Author Topic: Reloading data for Gun Club (Remington) target  (Read 27270 times)

Offline Longshot Lil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Reloading data for Gun Club (Remington) target
« on: April 09, 2012, 12:23:53 PM »
I have a lot of the Remington Gun Club target load shells, and am wondering if anyone knows where I can find reloading information for them.  I assume these can be reloaded, but the Hodgdon site (and all the others I've looked at) don't have this particular shell listed.  I guess it would be also prudent to ask if anyone out there reloads these.  Can they be reloaded or do I need to hunt up some expensive shells to shoot and save the shells from those?  Even if these Gun Club shells can be reloaded only once, I'd be happy.  Thanks in advance! 

Offline longinosoap

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Reloading data for Gun Club (Remington) target
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 06:32:31 AM »
I reloaded some I found at one of the matches I shoot. Someone had left quite a few lying on the ground so I cleaned the range as well. They worked fine. I also reloaded the Remington Heavy dove shells. They worked fine as well. Fell right out of my TTN double. Now I have enough STS and AA shells that I have scrounged at matches so no longer use the others. Reload them once or twice at the most and you will have no problems.

Offline Longshot Lil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 07:39:38 AM »
Longinosoap:  Thanks for the reply...I'm kinda looking for what reloading formula to use for these.  I'm new to reloading shot shells and want to be sure I'm doing things right.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:03:07 AM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 09:17:11 AM »
The UNIVERSAL ADVICE on reloading shotgun ammo is to ALWAYS USE PUBLISHED DATA.

That includes all components.The reason is that for shotshell reloading there are many variables that interrelate.  Published data is developed in a lab and pressure tested.

Mostly I use the green aluminum head cases for Blackpowder roll crimped rounds for my older European guns. BP works at lower pressures alowing more leeway.

Your caution is to be commended.

P.S;  As Stu Kettle says below, both the Hodgdon and Alliant reloading sites show Gun Club shells as a selection.  In Hodgdon's it is the 8th case selection and I can see how it would be hard to find.  I have used a lot of Red Dot and Green Dot so I consult the Alliant site which seems a bit easier to use.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 09:24:33 AM »

That includes all components.The reason is that for shotshell reloading there are many variables that interrelate.  Published data is developed in a lab and pressure tested.

Mostly I use the green aluminum head cases for Blackpowder roll crimped rounds for my older European guns. BP works at lower pressures alowing more leeway.

Your caution is to be comended.

Ditto on that one.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Longshot Lil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »

If I could FIND published data, I wouldn't have posted my question  ;D  I can't find anything anywhere (online) that specifically says "Remington Gun Club".  I have found several posts in other forums that they treat the Gun Club shells as the STS, but nothing that specifically says "Gun Club" on it in the load data tables that are online.  I'll probably be going to the store I buy reloading supplies from to look at their printed data books to see if there is anything in those.  I don't have a data book for shotshell

<clip>

Your caution is to be commended.

Thank you Sir Charles.  I know this isn't anything to screw around with, especially being totally new to shotshell reloading!

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 10:45:50 AM »
I use the Hogdon site and the Alliant site, they both list gun club cases, in the same line with Remington STS and Nitros

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
I use the Hogdon site and the Alliant site, they both list gun club cases, in the same line with Remington STS and Nitros
  I amended my post AFTER I went and checked the sites.  Lots of good data.

Offline Longshot Lil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »
Would you mind posting a link Stu?  I just went back to Hodgdon's site and I don't see Gun Club listed.  There is " 2-3/4" Remington RXP, Premier and STS plastic shells", but everything else listed for Remington is 3".  Remember that I am loading 20 ga, and lead shot, which are the only two search criteria I put in.  I also just went to Alliant's site again, and they have even less of a selection.  For Remington 20 ga, they have only STS and 3 shot weights as a selection.

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 03:35:01 PM »
http://data.hodgdon.com/shotshell_load.asp

I only looked for a 1 oz. 12 gauge load, but i'm sure they list others.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 06:37:53 PM »
Would you mind posting a link Stu?  I just went back to Hodgdon's site and I don't see Gun Club listed.  There is " 2-3/4" Remington RXP, Premier and STS plastic shells", but everything else listed for Remington is 3".  Remember that I am loading 20 ga, and lead shot, which are the only two search criteria I put in.  I also just went to Alliant's site again, and they have even less of a selection.  For Remington 20 ga, they have only STS and 3 shot weights as a selection.

I hadn't been following your other threads so I didn't realize you were focussing on 20 gauge.  If that is the gun you have keep up your research.  If you are still looking for a gun remember that 12gauge components & data are available almost everywhere.  If gun weight and recoil are factors, they come out a wash if you use 7/8 oz superlite loads and a lighter upland gun.

Offline Longshot Lil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 08:15:47 PM »
My previous thread about load data, bushings and powder weight not jiving IS about loading for 12 gauge.  That is for my husband's Winchester 97.  I have a SxS 20 gauge that I also want to load for.  These are two completely different threads, which is why tried not to confuse the issue by continuing the other thread and started a new one on the different topic.  I just went back and re-read what I had posted so far and my bad...I never specified that I was looking for 20 gauge.  Sorry to have slipped up on that one.  I have a lot of other things that are on my mind right now, and I probably thought I typed it while I was thinking of something else.

12 gauge information does not help me with this thread, as I am looking for information on 20 gauge Gun Club reloading.  I do not want to use his 97, as it just has too much kick for me to feel comfortable (at least right now, and yes, I shot a few rounds with it).  Plus his length of pull is 2 inches longer than mine.  I do not feel physically comfortable using his longer LOP guns, and I am certain there is an accuracy factor in there as well with that issue.

We went to our reloading supply store and looked in the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook (5th ed), which was the only shotshell reloading book they had.  We did not find ANY mention of Remington Gun Club shells, and even in the shotshell identification guide, there was only ONE Remington 20 gauge shell pictured.  I guess I'm going to have to find a marked STS, Premier or RXT shell at the range and cut it apart and compare it with a Gun Club shell, if I want to load these.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 06:02:14 AM »
Lil,

The beauty of reloading is that you can make it do anything you want. You can load the same shot weight and velocity of a 20 G into a 12 G hull, resulting in 20 G recoil with more readily available 12 G components.

BTW, have you thought about Black Powder loading?

Rick

Offline Longshot Lil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 06:54:55 AM »
Rick, I still want my own gun, I prefer a SxS, and I really don't want a 12.  Plus there is still the issue of hubby's LOP being WAY longer than mine and his gun is a lot heavier than mine, I'll stick to the 20...besides, I have a reloader for 20 now, so I can't leave it sitting unused!  I don't know why you say the 12 has easier to find components.  I have found a TON of 20 ga hulls at the range, and wads for the 20 are in plentiful supply at our local store.

I know absolutely nothing about black powder.  I don't even know what the difference is between smokeless and BP (besides the assumption that one doesn't smoke and the other probably does).

Offline Longshot Lil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 08:56:09 AM »
I just took the proverbial bull by the horns, and called Remington.  They verified (without hesitation) that the 20 ga Gun Club hulls are the same as the STS for reloading purposes.  I had read that on some other forums, but wanted to be absolutely sure, so there's our answer.  I will be reloading a LOT of shells!  Now all I have to do is pick a formula/recipe to use, that hopefully uses some of the same components as some other shells that I would like to do!  Yeay!  I guess now I need to carve out some time to go through all my hulls and check them over so they're ready to load!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 09:04:42 AM »
I would have done that a long time ago and made it simple.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Longshot Lil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 09:10:42 AM »
Funny that no one suggested it, and I didn't think of it until last night after we didn't find anything in the printed reloading manual.

I do have another sort of related question.  In the load data charts, there are loads that say (under the shot weight column) "7/8 Lt."  Does this mean anything other than it's a 7/8 ounce load of shot and it's considered a "light" load?  I don't know that I am going to choose one of those loads, and I doubt I will, but it's nice to know what things mean!

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 09:19:13 AM »
Some things don't need suggested, some things just require common sense.  Remember how I've been preaching in a lot of my posts since this board has been opened that one should read as much as you can on reloading?  Well in a lot of the info I've read over the last 35 years says to call the maker when in doubt.

I love to teach people how to do things, but I'm also a believer that doing a bit of research on your own is one of the best teachers you can have.  Remington made the cases in doubt, Remington would be the best source to ask the question to.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 09:24:16 AM »
Twice I started a post to say that I used ALL R-P cases inerchangeably, even the old blue Peters, but chickened out.  Of course I was thinking 12 ga. anyway.  I learned something!

Offline Longshot Lil

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 07:01:26 AM »
Some things don't need suggested, some things just require common sense.  Remember how I've been preaching in a lot of my posts since this board has been opened that one should read as much as you can on reloading?  Well in a lot of the info I've read over the last 35 years says to call the maker when in doubt.

I love to teach people how to do things, but I'm also a believer that doing a bit of research on your own is one of the best teachers you can have.  Remington made the cases in doubt, Remington would be the best source to ask the question to.

Not the nicest thing that could have been said Delmonico.  Thanks for telling me I have no common sense.  At least I have sense enough to make sure I know what I'm doing before I end up blowing up my gun or get hurt myself!  As far as you "preaching in a lot of your posts since this board opened"...I haven't READ a lot of your posts because I am new to this board.  I was doing my research...sometimes research entails asking people for their life experiences, which is EXACTLY what I was doing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com