Author Topic: Light loads  (Read 9103 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Light loads
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 11:02:25 AM »
Most do shoot commercial bullets which tend to be hard cast. It's the BP shooters that tend to cast their own out of softer alloy.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 02:50:58 PM »
KLANG (The Bell Rings) ROUND 2

Cash Creek:  The reason you get hit with Bounce Back at all those SASS matches is Pee Poor target design, and Abomdable Target Stands.  The target hanger should not stick through a hole in the target and then forma hook.  It will cause bounce back.  A target plate hanging from a hook will hang vertical (bounce back).  Target stands should not have right angles and lumpy bumps (Rebar).  If you want to see how targets and stands should be made, visit "Arntzen Targets."  Remember however, shotgun poppers will generate bounce back no matter who makes them.  It has nothing to do with the type of shot.  It has to do with the Physics of Motion. 

Roscoe:  It is all driven by the Physics of Motion.  If you find that counterintuitive, it simply means your intuition is wrong.  This is not the forum to teach Physics.  I suggest you visit the library.  Check out a book on the Physics of Motion and couple that with a smattering of Ballistics.  A little education can do wonders for ignorance.

It is ever amazing to me how SASS/CAS groups will spend a ton of money to build facade(s) and a BBQ Pit but are too cheap to buy or make decent targets.  Oh, also, having your spent bullets deflecting DOWN into GRAVEL, will also cause those bullets/fragments to come back atcha.  Bare dirt is mo bedda.

PJ:  Bullet lead changes it properties under impact.  A soft lead alloy acts more like a liquid and "flows."  Smooshes out flat.  Makes cutesy jewelry.  Hard case contains more tin and antimony.  Tin and antimony do not "flow."  Tin and antimony fragment.  Bullet fragments will look more crystalline.  Mushroomed bullets look gooey.  Bullet fragments go in the same directions as mushroomed bullets when impacting a sloped surface.  If that surface is at negative camber at the base, the projectile deflects DOWN.

And YES!!!  Those whom tend to utilize that heathen fad smokeless propellants usually shoot Hard Cast Lead bullets.  Higher alloy content tend to fill out the mould better and give a prettier, shiny bullet compared to soft or pure lead.  Harder alloys were in answer to those who wanted to achieve higher velocities without jacket'd bullets.  Round balls on the other hand, don't need to be pretty.  Just kinda ... well.. Round.  Soft/Pure lead is also easier to stuff inna chamber.

Offline Roscoe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2018, 11:15:54 AM »
KLANG (The Bell Rings) ROUND 2

Roscoe:  It is all driven by the Physics of Motion.  If you find that counterintuitive, it simply means your intuition is wrong.  This is not the forum to teach Physics.  I suggest you visit the library.  Check out a book on the Physics of Motion and couple that with a smattering of Ballistics.  A little education can do wonders for ignorance.

Your arrogance is breathtaking.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 02:12:46 PM »

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2018, 05:27:14 PM »
Your arrogance is breathtaking.

wow.
Roscoe, (newby) , with 53 posts ,
calling
Coffinmaker (Hivernaught, Retired Gunsmith, with more than 4400 posts ) and DECADES of SASS shooting experience

arrogant.

that is amazing.

Around here, Roscoe, we call it
hard won experience and an intolerance for igorance.

I myself will only touch on the variety of reasons for splatter, ricochet and bounce back.

metallurgical composition
metallurgical elasticity
metallurgical deformation in dynamic interactions
hardness vs brittleness versus , well everything
conservation of momentum
dynamics and physics of impacts between elastic and inellastic bodies

I could go on, but, yes, it is "higher level physics"
much of it *is* counterintuitive
unless you have an advanced degree (or the equivalent experience)  in physics and metallurgy and dynamic impacts then
yes, more study is recommended.

-and actually you have been given A LARGE NUMBER of good reasons to  your original question.
-
oh, and by the way, whilst Will Ketchum is the NCOWS mod here, Coffin, Major2,  and I are also mods and you are very close to "being nasty" and you may officially consider this a warning.
-

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2018, 06:09:28 PM »
wow.
Roscoe, (newby) , with 53 posts ,
calling
Coffinmaker (Hivernaught, Retired Gunsmith, with more than 4400 posts ) and DECADES of SASS shooting experience

arrogant.

that is amazing.

Around here, Roscoe, we call it
hard won experience and an intolerance for igorance.

Professor   
I may have to adjustify my thinking some - I thought ole coffinmaker might have enjoyed that -  ;D -- like - jeez!! I got his attention didnt I --- breathtakingly arrogant is a whole different deal than just plain old nasty arrogant - breathtaking is kinda special ya know. It takes finesse to do breathtaking  ;)   If hes really offended I'll make him a cup of coffee ..............

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2018, 09:36:30 PM »
Oh yes perhaps coffin was really having fun, and i may be the one who needs more  coffee
Yhs pf mvl
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2018, 10:11:37 PM »
I think the best point to be observed from this is we've all been hit by splatter, whether at the range or on social media. And it's uncomfortable when it happens.

And whatever load you shoot that feels comfortable and keeps you in the game, is the perfect load. 

RCJ  :)
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2018, 10:28:21 PM »
I think the best point to be observed from this is we've all been hit by splatter, whether at the range or on social media. And it's uncomfortable when it happens.

And whatever load you shoot that feels comfortable and keeps you in the game, is the perfect load. 

Hear hear
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2018, 10:44:24 PM »

That part was interesting - anybody got hit by splatter at a range downunder and it got to the ears of the powers - that range is closed - no quarer given - you might get the range licence back ifn ya take care of the problem - but ya got a lot of convincing to do first

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com