Confederate Grey
1 (16.7%)
Federal Blue
3 (50%)
N.W.M.P. Red
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: October 14, 2004, 12:47:12 PM

Author Topic: Which way ta go fer new uniform????  (Read 5503 times)

Offline Calamity Jane

• Top Active Citizen
    • Calamity Jane's
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Which way ta go fer new uniform????
« on: October 07, 2004, 12:47:12 PM »
The shootin season is purdy much over up here 'n' I figger it's time fer a new uniform before spring but I donno which way to go....

I'z a 1st Louie in the Grand Army of the frontier, Dept of the Missouri, Artillery. I shoot a pair of '58 Remingtons or '73 clones, a '66 Yellowboy, 'n' a SxS hammerless scattergun all in Holy Black. I portray a time period of about 1875. I'z got a single-breasted Artillery shell coat now in CSA Grey, but that don't gotta fit into the new look.

1) I waz raised 'mongst Southerners 'n' think the CSA grey officer's uniforms is sharp as kin be !

2) Federal blue would fit more with me character (seein as how ol' CJ #1 waz ferever sneakin off with the troops  ::) )

3) I live in Grandmother's Land 'n' the NWMP had a artillery unit in this part of the country at the time of the Riel Rebellion, so NWMP would be outta line either (though the NWMP use a different system of rank, so thar ain't no 1st Lt).

#1 or #2 offer off-the-shelf clothes and #3 would be custom tailored (fer about the same price) by a local feller who's purdy knowledgable in NWMP clothing.

No matter which option I chose, it's a bit tongue in cheek since none of these forces had wimin in command positions.

What ya'll think? And why?

A puzzlecated old Calamity Jane....

Offline Terry

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Which way ta go fer new uniform????
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 12:59:22 PM »
I think the artillery services jacket looks really spiffy - federal blue.  I really think by 1875 most southerners would have given up their worn out gray uniforms - for the most part anyway.  I guess some are still wearing their GGgrandfathers uniform :)

Even though uniform regulations had changed by 1875, new goods were very slow in coming to the western theatre.  They still had huge stocks of wartime goods on hand.  Shoot, they didn't run out of sky-blue kersey for over 20 years.  So, as far as federal uniforms, Civil War attire would still be correct.

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 02:24:05 PM »
So far everyone has agreed with me that you should go with the Mountie uniform  ;)  There's been one prowlin' around here tryin' to haul me back to the great white north on some trumped up charges:

Here he is buyin' information from Terry Lane who no doubt sold me out for a can of Spam & some hardtack. I can usually stay a step or two ahead of him, that red coat don't afford him much in the way of camoflage. The one time he did catch up to me (which may be part of "The Cowboys" segment filmed at the recent Gunfire in the Hills regional that should show on The Outdoor Channel around March) I easily broke out of those cheap Canadian handcuffs.

John has researched his Mountie impression down to the most minute detail, he's currently having a '73 Uberti modified to match his original NWMP 1876 musket! If you ever have any questions he'd be the one with the answers.

George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:21:10 AM »

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 04:36:06 PM »
I voted for Federal Blue since that is your impression but my heart said to go with the NWMP look

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Brazos Bucky Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 04:55:04 PM »

:D :D :D  I thinks you aught to go with the Mountie colors!  Yep, there is reason to go with the blue and the gray, but heck the guys in all those colors had women in all kinds of good positions! :o :o :o :o :o :o Opps, excuse me, I didn't know what I was a sayin'! ::)  {Whisper mode:  theehee, did too! Just bein sassy! :D End Whisper mode:}

BB ;D
Brazos Bucky
"A man oughta do what he thinks is right."
BOLD #566, NRA Life (Endowment)
SASS #59058, SBSS #1605, SCORRS

Offline Terry Lane

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 05:09:27 PM »
C.J.,
my vote goes to Federal Blue.

L.G. It was two cans of spam.

Terry Lane, Nebraska Territory
Terry Lane, Nebraska Territory,
Nebraska's Official Hon. Col. Wm. F. "Buffalo Bill" Cody
Grand Army of the Frontier Department of the Missouri Chief of Scouts

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 05:22:34 PM »
Yepper, its just what always happens...
Ya bust yer buns gettin' a full fig 42nd BW Officers rig, learn to play the pipes, outgrow the whole schmeer over 10 years, then find out its 'just right' for CAS after you sell it to another CAS feller in Canada, eh, who is remodellin' it for his full fig, (hee, hee, hee!) then L.G. shows us a pic of a Pard in Iowa dressed to the nines and looking like Nine Toe Jim, and now Callam wants us to pick HER uniform? Holy Moley, what is the world comin' too!
I vote for a Vivandiere, NOBODY is doing that one!
Best regards and good whatever!
'Ol Gabe, I think...

Offline El Peludo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 10:33:41 PM »
Ol' Gabe, I think you musta missed the wagon a bit; there are several ladies portraying Vivandierres in CW re-enactment circles.  In fact, there is a group that is dedicated to remembering and immortalizing them.  I'd offer you some web sites, but I don't recall any, offhand.  Daughters of the Confederacy, and Sons of Confederate Veterans may have a link, as well as other CWRE sites.

And, CJ, I think the RCMP might be pretty spiffy.  But how would ya' accomodate the two pistol situation?  And still look authentic, that is.

Respectfully submitted:
El Peludo (The Hairy Man)
Las Vegas, Nevada Territory
Lifer in: Life, NRA, NAHC, SASS, SBSS,WARTHOG, DIRTY RATS
IBEW(Retired), Shooter since 1955.
             Roop County Cowboy (FF)
             Original Member: Grass Valley Rangers,
             Camp Beale Land and Cattle Company.

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 01:33:44 PM »
El Peludo, Kind Sir,
Thanks for the comments about the CW gals, they do a super job and I've had a chance to role play with a few at some past CW doo-dahs as a British Observor. I probably should have been more specific in my post as I was referring to the French-Canadienne flavor of Military Vivandieres and not those from the downstream side of the Border, sorry if I was misleading.
Go for #3 Callam, its a great concept!
Best regards and good reading!
'Ol Gabe
P.S. In my earlier reenacting days I was also known as Aenngguss MacNauggett, DQM, Late of the 42nd, The Black Watch, on Extra-Regimental Duty as an Observor, the War of Northern Aggression, Virginia, etc. and Pipe Major for The Territorial Border Guards, A Fencible Regiment.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 11:08:19 PM »
Aloha, Calamity Jane!

I think you're right about the Southern uniforms bein' cool.

RCMP uniforms are pretty classy, as well.

My question is this:  What on earth made you decide on Artillery as your chosen field? ::) ;) :D  Do you get to shoot your Beautifully made piece very often? Did you have to get a permit?

Have fun makin' your choice!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com