Author Topic: New Cimarron Thunderer!  (Read 9229 times)

Offline Sam Cobra

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Cimarron Thunderer!
« on: March 18, 2012, 08:21:07 PM »
Well my good pard Marshall John Joseph of Old Town Enterprises (www.oldtownfirearms.com) hooked me up with a new Cimarron Thunderer, SS 3 1/2 barrel in .357 like I have been wanting this weekend!  He is a good pard and if you need something I highly recommend him.

Now I really want to put some ivory type grips on but didn't want to pay the $200 from Cimarron.  I was going to order from Buffalo Brothers but they said Cimarron has changed the grip length and theirs no longer fit.  Any recommendations on who to try next?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1230
Re: New Cimarron Thunderer!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:38:57 PM »
...  I was going to order from Buffalo Brothers but they said Cimarron has changed the grip length and theirs no longer fit.  Any recommendations on who to try next?

I don't think that is correct.  They may be thinking of the Pietta version of the gun that Cimarron also sells called the Thunderball.  That grip is slightly different from the Uberti version.  Since you said Thunderer, I'm assuming you got the Uberti version?  (Uberti SS is satin finish, Pietta SS is high polish).

Offline Sam Cobra

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 08:39:44 AM »
Abilene, yes it is the Uberti made Thunderer.  They actually told me to measure the grip as they said the old one was about 3" long and the new one was about 3 1/4" and mine was 3 1/4

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:17:36 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »
Well now, that is interesting.  I work part-time at Cimarron and haven't heard anything about grip size changing.  I emailed Chris Ballard at Cimarron and he said he hadn't heard that but "it wouldn't surprise him".  I probably won't be back there for a month so can't measure them.  But I did measure my own Thunderer.  It is over 10 years old, and I have several sets of grips for it.  Wood grips on it are 3.18".  I have a set of unfitted Buffalo Bros. grips that also measure 3.18".  Another pair of unfitted wood grips are 3.16".  If I was to guess, it might be that SS guns have a slightly longer gripframe thus the longer grip, but that is a guess without having access to other new guns to measure.  Now back to your original question, Vintage Gun Grips in Florida carries some Thunderer grips: http://vintagegungrips.net/ao-u13.html - these people make these hard rubber/plastic grips for Cimarron as well, and I have a pair.  The Cimarron ones have the Cimarron rider in the oval at the top, but the ones on their website are just blank, which looks kind of odd.  Their site says they are available in ivory color.  Now here's the bad news on them.  My digital caliper decided to stop working (I just changed the battery recently so maybe bad connection?) but comparing mine to the Buffalo Bros. grips, the Vintage Gun Grips grip is slightly shorter (maybe 3").  So probably too short for your gun.  Good luck on your quest!

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 04:45:21 PM »
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Sam Cobra

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:34:19 PM »
Thanks pards...good info Abilene..and thanks Bugscuffle..I sent them an email!  :D

Offline Sam Cobra

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 07:44:58 PM »
Well..still no luck  :(

Western and Wildlife wonders didn't have the grips either.  He said if I could send him the grips he would make me a pair but then I wouldn't have it to shoot.

Offline Sam Cobra

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 07:50:23 AM »
Ok Pards..here is the deal. I decided after Abilene's posts to call Cimarron.  The gentleman I spoke to there said he was not aware of any recent changes to the grips on the Thunderer.  After discussing this with Larry at Gripmakers I took a chance and ordered a set of grips from him.  They arrived yesterday and they are going to fit just fine..so it was much ado about nuthin!  ::)

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 08:11:10 AM »
I just bought a Cimarron Mod P by Uberti with a 7.5" barrel and put grips on it from http://www.gripmaker.com/ who told me the also sold to Buffalo Brothers though mine are faux stag horn grips they did fit my Cimarron.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »
... They arrived yesterday and they are going to fit just fine...  ::)

Sounds good Sam, but remember the rules: when you get them fit you have to show us pictures  ;D

Offline Sam Cobra

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 06:59:40 AM »
Will do Abilene!  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com