline kicks in before a shooting a new stage.

Keep on going, get to know the people, most likely the old veteran was just trying to help you relax. Just give it no never mind. Ask a lot of questions about things you're curious about, talk firearms and equipment, and observe how people shoot stages. Pitch in and help with running the posse, too. Show them you're willing to be a part.
I guarantee you your next match with them will seem more relaxed and comfortable.

Have fun and welcome to the sport.

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Jeremiah Jones

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3945
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 07:42:31 AM »
Wish I had some advice, other than look farther off, for a better group. I am a semi-outsider myself.  20 years ago, I shot with a group near St. Louis (most of us drove work pickups).  If a FNG showed up in blue jeans, flannel shirt and work boots, we would welcome him and help him.  5 years ago, I went to a group near Atlanta.  Most members drove German cars and the few pickups looked like they had just come off the showroom floor.  I was treated like *^$%.  My Rossi 1892 in .45 Colt was not authentic.  I should throw it in the garbage and get a $3,000 rifle with a $1,500 action job; my pants were the wrong weight wool, etc., .etc.  I found another group to shoot with.  It was a lot longer drive, but well worth it.
Scouts Out!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:21:12 AM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 08:34:20 AM »
We all were new shooters once. We shouldn't forget that and when a newbe comes out to play our game we need to make him comfortable. He's under plenty of self induced stress. Keep him and us safe and let him have some fun. Hang in there Dave, be a helper bee, pick up brass, reset targets or carry long guns. Work the match and watch how the other cowboys shoot the stage. They'll show you the best way to shoot it. By working you'll be seen as an asset. I've been to shoots where cowboys feel that they paid their money and so they don't have to do any work. Don't be disheartened. After a while, 'shooter ready, beep ' won't be so scary. Mostly, just have fun.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline CryptoDave

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 10:27:02 AM »
Thanks guys!

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 10:28:35 AM »
Rule number one for a newbe is "Don't forget to Breathe."

Rule number two for a newbe is take your time and don't be rushed.
(Any Body tries to rush you, ask them to do it for you and you'll just watch)

Rule number three for a newbe is when the "helpful" sounds like criticism, tell em to go away.

Rule number four:  When they call you to shoot, remember rule NUMBER ONE

Coffinmaker

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 11:42:28 AM »
It has been my experience , confident , disciplined, seasoned shooter will offer advise "IF" you ask...

A type as you describe , who volunteers his version of advise or belittles someone....is to be avoided.

I've seen them, met a few, I try to avoid them when possible  and when I'm annoyed enough I let them know it   >:(

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 04:04:39 PM »
I've tried to be an ambassador at our club.  When we get someone that shows up and shows interest,  I try to get them to stand beside me at the loading table.  It's a great place to watch the loading procedure and also watch what's going on on the firing line.  The interested new person gets a good look at everybody's guns and ammo and has a chance to converse with about everyone on the posse. At the end of the match,  we will invite them to shoot a stage.  Some do and some don't.   We'll encourage them to come to next match and offer to loan guns, ammo and whatever else they need to shoot.  I remember one match where a guy borrowed everything.  And the same match, I loaned a guy one handgun.  He had everything else he needed.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 08:35:59 PM »
At a lot of clubs you can choose which posse to sign up on at registration.  If so, sign up on a different one than that guy  :)

As for shakes, yeah adrenaline, as said above.  After a lot of years doing this, I often find myself shaking at the unloading table after stage 1  :)

Just overlook that one doofus and enjoy the wonderful world of CAS !

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 08:30:39 AM »
Hi everyone,

Pardon the title but I really need some advice.

Shake it off?   ;)

Hey, I went to a shoot at a new place for me and they were nice but there were a couple guys there that thought they were too smart for everyone else.  I wear slim jim holsters, a money belt, and shoot long barreled 1860 conversions.  These guys were all over what a dunce I was for that setup, snickering about how I would never amount to anything until I got with the actual and only SASS program of gaming the system for speed.  I said:

"You know there is a brand new category coming out for 4&3/4 barrels and buscadero rigs only right?"

'There is?  What is it?"

"Queer cowboy" I said.  

Shoot what you want when you want and encourage all others in their shooting no matter what they shoot.  You cannot manage others behavior, but your response will tell them who you are and your character is what counts, not some piss ant snot eating little mouth that has mommy clean his cap guns for him.  

Peace
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 12:09:15 PM »
Neo-poleons exist... ::)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 10:47:05 AM »
Just do your best to avoid that guy and go have fun.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 07:19:59 AM »
Shake it off?   ;)

Hey, I went to a shoot at a new place for me and they were nice but there were a couple guys there that thought they were too smart for everyone else.  I wear slim jim holsters, a money belt, and shoot long barreled 1860 conversions.  These guys were all over what a dunce I was for that setup, snickering about how I would never amount to anything until I got with the actual and only SASS program of gaming the system for speed.  I said:

"You know there is a brand new category coming out for 4&3/4 barrels and buscadero rigs only right?"

'There is?  What is it?"

"Queer cowboy" I said.  

Shoot what you want when you want and encourage all others in their shooting no matter what they shoot.  You cannot manage others behavior, but your response will tell them who you are and your character is what counts, not some piss ant snot eating little mouth that has mommy clean his cap guns for him.  

Peace

Ahhhhh......I like that Mean Bob.

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 08:06:27 PM »
There is an old saying that goes "those who can, do.  Those who can't, teach."  Sometimes, I think the saying should be "those who can, can't teach."  Some times people who have a "natural ability" have a difficult time taking that ability and sharing their techniques with others.  Sounds like the person you ran into just didn't have the tact to teach. There are better ways to hold a rifle for CAS and sometimes a bit of humor can ease nerves.  Might be what this guy was trying to do, he just didn't realize he wasn't doing it very well.  Give them another chance.  You will find that they probably are a tight knit group, and they'd love to have you in their group.  Remember, this was only one person in the group.  The best advice I can give you is to either volunteer or ask others to teach you how to handle some of the posse duties.  I always liked working the unloading table.  It gave me an opportunity to watch the good shooters.  When they were done with a stage, I would ask them why they did certain things certain ways.  Once they get to know you, they will take you aside and teach you some of their tricks.

Offline maldito gringo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 08:10:55 AM »
When I was getting interested in CAS I went to a local club to watch a shoot. The guy who was running the shoot came up to me and asked if i was a shooter .I explained that I was interested in the sport and wanted to see how it was done, meet some folks, ask questions, etc. He pretty rudely informed me that i was a spectator & I had to stand way back behind the shooting carts, where all I could see was carts and cowboy rear ends. I explained that I was an experienced shooter, understood range regulations, and woud not be causing anyone any problems.. didn't make a dent. I could not get near the loading table let alone the firing line, and every time I tried to move to where I could actually see something he came running over to shoo me back. I asked him how i was supposed to "spectate" If i couldn't see. I went to the next shoot ( My first ) cold, and when I got to the firing line, I asked him if I wasn't supposed to be behind the carts. He either had no memory of the incident, or didn't appreciate the joke. It takes all kinds.

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »
The world is full of rectums. There is no avoiding them.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 10:11:21 AM »
The club that I belong to will allow spectators who have eye and ear protection on the range, those without stay back under the shelter. A NEW new shooter is assigned a mentor, usually our club safety officer for his/her first shoot. We all want and need new shooters to join cas. I don't know why any RO would give a prospective new shooter a hard time. That steel is awful damn heavy and we ain't getting any younger.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline maldito gringo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 12:07:54 PM »
Yup. Didn't notice a whole lot of that "warm & welcoming " thing either, except from folks my own age (see avatar). Note to younger pards: I'm not here to slow down your shoot or disrupt your laser-like focus. Just here to relax, shoot my personal best and have a good time. If that don't work for you you might try 3gun or IDPA.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 01:01:05 PM »
 Has anyone ever noticed ,,a mirror ,,it show's what you look like,,,not who you "ARE".

smok'm if y'a got'm,,,Hootmix.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 05:36:06 PM »
Next time somethin like that happens just tell em you been watchin them and are  tryin to be just like them.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com