Author Topic: GAF Class Structure and Battle Rifle Standards  (Read 88677 times)

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GAF Class Structure and Battle Rifle Standards
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 08:23:50 AM »
Sgt. Drydock;

Great post!

But, the C-96 Mauser was NEVER sold W/O the Stripper Clips, as there is no practical way of loading one otherwise w/o them. ???
It is the only way to properly disengage the Bolt Hold Open Mechanism after the rounds are stripped off into the magazine & it is pulled out from the slot it rests in for loading purposes & the disengagement of the B.H.O.M. w/ that removal. ::)
Most all of those I know that are involved in G.A.F. have rather Large Hands w/ fingers to match, which would make it extremely difficult to attempt to single load the C-96, which it wasn't designed to do in the first place. :P
So you either need to allow the use of the Stripper Clips or disallow the Use of the C-96 completely. :-*
I can point you in the proper direction for Lit. on the C-96 if you wish to view that my statement is rather accurate. ;)

As for the Ladies attire, there is enough Photographic & Written Evidence to prove that they completely matched what ever the Uniform that they were Aping, w/ the exception of the Inclusion of the Skirt. Basically they were a Female Version of the Uniform O&R's. Yes, they even wore Trowsers under their Skirts while on Campaign & Horseback riding back home. The most popular form of Head Cover seems to the Kepi from the same sources previously mentioned. ;)

As I recall, Webley took out their first Patent on a Speed Loader was in 1883 & the First U.S. Patent was out of Ordnance Dept. in 1889 for issue to the Navy. So to disallow Period Speed Loaders seems rather silly to me. ??? I can see Mordern ones, but ones of the Period? :o

Cheers
Flashy

Sir,

I understand your reasons for concerns on the awkwardness of single loading of the Mauser Military Automatic and the lack of speed loader usage for the Service Revolvers. Please allow me to express my views and some solutions to these issues.

The banning of the speed loaders and clips levels the playing field quite a bit. Weapons of various eras may compete fairly without the technological advantages of a more advanced system giving a shooter such a large mechanical edge. For example, the clip loading feature of the various Mausers, Mannlichers, Nagants and the M1895 Navy Rifle give them a decided advantage over the tube fed rifles like the Winchester Hotchkiss, Remington Keene, M1871/84 Mauser and single loading rifles such as the Remington Lees, Krags and early Lee Metford.

Most 19th century revolvers do not lend themselves to the use of a speed loader. The M1873 Colt, Lebel and Nagant revolvers are a few examples. The Smith & Wesson top breaks and hand ejectors, the Colt New Model Army and Navy Revolvers and Webleys have enough of an advantage with their faster ejection over the previously mentioned designs.

There are two ways to load the Mauser Military Automatic without a clip. A tool could be inserted into the clip slot that would hold the bolt to the rear while cartridges were inserted singly, but I do not know if this is legal for the GAF. The way I load the Mauser without a clip is to wrap
my fingers under the magazine and trigger guard and place my thumb over the retracted bolt and give it all a firm squeeze. This effectively retains the bolt to the rear so that it does not go home when the first cartridge is inserted. Some people place their thumb on the hammer and pull back on the bolt with the pointer and index fingers of the same hand, but I find this method awkward.

I would hate to see any of the allowed rifles and pistols disqualified. The experience of seeing all of these historic firearms manipulated and fired at one event is unprecedented!

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 10:22:45 AM »
On the C96, I wonder if it would be premitted to use the stripper clip to hold open, while inserting rounds manually, (to fit the single load method. I have tried this on my C-96, & I could load that way. If not, I would have to go along with having a strip of metal to hold open while manually loading.

However, my C-96 isn't operable to shoot, chamber is too wide, shells expand, & won't extract.

Dusty

Offline ColonelFlashman

• Thank'ee! And Damn Your Eyes.
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • '73 N.W.M.P. Field Uniform, Assit. Commis.
    • "Sir Harry Flashman's Memiors"
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 04:48:27 PM »
Sir,

I understand your reasons for concerns on the awkwardness of single loading of the Mauser Military Automatic and the lack of speed loader usage for the Service Revolvers. Please allow me to express my views and some solutions to these issues.

The banning of the speed loaders and clips levels the playing field quite a bit. Weapons of various eras may compete fairly without the technological advantages of a more advanced system giving a shooter such a large mechanical edge. For example, the clip loading feature of the various Mausers, Mannlichers, Nagants and the M1895 Navy Rifle give them a decided advantage over the tube fed rifles like the Winchester Hotchkiss, Remington Keene, M1871/84 Mauser and single loading rifles such as the Remington Lees, Krags and early Lee Metford.

Most 19th century revolvers do not lend themselves to the use of a speed loader. The M1873 Colt, Lebel and Nagant revolvers are a few examples. The Smith & Wesson top breaks and hand ejectors, the Colt New Model Army and Navy Revolvers and Webleys have enough of an advantage with their faster ejection over the previously mentioned designs.

There are two ways to load the Mauser Military Automatic without a clip. A tool could be inserted into the clip slot that would hold the bolt to the rear while cartridges were inserted singly, but I do not know if this is legal for the GAF. The way I load the Mauser without a clip is to wrap my fingers under the magazine and trigger guard and place my thumb over the retracted bolt and give it all a firm squeeze. This effectively retains the bolt to the rear so that it does not go home when the first cartridge is inserted. Some people place their thumb on the hammer and pull back on the bolt with the pointer and index fingers of the same hand, but I find this method awkward.

I would hate to see any of the allowed rifles and pistols disqualified. The experience of seeing all of these historic firearms manipulated and fired at one event is unprecedented!

Leveling the Playing Field has never worked & Never will. I've been in this shooting sport long enough, 1984, to have witnessed all attempts @ this & it's only changed things for the worse! >:(

I am Specifically made my statement about the C-96 Mauser Semi-Auto Pistole, which as I stated Previously, is not designed to be single loaded , the two methods of single loading cartridges you mentioned, while a good attempt, aren't worth a damn & can Only lend itself to an A/D because someones fingers wont be strong enough for the job, as for a special tool to hold the bolt open, one just might as well use a Stripper Clip in the first place as it was designed to be used. Plus I made No statements about Rifles that used stripper clips.  :P

There were also a style of period pistole stripper clip speed loader for single actions made out of Bakelite & a semi-ridged rubber used exparamently by various militaries around the world & in the U.S. :o

Oh & as I recollect, the Lee-Medford used a type of stripper clip for loading purposes, but it had a Magazine Cut-Off so that its 8 rounds were held in reserve & then single rounds were then dropped onto it for volley firing. The Magazine Cut-Off was only disengaged & the 8 round magazine employed in emergency situations only, as in your position possibly being over-run by a Fuzzy-Wuzzy mass charge. :P
A magazine cut-off was also employed w/ the Winchester-Hotchkiss & used in the Same method & under the similar circumstances as the Lee-Medfords. ;)

If you've never seen a Period Cylindrical Speed Loaders, they look & function Nothing like Modern Cylindrical Speed Loaders, are rather clumsy to use & unless handled expertly have tendency to dump the rounds before you are able to insert them into the chambers & because of this they give no real advantage.  :P
Colonel Sir Harry Paget Flashman VC KCB KCIE USMH;
Colonel 17th Lancers Staff Political Officer;
Staff Corp Commander & D.o.P. Command Staff
WartHog, Pistolero & Mounted Shootist
 :uk:  :usa:  :canada:  :dixie:  :ausie:

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:32:37 AM »

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 10:49:18 AM »
Leveling the Playing Field has never worked & Never will. I've been in this shooting sport long enough, 1984, to have witnessed all attempts @ this & it's only changed things for the worse! >:(

I am Specifically made my statement about the C-96 Mauser Semi-Auto Pistole, which as I stated Previously, is not designed to be single loaded , the two methods of single loading cartridges you mentioned, while a good attempt, aren't worth a damn & can Only lend itself to an A/D because someones fingers wont be strong enough for the job, as for a special tool to hold the bolt open, one just might as well use a Stripper Clip in the first place as it was designed to be used. Plus I made No statements about Rifles that used stripper clips.  :P

There were also a style of period pistole stripper clip speed loader for single actions made out of Bakelite & a semi-ridged rubber used exparamently by various militaries around the world & in the U.S. :o

Oh & as I recollect, the Lee-Medford used a type of stripper clip for loading purposes, but it had a Magazine Cut-Off so that its 8 rounds were held in reserve & then single rounds were then dropped onto it for volley firing. The Magazine Cut-Off was only disengaged & the 8 round magazine employed in emergency situations only, as in your position possibly being over-run by a Fuzzy-Wuzzy mass charge. :P
A magazine cut-off was also employed w/ the Winchester-Hotchkiss & used in the Same method & under the similar circumstances as the Lee-Medfords. ;)

If you've never seen a Period Cylindrical Speed Loaders, they look & function Nothing like Modern Cylindrical Speed Loaders, are rather clumsy to use & unless handled expertly have tendency to dump the rounds before you are able to insert them into the chambers & because of this they give no real advantage.  :P

Good Day Sir!

While I may disagree with some of your reasoning, I do respect your opinion and look forward to meeting you on the field at Ft. Hartsuff come next October.

However, my C-96 isn't operable to shoot, chamber is too wide, shells expand, & won't extract.

Dusty

Dusty, Sir,

You may have already looked into having your pistol relined, but I must say that  I used  Redmans as part of the resurrection process  of one of these unusual weapons.   http://www.redmansrifling.com/mauser.htm  They are a bit more expensive, but reasonable, and thier work is superb. Many have used them and all are very satisfied with thier work, but  I can not say the same for the other commodities that perform this service.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 11:46:36 AM »
Ah, Flashie, yer a pip, and its good to hear from you.

As for Speedloaders in general, its a technological limitation independent of time period, moreover I do not see the need to have folks scrabbling around looking for the rare preserved period loader, or spending money to recreate one, in an attempt to one-up other folks on the firing line, using what was largly an experimental item.  "Leveling the Playing field" really has not much to do with it.  Rather than say "You can use this one, but not that one"  simpler just to get rid of the things all together.

Now you bring up a highly valid point on the C-96.  I was not aware of the limitations you express in the Mauser design.  I'll research this per your request, and see what I can come up with.  I like seeing the Winston Churchills favorite sidearm on the line, we may need to make an allowance for it, as it is the only significant self loader seen in our time period. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 07:34:54 PM »
Gentlemen,

Just a thought. If we eliminated the time element from the matches and emphasized accuracy the use of speed loaders would not be an issue. The time element is something we inherited from CAS and may not be appropriate for GAF.

Of course I have been out in left field before.

Col Bull
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 09:01:34 PM »
No, this is a combat match, take away the timer and it becomes a target shoot.  In combat, speed of engagement is critical, and we are nothing if not a combat scenario oriented outfit.

Offline Bull Schmitt

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 09:19:19 PM »
I thought I would just run it up the flag pole and see if anyone saluted it. I think you are probably right.
Bvt Col Bull Schmitt
GAF Adjutant General
GAF Commander Department of the Atlantic
GAF Webmaster
SCORRS President & Webmaster
SASS #9535, SCORRS, GAF, NRA

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2008, 08:09:36 AM »
No, this is a combat match, take away the timer and it becomes a target shoot.  In combat, speed of engagement is critical, and we are nothing if not a combat scenario oriented outfit.
I agree. I also think we need to incorporate some stages that make you think a little.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2008, 06:58:34 PM »
I kind of like the full pistol reloads.  I thought I was getting better at it with my Remington conversion by the end of the Grand muster ;D
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 10:00:56 AM »
 Hello Gentlemen,

In the GAF list of approved firearms for use in GAF Marksmanship competitions... you have the
Colt 1871-72 OPEN TOP MODEL RIMFIRE listed. As I am sure most everyone here knows that there
are no repros that I am aware of that are made in rimfire. So why is it listed as such?

I am planning on shooting in the Scout catagory using an 1866 Yellow Boy short rifle and an 1871-72 Open
Top both in .44 special caliber but loaded with black powder. Are these two firearms acceptable
in that catagory? Thank you in advance for any help.

Shotgun Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2009, 01:21:22 AM »
Yes, both weapons are acceptable.  While weapons are often listed in their orginal calibers, the GAF recognizes the need for reasonable caliber substitutions.

Offline Shotgun Steve

• Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2009, 12:29:16 PM »
Thanks Sarge. I thought that was the answer I would recieve, but I don't like to assume anything. ;D
 Take Care
 Shotgun Steve
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same of them."

Home of the Plainsmen
http://lastoftheplainsmen.freeforums.org/index.php

NCOWS# 2910
STORM#  233
GAF# 693
U.S. Army
U.S. Marine Corp
Michigan Army National Guard

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 02:40:35 PM »
I am in the process of aquiring a Krag rifle for the GAF Muster in the fall.  I am not a reloader, so is ammo available in this caliber?
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 11:35:33 AM »
Unfortunatly, while Remington and Winchester do make runs of .30 US every year, it is loaded with a 180 jacketed soft point at 2450 FPS.  This ammo cannot be used at a GAF shoot, which requires a CAS spec lead bullet (Gas check allowed at Match discretion) at no more than 1400 fps.  I'm afraid you either need to reload, or find someone who does. 

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 03:12:06 PM »
TL -

Lots of reloading info and components available, if you can find someone to load for you ......

Although original ammunition had jacketed bullets, safety and target preservation dictate use of cast bullets only in this type of shooting, of course ......

There are some commercial custom loaders who offer .30-40 loads, but you would have to ensure that they will do them with cast bullets.
Here is one loader who offers it  (Hard Cast Lead 165 gr. bullet; price $30.94/20) - http://www.customcartridge.com/products/browse_legend.php

Here is one writeup you may find of interest - http://www.frfrogspad.com/kragrifl.htm
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2009, 02:35:05 PM »
.... a GAF shoot ..... requires a CAS spec lead bullet (Gas check allowed at Match discretion) .......

Are gas-checked bullets are allowed on the range at Ord for the GAF National Muster?

"And now for the rest of the story ...."
I am pondering a rather significant change of pace this year .... i.e. entering in the Mil-spec Repeater class, and using my .303 'Rifle, Magazine, Lee-Enfield'  (MLE) .....

Unfortunately, the bandolier in that photo is actually a rather glaring anachronism .... it is a Pattern 1903 bandolier, designed to accommodate cartridges held in 5-round chargers which came in with the introduction that year of the 'Rifle, Short, Magazine, Lee-Enfield' (i.e. SMLE)  The design of the MLE requires the magazine to be charged one cartridge at a time, so the correct accoutrement for it is the Pattern 1888 Bandolier.  I do have one of the rather nice reproductions of that bandolier offered by IMA .... just haven't ever gotten around to re-photographing my MLE with it ....

As an aside, here is one image of a Canadian Boer War serviceman with his Magazine Lee-Enfield rifle and revolver (almost certainly either a Colt Model 1878 or Colt New Service) and equipped with a Pattern 1888 bandolier .....  Trooper, Lord Strathcona's Horse -

This Boer War mounted unit was composed mainly of former North West Mounted Police (many of them still actively serving but granted leaves of absence to serve in South Africa) and western stockmen.  The unit was raised and equipped at the personal expense of Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal (Scottish-born Canadian financier and politician Sir Donald Smith, former Governor of the Hudspn's Bay Company, and President of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company.) 

Lord Strathcona's Horse was commanded by Colonel (later Sir) Samuel Benfield Steele ..... who has been referred to as the "Quintessential Mountie".   He was the third man to enroll  in the newly formed NWMP in 1873, and held the rank of Superintendent when assigned in 1898 to NWMP command in the Yukon Territory during the Klondike gold rush.  In 1899 he was granted leave of absence to serve in the Boer War.  Here he is in his uniform as Officer Commanding Lord Strathcona's Horse -
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 03:08:34 PM »
You would need to ask Pitspitr that, though I've yet to encounter any problems with the Gas Checks on my .30 US rounds.  BTW, was there a carbine version of the MLE?  Or the MLM for that matter?

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 10:37:16 PM »
Greetings, Sergeant!

Yes, there were standard carbine versions -

Carbine, Magazine Lee-Metford -

Carbine, Magazine Lee-Enfield -

These carbines were designed for issue to cavalry, primarily, and have no provision for a bayonet.  They had shallower 6-round magazines in lieu of the 10-round magazine of the MLM MkII  and MLE rifles (the MkI MLM rifle had an 8-round magazine.)

A special "contract carbine" model was produced for New Zealand, starting in 1900 ....  these were modified  MLM and MLE carbines with a shortened fore-end and nosecap with bayonet mount  for the Pattern 1888 bayonet -

Finally, in 1903, a similar contract carbine was produced for the Royal Irish Constabulary -

The Boer War was a great learning experience for the British military - they started out fielding traditional infantry and cavalry for the most part, but as the war progressed mounted infantry proved to be by far the most useful troops for the conditions encountered in South Africa.   However, the long infantry-pattern rifle was rather cumbersome for such troops,  as will be quite evident in these photos of Canadian Mounted Rifles ....

The standard method of carrying the infantry rifle on horseback, with the butt resting in a "short bucket" and steadied by a strap from the fore-end going around the right arm, is illustrated in these first two photos -
  - 

To be "at the ready" and able to dismount quickly,  the rifle was generally carried in one of these ways -
   - 

Note that both of the fellows above have regular slings on their rifles.  In this image of the 2nd Regiment of Canadian Mounted Rifles on the march, the fellow on the left  in front carries his rifle slung over the back, while the man beside him carries his across the saddle pommel (the arm strap is clearly visible dangling from the fore-end of that rifle -

At any rate, the unsuitability of the long rifle for mounted carry and the desire to have a standardized weapon in lieu of rifle and carbine versions resulted in the adoption in 1903 of the "Rifle, Short, Magazine Lee-Enfield"  - the renowned "SMLE" which served the British Empire so well during WWI -

Offline Drydock

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 03:47:07 AM »
Its interesting that the Americans and British, both engaged in irregular campaigns at the turn of the century, came to the same conclusion at the same time, both developing "Short Rifles" in 1903.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com