Author Topic: 66 Yellowboy  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
66 Yellowboy
« on: July 17, 2022, 11:30:50 PM »
I have a Cimarron 1866 Yellowboy. Some of the brass is duller then the rest. What is best to use to polish it?

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: 66 Yellowboy
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2022, 12:01:26 AM »
A lot of people use Flitz.  Cimarrons have charcoal blue screws, and Flitz will remove the charcoal blue it it isn't already worn off.  For that reason I used to use Nev-r-Dull when I was polishing up new showguns for Cimarron.  As for my own old '66, I prefer to let it Patina.  Many that I have seen have different amounts of patina on the side plates, so I guess that's normal.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 07:51:54 AM »

:)  PLUS ONE for Abilene  ;)

Some Lustrum ago, I flat gave up on polishing my Brass Guns.  Shooting Black Powder and Subs as a steady diet, gives my '66s and Henrys a nice sorta dull "Mustard" kinda colour.  Let us remember though, I'm some lazy and sitting around with a Can, Tube, Bottle, etc., of polish just doesn't thrill me.  Sorta like watching chrome rust inna parking lot.

People are Still Contagious.  Avoid 'em

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:41:32 AM »

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 09:02:59 AM »

I have been building up patina on my 1860 Henry since I bought it shooting smokeless and real black powder. After reading all the glowing comments about APP I tried it the last time I went to a shoot. It actually made more smoke than the real thing. It was not as powerful as the black and it left little black spots all over the brass. Semichrome polish wouldn't touch the spots. It took Brasso and a bunch of elbow grease to get back down to shiny brass. I will now start again to build up patina using real powders. Any APP I have left will be used for shotgun shells only.

Others may have had better results but I will never buy it again.
Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 10:17:02 AM »
Lucky, I had similar results shooting Cleanshot (before it became APP) in my '66.  It left dark spots and streaks, not an even patina. 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 08:54:52 AM »

:)  Gents  ;)

Whilst I don't disagree in totality, I do not find the "Spots" or "Splotchy" complaints sufficient for Poo Pooing APP.  I have found it to be a marvelous propellant for both Percussion and Suppository shooting, and have been shooting the stuff exclusively in my Brass Rifles.  Too much easier to obtain then Black Powder, just as effective as a propellant and when hunting the Wylie and elusive steel targets at seven to ten yards, just how much power does one need??  Not that I intend to be contrarily (of corse I do) but I find bad mouthing something because of the resulting or not resulting "patina" annoying.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 11:35:07 AM »
Pappy just added a photo to his first post above.  If you haven't seen it, take a look.  Pappy, I answered your message but something weird happened and I don't know if my response went through.  Anyway, I just said that looks like somebody took off the side plates and then polished up the rest.  Never saw anything like that.  Is the left side plate the same way?  Did you get the gun that way or did it tarnish like that while you had it?  Also wondering if maybe the side plate was off the gun for some reason and was laying on something that discolored it?

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 12:16:42 PM »
Howdy Yellow Boy people,

I wonder. If the receiver of these guns is investment cast and the side plates are machined from heavy gauge strip stock, the difference of the manufacturing of the raw metal (rolled strip vs, cast) might account for the difference in patina. I don't know if this is the case, but it make a good conspiracy theory.

Rev. Chase

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 12:40:39 PM »
Well, here's mine.  Last polished maybe 15 years ago?  And hasn't been shot much for the last 10 years.  There is definitely a different alloy from the frame to the side plates.   Never saw one as much difference as Pappy's though.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 01:10:31 PM »
Not planning to ever polish my ‘66 musket. Just let it age gracefully like me. Already doesn’t have any hair so it’s on it’s way. Hope it don’t get fat in the middle.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 04:59:51 PM »
Both sides are the same Abilene. If mine looked like yours it wouldn't be a big deal.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 05:16:30 PM »
This pic came from rarewinchesters.com , it is the opposite of the repros. 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2022, 07:24:13 PM »

Well, Mine ALL are kinda splotchy all over.  No pattern, no real difference from side plate to receiver.  No even by any means, but I just don't care actually.  It's not even whether or not I do or don't want "patina."  I'm just lazy about the outside appearance of my Brass Rifles.  So long as the function is spot on, it just doesn't matter.  Cowabunga!

Offline Lucky R. K.

• Purveyor of Fire & Brimstone
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2022, 09:12:25 AM »

If you are looking for a smooth patina on your brass frame gun do not use APP. The residue leaves little spots all over that do not look anything like a patina. I had to work hard with Brasso to remove the spots. I plan to build up a finish on the gun, but it will be done with real black powder.
Lucky  ;D
Greene County Regulators       Life NRA             SCORRS
High Country Cowboys            SASS #79366
Gunpowder Creek Regulators   Dirty RATS #568

The Wind is Your Friend

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2022, 01:48:55 PM »
Is there a way to make the bright brass look close to the center plates?

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2022, 01:56:49 PM »
I'm going to have to look closely at mine, if they are like that it's not so I've noticed.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2022, 02:53:18 PM »
Is there a way to make the bright brass look close to the center plates?

Well, shoot it with real black powder, and don't polish it any more.  But that will take a good while and the side plates might just keep getting darker, too.  Some people have gotten a little bit of patina head start by making a paste with BP fouling and a little water, and wiping that over the frame.  But that is only a small change in my experience.  There is also something called Brass Black (I think) but I'm not real sure what that would do.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2022, 10:05:17 AM »
 Just a heads up , I would not use the Birchwood Casey Brass Black for an antique look . I have used it on brass fittings and the results are a blackish blue finish .  ,,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2022, 10:06:34 AM »
Well, here's mine.  Last polished maybe 15 years ago?  And hasn't been shot much for the last 10 years.  There is definitely a different alloy from the frame to the side plates.   Never saw one as much difference as Pappy's though.
                           Very cool looking Abilene .,,,DT

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2023, 11:38:51 AM »
Pappy just added a photo to his first post above.  If you haven't seen it, take a look.  Pappy, I answered your message but something weird happened and I don't know if my response went through.  Anyway, I just said that looks like somebody took off the side plates and then polished up the rest.  Never saw anything like that.  Is the left side plate the same way?  Did you get the gun that way or did it tarnish like that while you had it?  Also wondering if maybe the side plate was off the gun for some reason and was laying on something that discolored it?
Plates have not been off and both sides are the same

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com